2 questions...

Hi everyone. I'm new here (just posted a mini intro on the Introductions page) and I have two questions. Apologies ahead of time if these have been answered before...

1. What are your opinions on stretching? Is it best to stretch before lifting (after a warm-up) to get the muscles ready? Do you also stretch after the workout? I used to always stretch after my workout, but then I was told you should flex instead and keep the muscles hard afterward and stretching will damage this. Maybe this is total crap advice, or maybe it's not. Would love to hear your suggestions!

2. If you're looking to build some muscle (I'm not talking some major bulking here, just a little bit to fill your shirts out better for example) is it best to do full body workouts and hit each muscle group in a workout (or a few muscle groups) or do you recommend doing one day for back, one for legs, etc. And if so, why?

Thanks!

I am only going by what a trainer I used to use told me here (he was very knowledgeable though), he said it is best not to stretch before a weight training workout but do a warm up, like hip twists, arm spins, etc.

I have been doing two different workouts alternating three times a week that focuses more on multiple muscle group exercises for about 3 weeks now and have been noticing good increases in strength and gaining on the muscles, but we are all different.

Stretching before lifting increases injury prevalnce.

You shouldn't train in different ways depending on the amount of muscle you want, find a program/split that fits with your life and start following it. Full body, half body splits, push/pull, 3-,4- or 5-splits. All are kinda popular and the best thing about all of them is that you don't have to worry about building too much muscle.