Aw Hell, I know this has been discussed before but...

...how is it possible to get 150g protein on a 2000kcal vegan diet? I have been trying to cut lately and keeping my protein up is proving to be near impossible! Most days I hit ~100g, and I feel like it's just not enough. I would ideally like to be at least 30p/50c/20f, as this seems to be a good balance for a cut.

Is there anybody here at a similar kcal intake and a high protein intake?

...how is it possible to get 150g protein on a 2000kcal vegan diet? I have been trying to cut lately and keeping my protein up is proving to be near impossible! Most days I hit ~100g, and I feel like it's just not enough. I would ideally like to be at least 30p/50c/20f, as this seems to be a good balance for a cut.

Is there anybody here at a similar kcal intake and a high protein intake?

My meals most of the time are made up a whole grain and a legume ( about 1 cup each, cooked ) with some produce.

I've easily gotten about 90 grams on 1500 calories a day, with either one meal having a soy or gluten protein source replacing the legumes or adding a protein drink to the meal ( once a day )..

I think you could hit 150g with 500 more calories to spend. Have another serving of soy, gluten or another protein drink.

I'm not sure how this can even be a problem if you're not crazy strict about the sticking 100% with whole foods (not a bad thing, just didn't think you were). I did this in 2 minutes (Swedish nutritiondata sort of so it's translated)

60 grams of TVP

150 grams of chickpeas

150 grams of lentils

75 grams of brown rice

75 grams of oats (everyone loves those)

(all those are dry weight)

20 grams of rice protein concentrate

20 grams of almonds

This gives you 1921.5kcal, 140,8 grams of protein. The macro comp is 31P, 55C, 14F. I left out around 9 grams of protein but when you add about a pound of veggies to your diet you're up to just a wee bit over 2000 and you will have 150 grams of protein. Grains and nuts are somewhat equally when it comes to energy% from protein so if you want to go higher in fat just switch some grains for nuts/seeds. Grains are just examples and can of course be switched, most of them are equal in most aspects, rice is a little lower in protein and oats are a bit higher in fat than normal. The TVP I use is a bit special because it's both carb free and fat free and contains 64 grams of protein per 100. I hope this gives you some ideas at least.

Oh and a nice thing about the diet is that if you choose at least 150 grams of either spinach or kale and something more with a bit of vitamin A for your veggies you will reach the RDI for every vitamin and mineral (in Sweden selenium will be a bit low due to the oats but for you americans it should be all good).

So I guess this would mean cutting out pretty much all grains and fruits?

Not at all. In my post I wrote that I got about 90 grams of protein a day eating meals that were mostly legumes and whole grains.

I also ate fruit and vegetables.

With 500 more calories to spend you can pump a lot of protein in your diet. If you are smart some of that will include whole grains, gluten and or a protein drink made from grains so that you get an even better mix of amino acids.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic. Also there is a great search function on this forum http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8869

he asked how to do a 30p/50c/20f on a vegan diet. supplementing with pea protein (25p,4c,1f) is how i achieve that ratio. im not an authority, so i didn't want to recommend it without having researched thoroughly myself... which is why i added the line about not knowing the quality of it as a protein source.

and yes i will search first next time. although so far most of the 24 pages for "pea" are about taste or recipes. i did see two posts by you that it is slow/low absorption.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic. Also there is a great search function on this forum http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8869

he asked how to do a 30p/50c/20f on a vegan diet. supplementing with pea protein (25p,4c,1f) is how i achieve that ratio. im not an authority, so i didn't want to recommend it without having researched thoroughly myself... which is why i added the line about not knowing the quality of it as a protein source.

and yes i will search first next time. although so far most of the 24 pages for "pea" are about taste or recipes. i did see two posts by you that it is slow/low absorption.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8869

If you look there, it shows you the ratio of leucine to isoleucine and valine, the BCAAs, of various powders. And if you look further down, you will see that Gemma pea protein from True Protein ranks above 100 for its amino acid score. Due to its high digestibility, over 90%, it likely would score a 1 for PDCAAS, or damned close, which means it is an "ideal" protein. If you throw in a 30% mixture of rice from True Protein, the score goes even higher, but PDCAAS is normalized to 1. Basically, that mixture of pea and rice is the best vegan protein powder you can get.

• 1 month later...

Textured Vegetable Protein.

When large corporations make soy bean oil they use a tiny bit of a chemical called hexane to separate the oil from the soy bean.

Their "garbage" is basically de-fatted soy bean bits.

They "texturize" it to make a cereal like substance, which when hydrated and cooked can be used as a faux meat. Since it is a byproduct and made out of commercial soy beans it is very cheap.....as well as insanely nutritious.

Critics complain that hexane is a carcinogen, but not nearly enough of it is used to reach the level of being a carcinogen ( extremely minute amounts are used ) and hexane has a low evaporation point so any traces of it that inadvertently are left in TVP evaporate when it is cooked.

You can buy TVP made directly for human consumption that does not use hexane and is made from organic soy beans.