Can't Eat...

I did a detox where I pretty much went raw for a week. Drank lots of water.

Noticed while on the detox that cooked food was too filling too fast for me, and made me feel really tired. Okay, no big deal, raw is pretty sweet.

Then my appetite started decreasing.

Then I was unable to keep food down.

It's been like this about 3 weeks now. I'm not eating much of anything. I have no idea why, but I can't seem to keep food down. No, I'm not sick.

Any advice?

I did a detox where I pretty much went raw for a week. Drank lots of water.

Noticed while on the detox that cooked food was too filling too fast for me, and made me feel really tired. Okay, no big deal, raw is pretty sweet.

Then my appetite started decreasing.

Then I was unable to keep food down.

It's been like this about 3 weeks now. I'm not eating much of anything. I have no idea why, but I can't seem to keep food down. No, I'm not sick.

Any advice?

Doctor.

Strange.But i know what a doctor will say."you need to eat meat and take these pills".Post your diet and amounts and also your training.

Not necessarily. You have to look around, but even in Alaska I found a doctor that was willing to work within my limits.

No, I'm not sick.

That's debatable

lol, I guess you're right!!

First advice would be to seek professional help.

Yeah...uh...I appreciate everyone giving this advice and, believe me, I'd give the same. The problem is that, because of my fibromyalgia, doctors will always rush to blame that as the reason. It doesn't matter what's wrong with me. If I'm stuck on the floor unable to move, it's fibromyalgia. Vision blurred? It's fibromyalgia. Symptoms of stroke? It's fibromyalgia. Unable to use legs and/or arms? It's fibromyalgia. And, yes, unable to eat? It's fibromyalgia. I've been in before because of it. No one gives a shit.

So are you drained of energy?

It's fibromyalgia.

Just kidding. Despite the fibromyalgia, veganism has given me the ability to have more energy. I love it.

Are you losing weight?

Not much. Not like I have in the past when this happens, so I don't think it's similar to that (no one can tell me what it is [it's fibromyalgia!] and from having to do my own research and try to find my own cure, I've determined that one of my ribs [several of my ribs dislocate] will fuck with something and cause me to be unable to keep any food down. This is not the case this time).

Have you done any self tests.

Like increasing you B6 for week and note the effects, then say switch to some other vitamin, or mineral, also with food types, one at a time, and see if you can effect some kind of moderate or greater change. ???

I'm thinking this is probably a stupid question, but what the heck.

I will change the advice from "see a doctor" to "see a competent doctor".

I saw two people with fibro in the pain clinic today. One was in serious distress from an acute multi-symptom episode. My staff (the Canadian term for 'attending') didn't blow it off as "just fibro". Neither should any doctor worth his/her salt. So you must first find someone who looks at the big picture; then you must also be willing to accept the fact that this recent symptom may genuinely be related to/caused by your fibro, if that is the doctor's educated opinion. Just because you have fibro, doesn't mean it's because of fibro...but it also doesn't mean it has nothing to do with it, either.

Important questions the doctor may ask could include "What was involved in this detox you did?" Sometimes some scary shit is in "natural" products. The fact that you did something so unusual immediately prior to the start of your waning appetite immediately red flags it as a possible cause.

I will change the advice from "see a doctor" to "see a competent doctor".
I am limited to the veteran's hospital. The way it works is that if there's a medical school nearby, the students there do their residency (don't know if it's a different term in Canada, but it's basically on-the-job experience) in the Urgent Care clinic. The other doctors who run different departments, like endocrinology or the women's clinic, are actual doctors who have been practicing medicine for some time. Being both female and under 50 and going to a veteran's hospital has some stigma attached to it. In fact, there was a push to give younger veterans better service because they were pushed to the side in lieu of older veterans who were coming to the hospital because they're in diabetic shock...you know, a condition that has nothing to do with being in the military at all, they're just not taking care of themselves properly. They get seen before young veterans like me who are only at the veteran's hospital because of what the military did to our bodies. Go figure.

So, I'm not seen immediately because I'm in my 20's, and I'm not given optimal care because I'm seeing non-doctors in urgent care. Here's a good example of their care: yesterday, I saw my doctor (I see him once a week for treatment) and mentioned a problem I was having on Monday. I had emailed him on Monday about it, asking if he had any cancellations, and he was following up on it. What had happened was I woke up, stood up out of bed, and fell. I couldn't walk straight and stumbled at an angle to where I needed to go, so I had to get my cane to help me. I had work later that day and, figuring I was feeling a little better, decided to lift some weights before work as usual. No big deal, and because nothing was hurting, I wasn't going to exacerbate any pain symptoms (I don't lift when, say, my ribs are out of whack). I became very dizzy and was unable to get up off the floor, or even turn over, for about 15-20 minutes. I ended up pulling myself onto the couch and despite resting, I was still very dizzy. I had to call into work, and was like that the entire day. I couldn't even sit up to use my laptop. Tuesday was better but still somewhat similar, and Wednesday I was fine. Thursday I felt even better, but was still having a vision issue with it. You see, this dizziness thing isn't new...it's happened before...and I have a change in vision associated with it. Either the room spins, I see colored dots, parts of my vision are "missing," or I see a gray-white haze over everything. So my doc asks me if anything's still wrong, I say that the haze is still in my vision and I have trouble seeing things close-up without getting dizzy, but otherwise I'm okay.

