What is your skin care routine?

I put this in this section because I am curious about vb&f men's skin care routine too.

I read a mag article that stated "Top 7 things you can do to look like your 40 when you are 60". The top 7 things went something like this:

1. Eat tons of blueberries. They are rich in anti-oxidants and can help fight free radical damage which is a major culprit in aging skin.

2. Wear a sunscreen on our face, neck and hands (basically all exposed areas) 365 days a year each time you go out. Years of exposure to sun, even during winter months, ages skin.

3. Drink lots of water daily.

4. Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your side or your stomach can stretch facial skin, causing it to lose elasticity over time.

5. Exercise your facial muscles.

6. Throw out your chemical laden moisturizers and stick to natural products that are minimally refined and processed. Moistureize your skin with nourishing, vitamin and EFA rich oils like jojoba and avocado oils. Avocado oil is especially light and non-greasy if used sparingly. AT the very least, apply these oils to wrinkle prone areas like around the eye area and mouth, and between the eyebrows. Basically, if you cant eat it, dont put it on your skin!

7. Vitamin C, topically applied, is vey powerful in fighting wrinkles and encouraging your skin to produce more collagen - something that is compromised as your skin ages. Buy a jar of naturally buffered vitamin C powder. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the powder per 1 teaspoon of your cream/product/oil and apply to your face immediately, especially wrinkle prone areas. Note that you cannot pre-mix this for convenience because vitamin C will lose its potentcy. You must mix in the vitamin C just before you apply. This is inconvenient but the benefits will be worth it. The C powder can also be mixed with all your facial scrubs and masks. Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant, and when combined with an oil that is rich in vitamin E, can be a great weapon in your arsenal to fight aging skin.

Too bad there wasnt a greater emphasis on diet here, but some of the above is interesting.

I have starting using avocado oil and I love how it makes by skin feel - silky smooth.

1. Eat tons of blueberries. They are rich in anti-oxidants and can help fight free radical damage which is a major culprit in aging skin.

These are around $6 for 4ozs currently, so I don't buy them

2. Wear a sunscreen on our face, neck and hands (basically all exposed areas) 365 days a year each time you go out. Years of exposure to sun, even during winter months, ages skin.

I do this as well as high quality sunglasses. I used to think this wasn't necessary, but had forgotten my sunglasses on day and borrowed a pair of Coasta Del Mars. It was like night and day from my Ray Bans. I now have a pair of my own...no more squinting even a little.

You caught me! I am bad about this. I don't get enough water throughout the day.

4. Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your side or your stomach can stretch facial skin, causing it to lose elasticity over time.

I have noticed a direct corralation between sleeping on my bcak and nightmares, so I don't do it any longer.

I don't do this, and I rarely smile....it causes wrinkles

6. Throw out your chemical laden moisturizers and stick to natural products that are minimally refined and processed. Moistureize your skin with nourishing, vitamin and EFA rich oils like jojoba and avocado oils. Avocado oil is especially light and non-greasy if used sparingly. AT the very least, apply these oils to wrinkle prone areas like around the eye area and mouth, and between the eyebrows. Basically, if you cant eat it, dont put it on your skin!

7. Vitamin C, topically applied, is vey powerful in fighting wrinkles and encouraging your skin to produce more collagen - something that is compromised as your skin ages. Buy a jar of naturally buffered vitamin C powder. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the powder per 1 teaspoon of your cream/product/oil and apply to your face immediately, especially wrinkle prone areas. Note that you cannot pre-mix this for convenience because vitamin C will lose its potentcy. You must mix in the vitamin C just before you apply. This is inconvenient but the benefits will be worth it. The C powder can also be mixed with all your facial scrubs and masks. Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant, and when combined with an oil that is rich in vitamin E, can be a great weapon in your arsenal to fight aging skin.

I am currently using Arbonne and have been very happy with it.

Too bad there wasnt a greater emphasis on diet here, but some of the above is interesting.

I have starting using avocado oil and I love how it makes by skin feel - silky smooth.

I'll repeat what you already know CG - I do nothing for my skin, other than eat and drink healthily. I don't believe in all this about putting stuff on your face.

