Who Takes Naps?

robert

Hey, we all have very busy lives, sometimes we can fit in naps sometimes we can't.

I know some people who use naps as an important part of their training or bodybuilding program.

Who takes naps?

I LOVE to take them, but don't always "allow" time. We all have something like 1444 minutes in a day (Don't have a calculator in front of me but a number I seemed to memorize maybe it's 1440) to decide what to do. Sometimes I spend time online rather than napping but I really enjoy sleeping during the day!

Let me know if you use naps as part of training recovery or as a method of helping you get through the "rest of the day."

We all have something like 1444 minutes in a day (Don't have a calculator in front of me but a number I seemed to memorize maybe it's 1440) to decide what to do.

You're on a computer, you have a really big calulator right of front of you.

I love naps, but no longer have the time for them.

I LLLLLOVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to sleep.

I am a late riser whenever I can be, and am not at all a morning person.

I love sleeping in, sleeping when its raining, sleeping through a winter storm, sleeping, sleeping, sleeping!!!

I wish a could take naps but it takes me too long to actually drift off. I am a tosser and a turner.

I have noticed that as I have gotten older, I can no longer sleep straight through for longer than 5 hours. So my sleep is fragmented which sucks. When I was a teenager, I could sleep straight through without ever waking up for 10 hours straight.

Man, those were the days.

I don't like working 40 hours a week. I know most of us do work that schedule, but I prefer more time to do what I want to do. Not that I don't enjoy my job, I've had some amazing jobs in the past, I just don't like having to report to anyone else or be places at certain times.

20-30 hours a week would fit my schedule a bit better, but I'll continue working 40 a week for at least another 6 months to continue to have constant income coming in.

For those who think I'm lazy, I assure you I'm not. I used to work 70 hours a week and also worked 7 days a week for 10 months and worked 7 days a week anther time for 3-4 months. I also have had a number of jobs working 50-70 hours a week. I just prefer to spend my time writing (working on 5 books right now, 3 are pretty much complete). Training, sleeping and other things take up a lot of time.

I've always said that if I could make a living from writing, that is what I'd do. I write children's books, motivation stories and a variety of other things.

If I ever get off the internet, I'll get some books published soon.

I'm also getting into writing rap lyrics and songs. Good times.

So anyway, I sleep when I can, but not nearly enough as I'd like. I'm working on it, and I know some of you write and remind me to "get to sleep" when I'm online late at night.

Thanks for the reminder

• 6 months later...

I used to sleep all the time and for a while I got to where I enjoyed it. But that was when my diet sucked and I had chronic fatigue. Now-a-days, having been veggie for 4 years and vegan for 1, I don't need to nap during the day as long as I get a good 6 or 7 hours of sleep and I have the energy to do whatever I need to. When I start lifting again, that might change but generally speaking, I don't feel the need for naps unless I shortchange myself on the overnight sleep.

I agree with you Robbie, about working fewer hours. It's not natural to work 40 plus hours a week in the pursuit of income. We need to work on ourselves at least as much as we work on someone else's pocket book every week. I'd love to be self employed again. I just moved though so I lost my clientel. Hopefully I can get something going again to where I can cut back my hours or maybe quit alltogether at my current job and start having more fun again.

I LLLLLOVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to sleep.

I am a late riser whenever I can be, and am not at all a morning person.

I love sleeping in, sleeping when its raining, sleeping through a winter storm, sleeping, sleeping, sleeping!!!

I wish a could take naps but it takes me too long to actually drift off. I am a tosser and a turner.

I have noticed that as I have gotten older, I can no longer sleep straight through for longer than 5 hours. So my sleep is fragmented which sucks. When I was a teenager, I could sleep straight through without ever waking up for 10 hours straight.

Man, those were the days.

Ditto!! And I too have increased difficulty sleeping through an entire 8-10 hours. Grrrr.... It does nothing for my naturally rosy disposition!

When I was a kid, I loved to sleep in on Sat & Sun. My mother, who is a morning person, hated that I would do that. She would come in around 7:30 or 8:00 & open the shades & yell "Rise & shine! You're sleeping your life away!" I hated that!!

So one Saturday night, I was up late reading, I went into her bedroom, turned on the light & said "You're sleeping your life away!" Ohhhhhh, she was soooooooooo pissed at me! But you know what? She stopped waking me up on weekend mornings.

For me a nap is not a nap if it is less than 2 hours long!

So one Saturday night, I was up late reading, I went into her bedroom, turned on the light & said "You're sleeping your life away!" Ohhhhhh, she was soooooooooo pissed at me! But you know what? She stopped waking me up on weekend mornings.

