Squats

I do what works for me. Thats all I have to offer.

And Octo - in response to my blog since I know you're reading this and Im too lazy to respond both places... I wont overdo the carbs...

Feeling good about this, now to go do cardio, some shallow squats with weights fro quads since I did deep and light yesterday for hams.... Jerkface 2 days my ass! Talk to yall tomorrow.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried getting back into squats a few years ago. I got a sensation that felt like someone jabbing knitting needles into the outer sides of my knees. A few people told me that might be impingement of overly tight hip muscles.

I never believed that until recently. My knee, which was operated on 8 years ago, started popping, grinding and getting inflamed when I was on the elliptical. I started sitting in a half lotus position for other reason not related to workouts. At the same time I took about two weeks off of the gym. When I came back the popping, grinding and inflammation was gone. I was glad, because I thought it was cartilage debris.

My right leg, having had that problem for years has been noticeably weaker than my left. Inspired by the change I started doing leg presses again with my right leg. I've been happy with the results so far. If the good results keep coming I may try to find a good weight lifting coach to get me going with squats again.

RUZ - I loved your reply that was great stuff! I do ATG squats with a spotter at heavy weight. I also take a wider more sumo stance with toes outward because it is easier for me to get all the way down that way. I've never had knee problems. Also I agree with you on the smith machine. I don't use them because I am not a big fan of machines but if I didn't have a spotter I would agree with your it is much safer. I also found working on front squats helped me stop the tendency to lean forward.

Thanks for the advise mary!!

I've been trying front quats..but I just can't seem to find a comfortable bar position. I actually tried front box squats to reduce the risk of killing myself! I figured if I couldn't get up I could just simply "throw" the bar forward....maybe if it put a big dent in the nice wooden floors the have in my gym it might make them think about buying a proper squat rack

To me this is why you need standards. It helps you keep quality in your training.

Once the exercises you use as strength tests become poorly defined it is a short road to them being poorly executed.

If the bench is to "somewhere near my chest", the next time you max it might stop a little further from your chest. You used more weight, but are you stronger?

If your max numbers are done "with a little spot", the next time you max how do you rate the spot? It might have been a little more. You used more weight, but are you stronger?

If you max out with dbells, are they the same size, do they hit your chest earlier or at a different angle? Is your rep with 100 and deep as your rep with 90 was? You used more weight, but are you stronger?

When you test yourself, squat to parallel, bench to the chest, deadlift from the floor. These things won't change. If you use more weight you are stronger.

To me this is why you need standards. It helps you keep quality in your training.

Once the exercises you use as strength tests become poorly defined it is a short road to them being poorly executed.

If the bench is to "somewhere near my chest", the next time you max it might stop a little further from your chest. You used more weight, but are you stronger?

If your max numbers are done "with a little spot", the next time you max how do you rate the spot? It might have been a little more. You used more weight, but are you stronger?

If you max out with dbells, are they the same size, do they hit your chest earlier or at a different angle? Is your rep with 100 and deep as your rep with 90 was? You used more weight, but are you stronger?

When you test yourself, squat to parallel, bench to the chest, deadlift from the floor. These things won't change. If you use more weight you are stronger.

THIS!

I could not possibly agree more with everything you wrote.

r.

NO NO NO!! I'm BIG on correct form as I can't deal with having time off through injury..I go MAD! Truly evil

I also write down absolutely everything I do in the gym with great detail and walk around with a stop watch. I time my rests because that's the only way I can get a true picture of if I am progressing or not. I found I was resting for longer periods as I was increasing the weights and was concerned therefore about how true my strength increases really were. Obviously you need longer rests wigh heavier weights, but timing my rests is the only way I can see if I am truly progressing in my opinion,,they say I'm quite anally retentive in they gym..hahahhah!

I do things correctly that's why I was saying that I only use microscopic weights when squatting compared to what other women use but that doesn't necessarily mean I have worse legs As I don't have a spotter, I also use dumbells exclusively for bench pressing as they are far safer and I like the way you can get a better stretch at the bottom than you can with a bar. When I started working out I always wanted to use the biggest weight I could handle and often didn't use a full ROM. Now I'm over that macho crap and as I'm doing doggcrapp training at the mo, the 10 second negatives on most exercises forces you to adopt correct form. Sometimes I do 10-20 reps at the end of an exercise with a very limited ROM, but this is only after I have worked to failure with a full ROM and rest pausing techniques..also i never do this with squats. With squats I generally do 4-8 heavy reps, followed by about 20reps with a lower weight (as indicated in DC training).

As regards the front squats..well we all have to learn new exercises from time to time to stop boredom and stagnation setting in. Although I am poor, I pay for a couple of hours with a professional trainer when learning any of the olympic lifts or these types of compound exercises. 2 plates may be nothing for you but I weight 8 stone and only started squatting this year so I don't think its too crappy to be lifting more than my own weight with deadlifts and squats using correct form. Hopefully within a year I'll be able to lift double my weight...but don't get me wrong, form comes first, weight increases second

OMG don't start on deadlifts!I've always done straight leg deadlifts but have recently started to learn the classic deadlift..I've got bruises all over my shins..is that a good sign?¿

OMG don't start on deadlifts!I've always done straight leg deadlifts but have recently started to learn the classic deadlift..I've got bruises all over my shins..is that a good sign?¿

It's great - if my memory serves me well, bruised shins add roughly 30 points of cool to your lifting and physique Oh, and it also means that you manage to keep the bar close to your body, which is a good thing.