I also love a tanned face. Well, if it ages me prematurely I'll take my chances, coz like most people I wear a tan well.

I put this in this section because I am curious about vb&f men's skin care routine too.

I read a mag article that stated "Top 7 things you can do to look like your 40 when you are 60". The top 7 things went something like this:

I'm not a guy, but thought I'd add my 2 cents as skin is skin.

I love blueberries, but I haven't seen them anywhere for the last couple of months.

Guilty. I don't use sunscreen unless sunbathing - something I used to do alot of when I was younger, but haven't done lately. However, I intend to get a tan this summer.

I should drink more water, but I hate that it makes me alot.

I usually sleep on my back, but sometimes turn on my side (mostly my left side - does that mean only one side of my face will by hanging down and the other side will be firm ? )

I believe this is true as I've read the muscles in your face are attached to your skin.

Jojoba oil is not kind to my skin. I usually use a CoQ 10 moisturizer and while it makes my skin soft, I haven't noticed it reducing any lines (ok wrinkles ), but they aren't that deeply embedded so maybe it has helped reduce the depth of the line ?

I did try a lotion with Vitamin C and cloudberries in it and it smelled great, but it didn't work that great. Maybe I'll give this Vitamin C recipe a try.

There's also a hair conditioner you can make with avocado:

Hair Conditioner One Recipe

(www.creativehomemaking.com)

Combine mashed avocado with some coconut milk. Comb it through the hair and let sit for 10 -15 minutes, rinse out.

and a facial just using mashed avocado:

Avocado Facial Recipe

Avocado is a naturally rich moisturizer. Mash the meat of the avocado into a creamy texture. Massage into the face and neck . Leave on for 15 minutes and gently rinse off.

I haven't seen just avocado oil, where do you get yours from CG ?

Also, smoking is bad for your skin as the smoke dries your skin and contributes to facial wrinkles.

Hey Crash

I am glad you put in your two cents I am interested in both the men's and women's skin care regime (that is why I put this in the "unisex" health category ).

Re the "wear sunscreen all year round" point. The article I think was trying to emphasize that people wrongly assume that UV dmage to skin happens during the summer, sunny days. It does, but sun damage also accumulates from winter exposure too. I too am a sun worshipper, but this advice made me think of something. We dont tan during the winter months outside in the cold, and so our skin is being exposed to damaging UV rays for nothing during the winter! So this is what I figure: let's wear sunscreen during the winter months any time we go out, and indeed any time during the summer when we are not tanning (ex. stepping out to the grocery store, etc). That way, we can at least "save" some damage. So when we tan during the summer, we can feel a little less concerned because we have "saved" some damage by wearing sunscreen for a good portion of the rest of the year. THis isnt very clear but do you know what I mean? I step out in the winter and my skin is getting exposed, but for nothing - i.e. i am not gaining a tan from it so why should I "waste" my UV time on that? Anyway, I am not explaining this well but I am going to do it - makes sense to me. Only thing though is that I read somewhere else that the parabens and chemicals in sunscreen's can also cause free radical damage and even cancer! SO I am trying to find the best, most natural sunscreeen in the world that has no parabens and lots of vitamins. Havent been successful so far. Anybody know of a good sunscreen that is NOT laden with chemicals, including parabens?

Re sleeping on the back. Unfortunately, I too have found a corrletaion between sleeping on my back aand nightmares, like seasiren. That and I always end up on my stomach no matter how I try to resist that urge to stay on my back, or even my side. So I am stretching my whole facial skin BIG TIME throughout the night.

Re avocado mask and conditioner. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!

I get my avocado oil at any health food store that sells essential oils and base oils. You should have no problem. Try it! I use avocado because it is one of the oils that is rich in EFAs and Vitamin C, A, and E, BUT DOES NOT CLOG PORES. The last thing I want is a break out, since I had acne when I was a young teen. Also, I am curious as to what you mean by the jojoba not agreeing with your skin? What exactly was the reaction of your skin to jojoba? I am curious as they say that jojoba oil is the closest when it comes to your skin's own natural oils, sebum, waxes, etc. so it is supposed to be one of the best skin conditioners ever.

yes, the smoking point - very bad for your skin too (not to mention your lungs obviously).