That is hilarious. What a wonderful child you must have been....

When I was a kid, I loved to sleep in on Sat & Sun. My mother, who is a morning person, hated that I would do that. She would come in around 7:30 or 8:00 & open the shades & yell "Rise & shine! You're sleeping your life away!" I hated that!!

My mother used to come in, "Get up!, get up! we gotta go, hurry up! hurry! you'll be late!" AAAHHHH! I hated it! She's been this way her entire life. Why does everything have to be such a rush!

I try not to take naps, It messes up my sleep pattern (what there is of it, )

Today, I woke up at 9:30, stayed up for about 10 minutes, realized I have no appointments at work today, and then went back to sleep until 12:30pm. Do those last three hours count as a nap? Twelve hours of sleep, woohoo!

Normally, I don't take naps unless I've stayed up too late the night before, I don't feel good, or I've have had an especially strenuous day.

Anyone ever fell asleep on the toilet? I haven't. But I think some of you have.

I think I have. I tend to burn the candle at both ends. Is that the term? I take on too many projects than I can handle and burn myself out...something I'm trying to correct about myself.

2 days ago I feel asleep in a chair in a noisy car dealership while I waited for them to finish checking my oil (no pun intended). They had to wake me when the car was ready.

I'm sure I've fallen asleep on the toilet but I can't recall s specific time when I was out for a long time, I've just dosed off for a minute or two.

Lately I've been taking a nap after work from 5-7Pm and then going to the gym around 8PM. I enjoy napping more than sleeping. I just love being asleep when I should probably be awake.

I certainly don't sleep enough so next time I'm on the toilet, I'll consider catchin some ZZZZs.

-Robatron 5900

You guys who are falling asleep on the toilet need to get some more fiber in your diet, perhaps! I'm not on the can long enough to fall asleep.

Though I recall falling asleep (just for a second) while driving!

I was coming back from a conference 3 or 4 hours away, driving, tired, eyes getting very heavy, and suddenly thought that it would be an okay idea to close my eyes for "just a second" (shows how tired I was that I thought that was a good idea!! ). I jolted awake almost immediately (still on the road, no accident) but decided that a better idea would be to pull over to a rest stop and take a nap, then open the windows while driving the rest of the way back.

Thinking about sex is a good way to stay awake when driving.

I never nap. I wish I could as I think it would be good for me but I just can't do it. I saw during the veganfitness week that Topher napped like crazy and that wasn't surprising at all as it always seems that people with good strength to weight ratios nap a lot.

Thinking about sex is a good way to stay awake when driving.

I never nap. I wish I could as I think it would be good for me but I just can't do it. I saw during the veganfitness week that Topher napped like crazy and that wasn't surprising at all as it always seems that people with good strength to weight ratios nap a lot.

I'll keep that in mind Jay. I drive long distances sometimes so that will be helpful. I think I'll be driving to LA for the Vegan Vacation (so I'll have a car there to drive people around in and save money on flights and rental cars).

I know what you mean about Topher. He lived with me for nearly 3 months, and can sleep like no other. He has mastered sleeping. I wish I could do that. I really need to start doing it as I prepare for more contests.

I am very active, full of energy and accomplish a lot each day, but I have no problem taking a nap if I can afford to. I've been averaging about 5-6 hours of sleep per night for the past 13 months. Many nights it is only 4 hours, and others such as my weekends, 8-10 hours.

Happy napping! That is what I'll probably do during the Super Bowl today.

-Roberto

Jonathan,

I know man. Topher and others have tried to beat that into my head. I try to beat it into my head too.

I really take on a lot of tasks, projects, activities, and sometimes sleep gets missed But I also do mess around on the computer too much too, so I know where I can start to cut some things out and I have recently. I've also been taking a 2-hour nap a few days a week.

I'm not really seeing the results I'd like even though I'm back in the gym and eating fairly well.....I know it is lack of sleep. I will keep working to fix it.

I get those "go to bed!" e-mails from Daywalker and others looking for me.

• 1 year later...

As I'm getting back into bodybuilding again I'm going to start incorporating these more.

Many bodybuilders consider it part of training, just like going to the gym or doing cardio. Naps are just part of rest and recovery to many athletes.

I nap whenever I get a day off. When I was racing bikes and then had to work the late-night shift, I'd train from 9am-3pm, shower, take 1 hour nap, then off to work. It was like that for 3 years, 6 or 7 days a week. It was awesome.

Robert, are you able to train (and take naps) more now that your profession has changed?