Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's

Yesterday I trained Back, Triceps and Biceps with janthraxx and then we went to Proper Eats (but I didn't get anything since I'm on a budget). I just got groceries that I ate later on and will prepare in the future.

Then I had some Vega, New Greens, and a bunch of yams.

I'm being a little more consistent these days and I know it will only get better when LizWorld gets back to Portland.

I'll be training tomorrow with janthraxx and maybe later today too. Right now it's time to get some sun and get outside for a bit. I've been in front of the computer all day today.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I need to get out in the sun! I got a bit of a burn on my back and legs yesterday, but it keeps my hair blond, and makes muscles show up more so I better get out there again soon! Not for too long of course.

I trained legs yesterday and it was great. I was doing slow, deep reps and really felt my glutes training very hard. Today I'm quite sore in my glutes and it rocks.

I also noticed lots of veins in my legs when I was doing lunges, so that was really cool. I'm starting to like them quite a bit and will continue to do them on a regular basis. This was my 4th leg workout in 4 weeks so I haven't missed one in a month. So that's cool.

Today I ate at Blossoming Lotus and bumped into a vegan friend from my massage school days 8 years ago. We became buddies back then and it was awesome to see her. It was only the 2nd time I'd seen her in 8 years. She's in Portland part of the year and Park City, UT part of the year.

Back to computer work....and maybe some training later on.

I do. And to be honest, I like building up my butt! It is such a strong muscle group and so fun to do deep burning reps that are quite painful. Sitting is fun right now

We'll shake and bake in 10 days. Time for me to make some REAL progress!!!!

I trained abs for 45 minutes tonight after a meeting. It was good. I have to take a break from shoulders and chest due to a left shoulder injury but I'm still training legs, glutes, arms, and abs.

Today I did hanging leg raises, cable crunches, an ab crunch machine, and some bodyweight stuff.

Now I'm just eating a bit and I'm off to bed soon. Chef Ani Phyo www.aniphyo.com who used to live with me is back in town this weekend so she'll stay with us again for a couple of days and it will be awesome!

Isn't 45 minutes a little much on just abs? Seems like overkill

Of course I very rarely train abs directly so 5 minutes would seem like a lot to me!

Also when are you going to start posting some numbers?!? I want to see what kind of serious iron you've been pushing.

I'll try to post numbers sometime. Thanks for asking. I have an injured shoulder right now and I have my regular lower back injuries and issues so nothing is too impressive.

I'm still in pretty good shape and in certain exercises I can lift some good weight.

I hope to gain a lot of muscle over the next two years. I'll need to be pretty focused, determined and disciplined to do that.

Here are a few recent pics.....my "before" photos and hopefully in 2 years I'll have a lot more mass and it will be fun to compare Before and After photos:

http://a93.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_6ab21c055ac604f23137c971fc21e9a4.jpg

http://a867.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_7fa606ee9bbe5c53a2a1acb63ac6fc42.jpg

I had a great arm workout today! I was totally swolled up! I'm down to just being able to train arms, abs, legs and sometimes back (due to my recent shoulder injury). So that is what I'm doing.

Today I did a ton of bicep curls using mostly the EZ curl bar and dumbbells. I only used one machine for biceps and that was the preacher curl machine (Hammer Strength) I think. So anyway, I did tons of curls doing slow reps, negatives, and burn-out sets.

I also trained triceps. I didn't do any dips because of my shoulder, but I did some dumbbell kick-backs and rope pull-downs. I didn't want to try anything else like skull crushers or anything that could bother my shoulder. So I kept it simple and did lots of sets for those two exercises.

It was probably 70% biceps and 30% triceps today because biceps were so much easier on my shoulder.

Tomorrow I think I'll tackle my legs so I better go to sleep. Jessifly and xdarthveganx will join me for training tomorrow morning.

Time to put the yams away and head to bed!

I trained legs and glutes today and it was great. I really focused on glutes again so I expect that will be the part that is the most sore over the next few days.

I did 6 sets of standard leg press and 4 sets of narrow foot position leg press. My goal was slow deep reps and I was able to accomplish that.

Then I did 4 sets of lunges with weights and a couple of sets with no weight.

Before I started, I spent 14 minutes on the bike and even with just those two main exercises, I was there for over 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Then I sat in the hot tub, then steamroom, then sauna. xdarthveganx was with me again today and he bought me lunch at Blossoming Lotus after our workout.

Thanks man!

Let's keep this up like we did before and we'll both get some great results!

I still can't do them. I wish I could, but I still can't do squats, deadlifts, and a few other exercises.