And also what seasirn said about laughing causing laugh lines

Also, I forgot to add that I have also started doing the topical vitamin C powder. I mix a little differently though. I mix 1/4 teaspoon of powder with two teaspoons of avocado oil, and then I first dab it around the eye area, then forehead, laugh lines, and then the rest of my face and then my neck and decollete area. Dont forget the neck adn decollete. Also, remember to rub the creams/mixture on your neck in an upwards direction, fighting that nasty gravity .

I have only done this for about a week. The article says that you need to be patient. You will notice the benefits to your skin in a few months. So we'll see. I have absolutely no patience. I am the kind of person that will apply something to their face and then wake up the next morning and expect a whole new skin to have replaced the "older" skin cells. so ya, i am bad when it comes to patience in seeing results.

I was at the health food store where they have a natural sin care area. The girl introduced me to a product line called Viva - environmentally friendly and cruely free. She said it was the best, top of the line quality. The company describes its line of skin care as "revolutionary line of all-natural, ultra safe skin care products. unlike anything you have ever seen before."

One product in particular caught my attention because of the ingredients and the order in which they are listed. It is called Viva Concentrated Amaze Anti-Aging Serum, formulated to be extremely potent and highy effective.

Ingredients: DMAE, C-Ester, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid [this ingredient is supposed to be a miracle ingredient, holding more than 1000 times it weight in water, so it attracts lots of moisture to your skin apparently], vitamins A, E and D, geranium, Co-Q10; in a base of Whole Lemon Extract, Aromatherapy, MSM, and rosehip oil.

The claims are:

*Advanced repair of cellular damage

*Replenishes and maintains needed moisture

*Improvment in skin tone and clarity

*Lifts and tightens skin providing a firmer, more radiant glow

* Reduces lines, wrinkles, and furrows in a remarkably short time.

What impresses me is that they say they disclose all ingredients, and the ingredients are very powerful in this serum. But it is expensive though - like $40 canadian for a small small jar. One day if I could afford it I would try it though.

But, also, I think if we stick to the basics, like a good nourishing oil, and maybe mix in some extra vitamin C as in the recipe above, and use sunscreen we when we are out but not tanning, that will significantly slow down the aging of our skin?

I think it is important for us not to wait until we are 60 to start taking care of our skin. It is all about prevention of further wrinkles and lines, which is what I think the article tries to get at. No point in waiting till we are 65 and then getting an anti-wrinkle cream (like my mom did. She regrets not starting much younger).

Edited by compassionategirl

The VIVA does sound nice, but I've been using a Glycolic Acid Facial Toner from Reviva Labsand it has made a difference. It's supposed to be good for mature and sun damaged skin and it's around $10.00 for 4 oz. (depending on where you shop).

Here are the ingredients:

Demineralized spring water, Aloe vera gel, Glycolic acid, Polysorbate 20, Hyaluronic acid, Hydrolized mucopolysaccharides, Allantoin, Beta carotene, Methyl & Propyl paraben, Ammonium hydroxide, Diazolidynyl urea.

No Animal Ingredients.

No Animal Testing.

subsequent application of Glycolic Cream.

* Our Glycolic is in an all natural base, no mineral oil or any other petroleum derivatives.

* Helps refine large pores, clear blackheads and blemishes while making skin feel softer and smoother.

* High level of safety. Allergy is very rare.

Reviva Labs also has a Alpha Lipoic Acid Vitamic C Ester & DMAE Cream for around $23.00, but you can get it for $13.00 here.

It's ingredients are:

Demineralized spring water, glyceryl stearate, soybean oil, stearyl stearate, vegetable oil, cetyl alcohol, soy phospholipid liposome gel, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE bitartrate, ascorbyl palmitate (vit C ester), whole wheat protein, tocopheryl acetate (vit E), retinyl palmitate (vit A), ergocalciferol (vit D), aloe vera gel, allanotin, citric acid, polysorbate 20, simethicone, xanthan gum, methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea.

Free Of

No animal ingredients and no animal testing.

Directions

Use at night. Apply lightly (massage in with upward movements) all over face & throat.

