Hello all!

Jordanlee

Hey guys/gals,

My name is Jordan, and I've been lurking on these boards for the last month or so. I've been vegan since I was 15 (20 now), and have always been a skinny dude (both when I was vegan, and not a vegan). While I went vegan for ethical reasons (and still maintain that veganism is a more of a philosophy, or a way of life of acknoweldging the futility of violence and embracing ahimsa), I've more recently become interested in the health/training aspects of it.

My goals:

I've been hitting my University's gym 3-4 times a week, doing back (lat pull down, barbell "pull backs"?, bench row, lower back "sit ups" on the suspension machine? (sorry, I don't know the names for half of this stuff!) (day 1), arms/shoulders (french press tricep iso, triceps pull downs, triceps machine, bicep machine, bicep iso in slant chair, hammer curls, iron crosses (to the side and in front), shoulder pull up with machine?, shoulder press with cables) (day 2), and chest (cable chest press, cable cross overs, cable upwards cross overs?, cable or free weight flys, and 100 pushups... I also try and do 100 pushups every other day) (day 3) for the last month or so. I've definetely seen an improvement in strength, but not really so much in the gaining areas.

I'm, 6'1, and about 142-145 lbs.... I know, skinny. I want to get to 160-170, with a very high percentage of that weight gain being muscle. I realize I need to start working my legs out too, but I'm unsure of where to start (as I already bike to work a few times a week... which is 20km each way).

Suggestions?

Also, I eat a fairly well rounded diet (aiming for the 4000 cal-a-day mark now to bulk up), and supplement with creatine and L-glutamine, as well as a Sun Warrior/Manitoba Harvest hemp protein shake every day. Are there better (and especially CHEAPER) protein supplements I should be using? Sun Warrior is REALLY expensive ($75 a bag) here in Canada. Trueproteins.com looks like a good alternative... any luck with that site for any of you guys? Or NitroFusion off of bb.com looks like a good price.

Thanks guys!

- Jordan

Welcome Jordan

I'm, 6'1, and about 142-145 lbs.... I know, skinny. I want to get to 160-170, with a very high percentage of that weight gain being muscle. I realize I need to start working my legs out too, but I'm unsure of where to start (as I already bike to work a few times a week... which is 20km each way).

Quads:

Squats

Leg Extensions

Hamstrings:

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Lunges

Lying Leg Curls

Standing 1 Leg Curl

Calves:

1 Leg Calf Raises

Also, I eat a fairly well rounded diet (aiming for the 4000 cal-a-day mark now to bulk up), and supplement with creatine and L-glutamine, as well as a Sun Warrior/Manitoba Harvest hemp protein shake every day. Are there better (and especially CHEAPER) protein supplements I should be using? Sun Warrior is REALLY expensive ($75 a bag) here in Canada. Trueproteins.com looks like a good alternative... any luck with that site for any of you guys? Or NitroFusion off of bb.com looks like a good price.

Can't beat trueprotein, search their forums for 5% off and just remember to order in bulk (16lbs or more) for an additional 5% off. Also shipping is pricey but in the end it's still cheaper then buying local.

Just wanted to say welcome!

Thanks!

I saw elsewhere that you're a Ph.D student... in what area? And at what school in Canada? I'm at the University of Alberta in an honors psychology program researching Terror Managment Theory... should finish my BA (Hon) next year, then to grad school. I can imagine how hard it must be balancing grad school, hobbies, friends, spouses, fitness, etc. It's hard enough in undergrad (mind you, mine's harder than normal... I have to do research that culminates in a thesis).

Jordan, you're definitely on the right track. Eat, lift and grow.

Check out beginner programs such as starting strength or stronglifts. Lots of us here have had good results with that one.

Use more freeweights than machines. Eat, and sleep. Listen to your body. You'll be fine. Keep us posted.

Nitrofusion is good. NOW made a vega knockoff. Otherwise custom ratio mixes from trueproteins.com gets a lot of mentions around here.

• 2 weeks later...