I honestly don't know when I'll be able to do squats again. They were my favorite exercise for a while and even with low bodyweight I could squat 345lbs for a few reps. Now 135 injures my back and I can't do much for a few weeks.

Maybe someday again, but for now I have a hard time picking up a light box off of the floor at my house or even bending a certain way can give me trouble for hours or days.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing slow deep reps of leg press and lunges and a few other exercises and do what I can.

Have you considered seeing an osteopath/chiropracter regarding your back? There are very few people who cannot squat (more who cannot deadlift) - it is just a question of figuring out what you need to strengthen/stretch to squat.

Plus, form work needs to be top priority once you know what you need to do.

Jonathan

I just can't afford to get my back looked at right now. I'd like to and I'm starting to make it a priority for my funds. I owe a few thousand dollars so that makes it even more difficult, but soon I hope to have some sort of health insurance. It is expensive in America and not all can afford to see doctors of any kind.

I know a bunch of people who can't squat or deadlift because of injuries they have, but I'd like to be able to do both again. I was even fairly strong with somewhat inconsistent training, so if I do it right, I could be pretty good and move some heavy weights.

I'll see what I can do and provide updates.

I trained abs today for about 30 minutes. I mostly did leg raises, crunches and what I call "the bridge", resting on my toes and forearms holding my body up and tightening the abs.

Tomorrow I think I'm training with xdarthveganx.

It is awesome that he takes me along to his gym, which is way bigger and better than my gym. I may join soon but I just need to get finances in order and things like that.

Anyway, good ab day today and it is time to eat.

But first.....I feel like I'm being pretty consistent and working pretty hard. LizWorld and others have helped motivate and inspire me to take a break from competing and put on size.

This is a photo from today and I was pleasantly surprised that it looks "bulkier" than normal

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/ani6.jpg

Thanks Crystal

Today I trained biceps in the yard for 30-40 minutes. I just did a variety of EZ Bar Biceps curls.

Here are a few pics:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/biceps1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/biceps2.jpg

I trained legs today and it was good. I only ate fruit all day and the session was at 4PM but I felt strong. Then I had a burrito after that.

I did 5 sets of leg press

4 sets of narrow foot position leg press

5 sets of weighted lunges

5 sets of leg extensions

5 sets of calf raises

It was about 1 hour and 20 minutes and it felt really good. I've had 6 leg workouts in less than 6 weeks so that is cool.

I'm still training. I just haven't been online much in the past 4 days. I'm training abs, arms and legs in a rotation because of a left shoulder injury.

Today I was picking up a few young coconuts and hurt my back.....and people wonder why I don't squat. I can't even handle bening over sometimes

LizWorld and I went for a run and skip in Forest Park. So that was really cool. It hurt my back a bit, but I managed to hobble along and only complain and whine part of the time.

We're going to train in the morning so I should get some sleep sometime soon.

It's not even late but I'm exhausted! I also had too many VEGAN doughnuts today too!

I trained abs this morning for about 45 minutes and then forearms for 20 minutes. I also had a 20-minute walk to and from the gym with LizWorld so that was cool.

I also did the back hanging again and got 1 min 20 seconds and then 1 minute 45 seconds.

Normally I don't train forearms but it was fun to bust them out today and then I flexed the forearms for potter and Jamie tonight

I don't think I ate enough today but LizWorld ate enough for both of us, plus more!

I trained abs this morning for about 45 minutes and then forearms for 20 minutes. I also had a 20-minute walk to and from the gym with LizWorld so that was cool.

I also did the back hanging again and got 1 min 20 seconds and then 1 minute 45 seconds.

Normally I don't train forearms but it was fun to bust them out today and then I flexed the forearms for potter and Jamie tonight

I don't think I ate enough today but LizWorld ate enough for both of us, plus more!

LOL I sure did!!

Don't forget, we went for a one hour hike today as well!!! Stairs Rocky himself would hav ebeen proud of. i know at least my legs were begging for mercy...

Oh yeah, I forgot about your whining and complaining on the mountain tonight

We have been pretty active ever since you got back. In the forest everyday

Yoga on Wednesday and Aikido and Muay Thai soon too

Today I took a 90-minute Yoga class from a woman who was my first friend in Utah when I moved to Salt Lake City in 1999. She's a totally awesome vegan fitness woman and I hope to feature her on the website sometime.

Maybe she'll join our community sometime.

I also took a 90-minute Aikido class this evening. So no weights today but still 3 hours of training. I've also only had fruits today and a couple of veggies as I'm preparing to cleanse tomorrow.

I have 3 hours of training tomorrow as well so hopefully I'll do OK with just water and salt! It sounds a little crazy but I think I can handle it.

Both classes were great and I had a lot of fun.

Now, it's time to sleep.