I use the King of Shaves ASC2 range: face wash/face scrub/shaving gel/mosturiser. I try to avoid smoky environments as much as possible. I drink as much water as possible and eat lots of fruit. I try to get deep sleep by following the excellent advice in Topher's thread on sleep.

Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me! If you cover all exposed areas, every single time you go outside, 365 days a week, you're getting ZERO vitamin D because sunscreen blocks the absorption of the rays needed to make vitamin D (UVB). So, as a vegan who consumes no dietary vitamin D, where would you get it if you followed that advice? Even for non-vegans it is bad advice. The sun is the primary source for vitamin D consumption and is needed.

Most of the damage is from burns and tanning too quickly. Building up slowly and maintaining a tan is far less damaging. However I'm bad at that cause I'm such an indoor person. Too addicted to the glow of my computer screen to get the glow of the sun.

If you are really concerned about wrinkles, only wear it on your face but get direct exposure on your arms etc. I would rather risk a little skin damage that can be reversed, then a chronic vitamin D deficiency. Also I think that diet is a better source for natural sun protection against free radicals and all. Lots of anti-oxidants and even topical anti-oxidants to correct the damage without blocking the healing UV rays. I also think the best sunscreen protector is this one:

http://www.zenbiotic.com/BODY%20&%20GROOMING.htm

Dr. H also has a natural one and if you wear mineral makeup it has it too.

Hyaluronic Acid is not always from vegetarian sources, so I would check any product that lists it with the manufacture to make sure. You can just buy Hyaluronic Acid supplements and dissolve them in water like the vitamin C. Most of them mention if they are vegetarian formulas, Now brand is. Also, with the vitamin C, I'm going to start that but it's better to first dissolve it in a bit of water before adding anything else to it, since it is water soluble. Best to make a serum out of it. Just water, glycerin.

I've had really bad skin habits. Not washing enough, always touching my face, resting my hand on it. I don't know why I like to touch it so much but I've got to stop. Facial exercises sound interesting, but boring. I hardly have the patients for a reg. skin care routine.

Avocado oil is nice, but I don't know how people use it. It tints the skin GREEN and smells like a salad. LOL! I prefer things like jojoba, rose hip seed oil (very anti-aging), olive squaline, aloe vera and shea butter. I use rose hip around my eyes and shea butter on my lips.

I've tried sleeping on my back but I can't. If I do manage to fall asleep that way I also wake up and am on my side. My body just feels most natural and comfortable that way. I'd like to get a natural buckwheat pillow though.

Blueberries are exp. so I only eat frozen blueberries which are much less, but they do stain the teeth a lot. There are lots of anti-oxidants though. All berries, grape seed extract, pomegranate juice, acai, cocoa, olive leaf etc.

Also, often overlooked is stress which ages the skin and body more then anything probably. Reducing stress goes a long way in anti-aging.

Wow Nik, that was great input! YOu sound like you have been researching this stuff for a while.

So what do you think about the VIVA anti-aging serum I described above then? Every single ingredient in it seems to be beneficial, and it is preserved in a base of rosehip oil and whole lemon extract - so even its preservatives of choice have potent anti-aging properties. And what I like about it is that it is no animal testing and vegan, so no worries on the source of its hyaluronic acid.

Yes, obviously many of these things can be taken internally, and being vegan, we are all taking care of our bodies from the inside, but it is also nice to apply these things topically directly onto the skin, like that vitamin C recipe. By the way, with respect to mixing it with water and making a serum out of it that way, this is what the lady advised exactly:

"Scientific research has shown that vitamin C stimulates and actually speeds up the regeneration of collagen-producing fibroblasts that make up the capillaries and membranes of the skin tissue. Knowing this, I always felt that vitamin C would be incredibly beneficial if applied directly to the skin. The problem here has been that unlike vitamins E and A, which are oil-soluble and are thus able to hold their potency in skin care products, vitamin C is water-soluble and loses its potency through evaporation. For my own personal use and the use of my students and clients, I devised my own solution, which is to buy a jar of natural buffered vitamin C powder and mix it into my scrubs, masks, creams and cleansing products. The important thing to remember is that you have to take a portion of the skin care product from the jar, pour it into a dish, add approximately one-eigth teaspoon of vitamin C powder per one teaspooon of product, and mix and apply the product immediately. YOu cant save it until the next day or the potency will go bye-bye. This extra effort is a small price to pay for the results you will experience. I have seen a definite new firmness and strength in my own skin tissue, as well as in the skin of clients of mine who have done this. ..I have even had tiny broken capillaries right under the surface of the skin disappear with this treatment."