He sends me to urgent care.

They send me to optometry.

I had no idea that being dizzy and unable to move properly was the fault of my optical nerves.

Sometimes it is just as important to leave OUT information to get better results out of doctors.

Like telling them you have fibro, or are a vegan, etc.

If you leave things like that out, they may look at possibilities they would not have looked at before.

I recently perused a book written by a high level persona at a medical school. It has a touching introductory of a story of a woman who was suffering severely for years, going from doctor to doctor. She would bring her files with her, the doctor would read her files and nothing much would change. Then one day she found a doctor who didn't want to read her file, wanted to start over and examine fresh.

She was diagnosed with celiac, got off the food that was killing her and recovered over a few months.

Same thing happens in my field, you get used to looking for particular culprits, particularly when you are overburdened. You don't think to consider alternative possibilities.

Sometimes it is just as important to leave OUT information to get better results out of doctors.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don't walk in there saying, "Hi doc, I'm a vegan with fibromyalgia and having a problem today I need help with." I don't mention a damn thing, actually. Problem is, this being the veteran's hospital, my files follow me around whether I want them to or not. I come in to a see doc, they look at my record while asking me what's wrong today, and we go from there. The only time I mention being vegan is when they do blood work and tell me everything's within optimal levels, then I say, "That's nice to know. I'm vegan" or something like that to let them know that, yes, vegans can be healthy!

Anyway, I realized last night that I was put on a new birth control about the time this started happening, so I'm going to ride it out and see if that's the culprit.

This is the book I mentioned that I read part of in the book store and plan to read soon. Extremely valuable to anyone alive. A good alternative title would have been

"Doctors: A Users Manual -- with tips for getting more out of the same professional"

This is probably even more true for someone with a chronic illness

"How Doctors Think"

http://www.amazon.com/How-Doctors-Think-Jerome-Groopman/dp/0618610030

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don't walk in there saying, "Hi doc, I'm a vegan with fibromyalgia and having a problem today I need help with." I don't mention a damn thing, actually. Problem is, this being the veteran's hospital, my files follow me around whether I want them to or not. I come in to a see doc, they look at my record while asking me what's wrong today, and we go from there. The only time I mention being vegan is when they do blood work and tell me everything's within optimal levels, then I say, "That's nice to know. I'm vegan" or something like that to let them know that, yes, vegans can be healthy!

Anyway, I realized last night that I was put on a new birth control about the time this started happening, so I'm going to ride it out and see if that's the culprit.

It's very possible it could be the culprit. I took a new kind of birth control, Yasmin. It was the last time I took birth control pills because I felt suicidal on them, and like you, I had all sorts of stomach pain and I even vomitted. I couldn't eat anything without feeling like puking. The symptoms got better when I stopped taking it.. But my hormones were so messed up for a long time after that I suffered from other things.. Hot flashes, acne, hair loss etc.

I also have IBS so whenever I have stomach problems, I usually assume it's my IBS.

I also wanted to mention that suddenly changing your diet can really mess around with your digestive system. Give your body time to change to a new diet or routine instead of shocking it by going suddenly raw, or fasting, or something like that.

It's very possible it could be the culprit. I took a new kind of birth control, Yasmin. It was the last time I took birth control pills because I felt suicidal on them, and like you, I had all sorts of stomach pain and I even vomitted.

The women's health doctor called me and confirmed that I may have to way 3-12 months for the nausea to go away. However, I noticed a pattern in mood I was having where, like you, I found depression and other issues, mostly being unable to deal with any little thing and flipping out at the drop of a hat. This goes in cycles and I've never had emotional PMS symptoms. I called the VA and had my prescription changed.

I also wanted to mention that suddenly changing your diet can really mess around with your digestive system. Give your body time to change to a new diet or routine instead of shocking it by going suddenly raw, or fasting, or something like that.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

A year later, I still have side effects from coming off birth control, assuming I don't have an underlying health problem causing it all. It's mostly just like.. irregular periods, some hair growth on my face (sexy), and acne (more sexygoodness)

For the first 3 months I had really bad symptoms. It'll get better

A year later, I still have side effects from coming off birth control, assuming I don't have an underlying health problem causing it all. It's mostly just like.. irregular periods, some hair growth on my face (sexy), and acne (more sexygoodness)

That sounds like the symptoms of PCOS.

That sounds like the symptoms of PCOS.

Bloodwork ruled out PCOS. I was thinking more along the lines of endometriosis which causes my abdominal pain (which I get a lot!) urinary symptoms (urgency, sometimes abdominal pain after urinating, feeling like I really gotta go but then I just get a little dribble)

The hormonal stuff could just be from me coming off the pills but I'm not sure.

Bloodwork ruled out PCOS. I was thinking more along the lines of endometriosis which causes my abdominal pain (which I get a lot!) urinary symptoms (urgency, sometimes abdominal pain after urinating, feeling like I really gotta go but then I just get a little dribble)

Have you been checked for endometriosis yet?

Have you been checked for endometriosis yet?

Nope. The diagnostic test for that is laproscopy, which requires surgery. They don't usually do it unless a woman who is trying to get pregnant has failed several times.

There's also blood tests to check for markers.. But whenever I talk to my doctor about this, he suggests taking the birth control pill, sends me for a urine test, or says it's IBS.

They rule out the more harmless, common causes rather than check for a disease that affects maybe.. 10-12% of women.