Boxing

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone here box? I started a month ago (hence my distance from the forum) and I have to admit I'm addicted. I shadowbox wherever I go, haha.

It'd be cool to have a few people on the forum who do box so we can talk about it.

Yeah i used to train, at one of those underground hardcore gyms. Those are the best becasue they teach the real art not cardio boxing. I don't train boxing any longer becasue i train grappling and am much more pasionate about grappling, but i might train again in the future.

• 4 months later...
I want to start boxing too. I don't know anything about it (except in a very general way but there's a gym that offers classes here.

Anyone have any tips? I've been shadowboxing but I look ridiculous.

Read Bruce Lee's "Toa of Jeet Kune Do".It has good tips on proper punching not to mention great philosophy about the spirit and martial arts.You can buy it or download it somewhere on the net.

I want to start boxing too. I don't know anything about it (except in a very general way but there's a gym that offers classes here.

Read Bruce Lee's "Toa of Jeet Kune Do".It has good tips on proper punching not to mention great philosophy about the spirit and martial arts.You can buy it or download it somewhere on the net.

Nothing against Bruce Lee, but I would think a book aimed specifically at boxing would be better for learning boxing. I haven't looked too much into it, the only books about boxing I've read is Jack Dempsey 'Championship fighting' (I think) which was interesting but felt outdated (he was mostly active in the 10s and 20s, even though the books is from the 50s) and a book from the swedish boxing asociation (it was basic but good) . Since boxing is a sport with pretty long tradition I'm sure there are plenty of books around.

• 2 weeks later...

So Heres my analysis of my first day boxing.

1) Jump more rope than a ten year old girl, almost throw up, jumps some more rope, die.

2) Get the crap beat out of you by someone half your size (she is 5'2 im 6'4.)

3) Forget all the weight training, cycleing,anything thats not boxing, or even the notion that your in good shape; because that stuff is freaking exhausting.

4) Jump more rope, followed by seemingly endless steps, pushups, situps, and pullups.

5) When you cant hold your arms out at eye level, then box again.

So yeah that was FREAKING INTENSE! i was asked to come back tomorrow so im pretty stoked about it ill keep you guys informed

Nothing against Bruce Lee, but I would think a book aimed specifically at boxing would be better for learning boxing. I haven't looked too much into it, the only books about boxing I've read is Jack Dempsey 'Championship fighting' (I think) which was interesting but felt outdated (he was mostly active in the 10s and 20s, even though the books is from the 50s) and a book from the swedish boxing asociation (it was basic but good) . Since boxing is a sport with pretty long tradition I'm sure there are plenty of books around.

Bruce Lee trained in Western Boxing during his quest to perfect his fighting. I'm sure he took that into account.

Also, the art that Bruce Lee studied first was Wing Chun. Samuel Kwok, a master in Wing Chun, trained British Bare Knuckle Boxing Champion Paddy Monaghan in the use of the Wing Chun punch. Monaghan won that championship with that punch. I think Tao of JKD will be more than relevant. You should learn as much as you can. A weapon you pick up somewhere else, might be one your opponent hasn't learned to overcome.

So Heres my analysis of my first day boxing.

1) Jump more rope than a ten year old girl, almost throw up, jumps some more rope, die.

2) Get the crap beat out of you by someone half your size (she is 5'2 im 6'4.)

3) Forget all the weight training, cycleing,anything thats not boxing, or even the notion that your in good shape; because that stuff is freaking exhausting.

4) Jump more rope, followed by seemingly endless steps, pushups, situps, and pullups.

5) When you cant hold your arms out at eye level, then box again.

So yeah that was FREAKING INTENSE! i was asked to come back tomorrow so im pretty stoked about it ill keep you guys informed

This pretty well sums it up.

I remember when I got my first heavy bag and was like "man I'll beat on this thing for like 30 minutes a day after a workout." I'd usually be lucky to get 3-5 minutes on that thing before feeling like I'd been at the gym for a full workout.

Bruce Lee trained in Western Boxing during his quest to perfect his fighting. I'm sure he took that into account.

Also, the art that Bruce Lee studied first was Wing Chun. Samuel Kwok, a master in Wing Chun, trained British Bare Knuckle Boxing Champion Paddy Monaghan in the use of the Wing Chun punch. Monaghan won that championship with that punch. I think Tao of JKD will be more than relevant. You should learn as much as you can. A weapon you pick up somewhere else, might be one your opponent hasn't learned to overcome.

Didnt mean to imply the book would be useless or completely irrelevant, just that it probably wouldnt be an optimal first choice if learning boxing is the goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been boxing since summer, and I've made a lot of progress. I'm a registered fighter now, but I have a month or two of intense training until I can compete. I have had my fourth thumb injury and am trying to learn to protect it while I take some time off to let it heal ie. learn how to bend it again.

I can say that boxing has given me INSANE progress. 2 1/2 hours twice a week plus roadwork gets you in shape, no matter what. Plus it's awesome being the only registered boxer in my province, probably in the country. Once I get back (tomorrow or Monday), I'll start a blog up to keep people updated.

• 4 weeks later...