So I dont understand why you think we should mix the vitamin C with water first? I guess i would do that, then apply this water/vitamin mixture on my face, and THEN appky my avocaco oil on top of that??? Now I am thinking of buying some rosehip extract and adding that to my "potion" after what you said about it

Also, what is this "olive squalene" that you mention? Is that just regular olive oil?

I too cant sleep on my back, even though I want to so badly because I HATE knowing that I am constantly stretching my facial skin straight through the night. I start on my back, and within minutes I simply cant resist the urge to turn to my side, and then a few minutes after that the urge to turn onto my stomach. I always say "I will start sleeping on my back tomorrow night. Tonight is my last night on my stomach."

Facial exercises - i agree. that sounds meritorious, like Crash suggested, but I cant see myself aving the discpipline or pateince for it. Which is too bad for me, because I really am not too keen on my laugh lines, which you can see in my avatar.

Regarding the avocado oil, my skin hasnt turned green yet but I disagree with you on the smell. The kind I use has NO scent to it, which is why I like it. I can have all the nourishing benefits of it, without a salad or even a grease smell, and it wont clog my pores and potentially cause a break out (although I think jojoboa is non-comedogenic too). I had purchased wheat germ oil before that and oh my god the smell of it was horrible! Jojoba is more expensive than avocado so for now, it will have to be avocado. WHen I cna afford it, I will buy both oils and mix them which I think would make the ultimate skin nourisher and moisturizer, especially with a lil vitamin C powder mixed in.

Edited by compassionategirl

NIK:

Have you tried any of those products on that link you posted? Can you offer some testimonials? Thanks.

Also, what is there animal testing animal ingredients policy? DIdnt see it.

They mention that oil based moisturizing isnt that great, that oil doesnt actually moisturize, only water can.

So then avocado oil or even jojoba oils are not effective in skin care? I am confused now.

That's great it's all vegan. Is there a website for that company? I haven't seen it in the US. The ingredients look good. So often most companies besides for the beneficial ingredients include a ton on non-beneficial ingredients and preservatives. There are a lot of natural companies now though.

There is also this one: http://www.devita.net/products/ProductView.mgi2?mgiToken=AGHU785CR2498D7&ID=DHA

Vegan HA serum. They have a lot of other products that say they are vegan with no bad preservatives.

There's also this organic company http://www.theorganicpharmacy.com/product2.php?product_group_ID=1

But it's really expensive. Too much to me after shipping and currency exchange.

The zenbiotic line is not tested on animals. And the only non-vegan ingredients they have are a few products that have some bee ingredients like bee pollen, but those are listed on those products.

On this page is says that it's never animal tested. http://www.zenbiotic.com/skinindex.htm

As far as their products I tried I just had gotten some starter products so they didn't last that long. Like the cleanser, skin prep and moisturizer etc. I tried the synergy serum which had an orangish tint to it which gave my skin a nice glow, like a cosmetic bronzer. I also tried the MSM/Vitamin C but I didn't keep it in the fridge and it went bad pretty quickly. That's why I want to start making my own. I didn't use any of the stuff long enough to see any real results or anything cause I didn't reorder. I'm very impatient as well and I hate spending so much money on so many exp. products for like 6mo-1yr to see if they even will do anything. The only thing that lasted which I still use is the sun protector. I really like it because it instantly calms and cools my skin. So I use it even on days when I don't go anywhere and don't go outside, just as a moisturizer. Right now I'm just using rose hip oil and that. I don't really have a good cleanser at the moment. Just use castile soap and castor oil with some olive oil, since oil dissolves oil. It needs some good steaming and a washcloth though to get it off.

