Macro-nutrient ratios: Is my diet imbalanced for my goals?

Hey All,

So I've got to food journalling the past few weeks, and finally got to number crunching. I'm not concerned at all about the types of foods I'm eating (so long as they're vegan, wholesome, and nutritious), but more the relative amounts of each. Can some of you knowledgeable folks advise me whether my macros/calorie-intake is off the mark for my goals? I'm 6'2", 180lbs, 11-14% BF, 24yo male who has a pretty darn fast metabolism and has trouble packing on muscle. I'd really like to see myself up to 200 in the next 6 months.

Average day: 162g fat (all healthy sources), 322g carbs (likewise), 203g protein

Total calories: 3,810

Breakdown (% of cals): 40% from fats, 36% from carbs, 23% from protein

Too much fat maybe? Not enough carbs? More/less calories? Any advise would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks All!

Steve

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Troy's height, but check out this journal for some great tips. If you read the whole thing, you'll also see his trials and tribulations figuring out what works for him as far as food.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8649

When you said... "I don't care what the foods are as long as they're Vegan and wholesome"... I don't really know what you mean by that, cuz I think the types of foods plays a major role in your success.

Good luck

Your calories are probably fine, but i don't see 40 percent fat doing anything postive, I'd say up your carbs and drop the fat. i'd say 60/20/20 will give you much better gains. I think carbs are the most miss understood and underappriated part of nutrition. You'll have to eat more total volume becasue carb sources are less calorie dense.

couture547... and your basing your opinion of a recommended macronutrient breakdown on what? Your advice sounds like a GREAT macronutrient ratio for an ENDURANCE athlete.

just sayin.

Based on that he's looking for a change and is looking for recommations, his ratios right now are very similar to what i see alot of people doing on here and i disagree with them. But he can do what he wants and you can do what you want

couture547... and your basing your opinion of a recommended macronutrient breakdown on what? Your advice sounds like a GREAT macronutrient ratio for an ENDURANCE athlete.

just sayin.

Based on that he's looking for a change and is looking for recommations, his ratios right now are very similar to what i see alot of people doing on here and i disagree with them. But he can do what he wants and you can do what you want

Why don't you just answer the lady's question?

just sayin.

Why don't you just answer the lady's question?

he did.

Zack you erased your last post, before I could reply.

I think you have been around long enough Zack to know that this about the protein quantity vs muscle building argument that has been around sense the dawn of Veganism.

Nothing personal Zack

Hope you're doing great.

I don't get how i didn't answer the ?'s. In my opinon he's getting enough protein, it equals 218 grams a day, that is a ton of protein. His fat is too high and his carbs are too low for gaining mass IMO. not to say he couldn't gain muscle with that much fat becasue he could, but i think he'd be better off with more good carbs. The strongest guys in the world and the strongest guys i know eat alot of food and don't limit there carbs. If he's looking to just be cut then i'd have different advice

it equals 218 grams a day, that is a ton of protein.

Case closed!

I'm confused, your saying he needs more then that? I can just about guaranty he gets better gains with the addition of added carbs over more protein

You're going to have to find someone else to argue your opinion with.

to vegan joe:

Your going to have to find someone to argue yours. Your the one that has started the debate. I gave the TS my opionion and i'm sticking too it until i see others triving on protein powders/ nuts/ seeds/ soy products. Look at the Vegans that has the most impressive physiques the guy from Isreal 15 percent protein. Look at any strongmans diet, a ton of carbs, not sure Ryan's diet from here but i'd imgaine he gets plenty of carbs and he's a stud

the guy from Isreal 15 percent protein.

Protein 20%

straight from his profile page.

Yeah, i had the protein and fat mixed, but yeah guy is a stud and has the same recommendation i have about eatting natural unprocessed whole foods for protein not processed soy and plenty of carbs

to vegan joe:

Your going to have to find someone to argue yours. Your the one that has started the debate. I gave the TS my opionion and i'm sticking too it until i see others triving on protein powders/ nuts/ seeds/ soy products. Look at the Vegans that has the most impressive physiques the guy from Isreal 15 percent protein. Look at any strongmans diet, a ton of carbs, not sure Ryan's diet from here but i'd imgaine he gets plenty of carbs and he's a stud

Is he the rule or the exception?

Wouldn't say it's a rule, but carbs the norm of extremely strong people. can't think of any strongmen on extremely low carb diets. Problem with the vegan diet and extremly high protein diet is that you can't get a percent much over 20 with natural foods.

All I'm saying is he answered her question, it's his opinion whether anyone else thinks it's correct or not.

Stupid to argue over...

No. She's asking him what he is basing his opinion on, you know like were did he get his opinion from.

From personal experience. I've done it all low carb mostly animal products, low carb vegans, High fat omni, low fat omni, many versions of the raw food diet and many others, so i've tried some things. Besides me, just about any strong person i've ever talked to says eat huge, but clean with plenty of good protein, good carbs, good fats