It's great - if my memory serves me well, bruised shins add roughly 30 points of cool to your lifting and physique Oh, and it also means that you manage to keep the bar close to your body, which is a good thing

Thanks! That makes me feel better! Going to have to start wearing shin pads to the gym..i don't mind making the bruises in the first place, but when you hit an old bruise again with the bar the pain is horrible

One comment though..I notice the deadlifts more in my quads than back..aren't they supposed to be a back thickness exercise? Given, my back is probably stronger than my quads proportionally, but I'm still not sure if I am doing them right..the straight leg deadlifts I've done for years I feel mainly in my back and ass, but not these!

I've checked out all the videos on youtube and lots of stuff written about correct form and I'm doing the best I can but no-one does deadlifts in my gym so no-one can help/advise me..can't wait to get back to the UK and get down Dorian Yates Gym and get a few expert pointers! 2.5 weeks to go and counting......

I love this board and accept everyone who comes on here, but felt an "octo" bashing by certain persons wasnt cool.

Well I haven't been here long but I like Octo too! Nice sarcastic sense of humour and definite lack of body hair..a winning combination if you ask me!

Thanks! That makes me feel better!

Cheers!

Going to have to start wearing shin pads to the gym..i don't mind making the bruises in the first place, but when you hit an old bruise again with the bar the pain is horrible

Sorry to hear that. I had the same problem some time ago, but it went away once I got the technique nailed. It simply takes time, I guess.

One comment though..I notice the deadlifts more in my quads than back..aren't they supposed to be a back thickness exercise? Given, my back is probably stronger than my quads proportionally, but I'm still not sure if I am doing them right..the straight leg deadlifts I've done for years I feel mainly in my back and ass, but not these! I've checked out all the videos on youtube and lots of stuff written about correct form and I'm doing the best I can but no-one does deadlifts in my gym so no-one can help/advise me..can't wait to get back to the UK and get down Dorian Yates Gym and get a few expert pointers! 2.5 weeks to go and counting......

I'm no expert on this, so you might as well disregard the following advice, but I think it might be because you're squatting down too low - your ass should be slightly above parallel. A video would be really helpful, though. I'm sure someone else will have more info on this.

ruz - we sound the same in the gym. yes I use a watch too and I use DB's for bench too because i like that is forces you to stabilze the weights! I use a clean grip for my front squats but I've seen videos of Octo posted on here using the crossed arm grip. you can always put a towel wrapped around the bar to help with the bruises. or one of the pads which a lot of people on here don't like. as far as deadlifts my suggestion would be make sure your getting your butt down low and powering through your butt and hams by keeping your neck up high. make sure your piushing through your heels and keeping them on the ground. you want to maintain the lumbar curve of the back and not round your back to get the weight up. Keep your arms locked out. I love deadlifts!

I'm no expert on this, so you might as well disregard the following advice, but I think it might be because you're squatting down too low - your ass should be slightly above parallel. A video would be really helpful, though. I'm sure someone else will have more info on this.

I do have my ass slightly above paralell, bar in the middle of my feet and shoulders slightly infront of the bar at the start..I think maybe I go wrong with the execution. I would love to make a video so you guys could give me some advise but really...I'm too embarassed to do it at the gym, I'm new there are don't know the people yet and they may think I'm a bit of a prick or something

Oh MaryStella, I do use a pad on the squat bar..always! I don't prticularly like big traps on a woman so I never work my traps directly so I need the extra cushioning. Infact, I only started doing squats when I changed my gym because the old one didn't have a pad and I was constantly covered in these love-bite type bruises all over my shoulders which were very unattractive! I know the guys think a pad is a bit sissy but I'm too old to care!

I love this board and accept everyone who comes on here, but felt an "octo" bashing by certain persons wasnt cool.

Well I haven't been here long but I like Octo too! Nice sarcastic sense of humour and definite lack of body hair..a winning combination if you ask me!

You watch your tongue around us hairy ones, mister!

Mister? I'm a woman!hahahhhahhahaha

Though Octo and I have got a lot of things in common, as mentioned before a hate of body hair and also, we both think size is of the utmost importance! But don't worry, there are a lot of women out there who like "furry" men...I just don't happen to be one of them! Maybe it's living in a hot climate but there's something not very attractive about the way hairy men shed..and when its hot it all seems to stick to me! Argh!!!

My Ex used to wax "back, sack and crack" once a month and he was smooth as a baby..mmmmmmm

I've just dropped in and want to know how a topic on Squats progressed to shaving pubic hair

Soz M8..it must be my fault..always seem to have a way of lowering the tone of the conversation..anyway, don't worry.-.it's not relevant to you! In Scotland...any extra "insulation" is fine in my book (especially if you wear a kilt) LOL

ROTFL....

Thank GOD "Octo" isn't hairy.... Anywhere....

this thread used to be kinda cool....

I agree. Unfortunately, it's an 'intriguing' conversation about how cool clean-shaven pretty boys are now