As far as the vitamin C, that's what I heard to do as far as the L-Ascorbic acid because the water makes it soluble so it can penetrate into the skin better. It dissolves it. Or else I would think that it wouldn't fully dissolve into a liquid form and remain like a powder in the oil? I haven't tried it yet so I don't know. I'll try both methods and see how it goes.

As far as internally, a lot of these products I would not take internally. Some of them can have a lot of side effects internally. Not all of them, they would have to be looked into individually, but I still don't think it's a great idea. HA also has negative studies of side effects etc. I think whole foods and concentrates are best internally. I know that some of it does absorb through the skin into the circulation systematically, but the amounts are very small compared to internal supplementation levels. Esp. since you only use a few drops of the serums on the skin. I'm not sure of what the long term results or effects are though for the skin health of these ingredients over time. I know that AHA's brake down the protective layer and cause easier damage from the sun. That's why I look at them for myself as short term correctives and not long term use to prevent overuse of them.

Maybe it is the avocado oil I bought then. I don't know. But I don't like the smell or the taste and I love avocados. I tried using it straight as a body oil and did notice the greenish tint. I don't really notice after a while cause it blends in, but while I'm putting it on I notice it. I also had heard about how great macadamia nut oil is for the skin so I put that on my skin, but the smell of that is very powerful. It is a good smell but still it made me hungry and think of food all time and my neighbors cat would start licking my arm to eat it off.

If you are looking to correct any scars or bruising look into Helichrysum Essential Oil to add to the rose hip seed oil.

Here's a recipe for a vitamin C serum. It's supposed to last for a week in the fridge.

Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals

• 5 ml distilled water

• 5 ml of glycerin

• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

hey Nik,

I tried to find them onlone too, but I couldnt. But there number (or the number of the distributor) is 1-888-841-3234.

I too am leaning more these days towards mixing my own creams and serums, but where would we be able to get stuff like DHEA, or Hyd...Acid, etc.?

Also, I am still stuggling with how could I combine my viatmin C and water serum with my avocado oil, since oil and water dont mix - wouldnt i need some kind of binding agent?

Yes, I have noticed that there is powder still on my face when I just mix it right in with the oil with no water, but see my dilemma just above? Also, even if the powder actually doesnt get absorbed, doesnt your skin suck the beneficial properties of the powder into the skin layers nevertheless?

QUICK TIP FOR ALL: When peeling and cutting citrus fruits, dont wash your hands of the sticky fruit juices - put it on your face!

I don't really see why you would need or want to mix it with the oil? Just layer it as two steps. Put the serum on your face - just a few drops until it absorbs into the skin, about a minute. Then apply a layer of your oil as a moisterizer. Most serums are designed to be applied and absorbed by themselves after cleansing and toning, and prior to your moisterizer.

I think you mean DMAE. DHEA is a hormone. You can buy DMAE supplements at the health food store. It's promoted as a smart nutrient for brain health and a skin firming agent.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dmae.html

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/DMAE.htm

Here are some studies on Rose Hip Oil.

"The first major study on rosehip seed oil was performed in 1983 by a team of researchers at the University of Santiago, Chile. The study's participants included individuals with diverse forms of skin damage: deep wrinkles and other premature aging, UV damage, radiation damage, acne scarring, burn scarring, dermatitis, and other problems of this type. Rosehip seed oil was shown to have significant, noticeable effects in regenerating the skin, reducing wrinkles and scars, and helping the skin to regain its natural color and tone.

Another later study was conducted on women ages 25-35 with extensive premature aging of their skin. Again, rosehip seed oil significantly reduced the appearance of wrinkles and sun spots after daily application for four months. Research has continued on the oil, with one study noting: "On some skin troubles like superficial wrinkles, chestnut spots and ephelides, good results have been obtained. After 16 weeks of treatment, wrinkles and spots become imperceptible." The oil has been used to successfully treat a long list of skin related conditions, including: age spots, wrinkles and premature aging, sun damage, scars from acne, burns, and surgery, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, hyper-pigmentation, brittle nails, and even dry and damaged hair."

I dont have a routine but there are things I remember my sisters, cousins and females in the family doing in terms of natural products.

1. Multani Mitti (its a kind of mud pack with a kind of soft mud.. naturally obtained from some places)

2. Cucumber, and some kind of yogurt, turmeric etc .. for face packs. Cant remember.

The girl introduced me to a product line called Viva - environmentally friendly and cruely free. She said it was the best, top of the line quality. The company describes its line of skin care as "revolutionary line of all-natural, ultra safe skin care products. unlike anything you have ever seen before."

Do they have a web site? Or an online store where the products can be purchased?

And about rubbing lemon or citrus on your face, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. It's quite acidic (sucking on lemons can wear down the enamel of the teeth). Vitamin C powders are usually buffered somehow to reduce acidity.

• 4 months later...

Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me! If you cover all exposed areas, every single time you go outside, 365 days a week, you're getting ZERO vitamin D because sunscreen blocks the absorption of the rays needed to make vitamin D (UVB). So, as a vegan who consumes no dietary vitamin D, where would you get it if you followed that advice? Even for non-vegans it is bad advice. The sun is the primary source for vitamin D consumption and is needed.

Nope. You can get your D from a vegan supplement. There is no need to damage your skin, which is the largest organ in the body, in order to maintain adequate D status. The action spectrum for D synthesis is almost identical to the action spectrum for skin DNA damage.

Most of the damage is from burns and tanning too quickly. Building up slowly and maintaining a tan is far less damaging. However I'm bad at that cause I'm such an indoor person. Too addicted to the glow of my computer screen to get the glow of the sun.

Nope. Just five minutes every other day, amounts well below what is necessary for either burning or tanning, have been shown to elevate the matrix metalloproteinases that break down skin collagen. There is no need to tan or burn ever to be significantly damaged.

If you are really concerned about wrinkles, only wear it on your face but get direct exposure on your arms etc. I would rather risk a little skin damage that can be reversed, then a chronic vitamin D deficiency.

Nope. Lasers and peels can erase some damage, but once the skin is damaged, it cannot be returned to a pristine condition. Prevention is infinitely better than the "cure."

Also I think that diet is a better source for natural sun protection against free radicals and all. Lots of anti-oxidants and even topical anti-oxidants to correct the damage without blocking the healing UV rays.

Nope. No dietary intervention has ever been shown to provide more than SPF 4. At the same time, protection factors of 6 or more in UVA have not been shown to prevent all signs of skin damage and SPF of 15 or more is recommended to prevent skin cancers.

If you wish to prevent photodamage, skin sags, and wrinkles (about 90% of which are from the sun, not from aging) you must protect your skin at all times with a sunscreen that is photostable. More recent recs include SPF of at least 30 and UVA protection factor (PPD or PFA) of at least 10. Because most people fail to apply enough or reapply every two hours, they usually get 1/3 of the protection stated on the label, so it is good to double or triple these protection factors in practice and also to wear hats/visors and wrap sunglasses.

These photostable high UVA protection sunscreens are generally only available from overseas sources. Look for mexoryl sx, mexoryl xl, tinosorb s, and tinosorb M in the ingredients lists. Good brands include Bioderma Photoderm and La Roche Posay Anthelios. These also list UVA protection factors. FDA currently has no requirement for UVA protection or photostability.

And take your D2 from a pill. It will not cost more than $10 per year.

• 1 month later...

From what I've learned, attempting to stay out of the sun is a good thing because the sun's ultraviolet rays depelete moisture in the skin and the fact that they can burn the top layer of epidermis. The vitamin D aspect is why I'd think it would be okay to not wear it each and every day..the sun is natural, but like everything..moderation is key.

sunscreen where the active ingredient is simply titanium dioxide ("white paint") is both vegan and inert ... no weird chemicals to be absorbed through the skin.

I think you do have to be diligent about re-applying if you're swimming or sweating, but it seems to me like it might be the safest choice.

The post about "this is going to be my last night sleeping on my side/stomach" made me sad ... better to reap the anti-stress rewards of sound/satisfying sleep, than be uncomfortable!

I try to get all the antioxidants I can in my diet affordably. Other than that and moisturizing, I don't do all that much. I should start wearing sunscreen more often, but I just hate to put that stuff on all the time. As for exercises, does making funny faces when I am performing an especially hard lift count?