your ideal place to live?

V VII Hero

I have lived in several places up and down the East Coast of the US. And I have a long list of where I would like to spend time visiting.

However, where I live now is my home and I feel like it is home everytime I see the land after being away for a bit.

A few years ago I wanted to live in South Africa more than any other place. I've also been interested in Australia, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.

In the US, I really like Portland, Oregon...San Francisco, the state of New Hampshire, San Diego, and I also really like my town of Corvallis, Oregon.

I don't see myself living here in Corvallis in the future, but possibly Portland or somewhere in California.

I'm not ruling out other countries either and I'd love to live somewhere abroad.

I guess it depends on work/relationship situations over the next couple of years.

If you could get all the Californians out of there, I'd live in San Diego for certain. It has the best year-round climate I've ever experienced. I was stationed there in the early 80's.

Without unrealistic prerequisites, I'd have to say that I was most comfortable (politically, socially, and climate-wise) in Portland, OR.

But my first choice would be Skinnydipperland! Entirely libertarian, 80 degrees year round, never rains when you're riding your motorcycle, and clothing is always optional.

wow a couple of yous said the ideal place I want to live:

Portland, Oregon. a veganfriendly city with an awesome atmosphere. a very clean city as well. one can get around on bicycle or public transportation. on one side of the city you have the ocean and on the other, the mountains. I think its perfect, especially for a snowboarder like me. and I imagine the hiking to be beautiful. I visted once in early fall of 2003. And I cant wait to go back.

I also really enjoyed Vermont.

I havent checked out much of the rest of the world but I hear some of these places are awesome:

Vancouver, Canada

Japan

New Zealand

Edinburgh, Scotland

I'd like to somehow work and live in a country for like half a year, and the move to another one. I think it be fun to hop from country to country on a work visa while I am young.

my first place Id like to move though is Portland. then we'll see where my life will take me from there.

hey Rob if you ever plan to move to Portland, perhaps you and I could split an apartment?

Hey Topher,

I was in Portland today and it was after I had replied to your post and as I was driving around I was thinking that there are few places I enjoy more. Portland is one of the greatest places I've been and I've been to 31 countries and 31 US states.

I've also spent a bunch of time in Vancouver, a place you listed, and it is really nice too.

Nothing beats the view of Portland at night, and some of the other great views I've seen are in Ireland, Scotland, Russia, and Denmark. Oh, and sailing into Stockholm Sweden there are something like 30,000 islands. It is so awesome to see!

But yeah man, I've been wanting to move to Portland for a long time and I still go up there a few times a month.

If we ever lived there at the same time and became roomates, I think we'd two of the awesomest vegan bodybuilders around! I'm not sure Awesomest is a word but that is what we'd be

I've heard great things about New Zealand but haven't been there yet.

Travel as much as you can man, it's an awesome time. I did that for nearly 3 years, just traveled all over the place and it was totally cool.

I would like to live in Colorado. It's got rivers, national parks, health food stores. There was an organic place in Manitou Springs...really good and I think entierly vegan, plus the town was really into the grateful dead. Or someplace in New Mexico would be great too.

My little brother has lived in Colorado for 3 years. It is an awesome place, another one of the great US states. So much to do there!

And they have the #1 ranked city in the US, according to some polls: Boulder.

Portland is also way up there in rankings. I don't the list on what they rank on but a wide variety of things. Crime, climate, things to do, air quality, nearby attractions, quality of schools, all that stuff is figured into it.

My town, Corvallis, OR is usually in the top 10 for the whole country

Hawaii, California, or Florida. I want to be near the beach !

Not been to Hawaii, but looking forward to it someday. I'm a California ex-patriote, too crowded.

Florida was great! I also loved the Caymans and Jamaica.

Jon

If I could live anywhere - I'd want to live in Virgin Islands except during hurricane season. Yes we have hurricanes here but so far my house has always been standing after they blow thru... it'd be a lot worse living on an island. I'd like to be somewhere it is always warm. Here the weather changes drastically during January and February it could be like 70 and higher one day and then a day later the high only get up to like 40. Its hard to deal with that.

I spent nearly a year out in the Caribbean and I really enjoyed it. I went to lots of different countries and Islands and had a great experience pretty much everywhere. St. Martin was great, St. Barts was also really awesome. St. Thomas was pretty cool, Aruba was awesome, Grand Cayman was really beautiful, all those places are pretty awesome and it would be fun to live there for a while.

It's so hard to choose where to live, that is why I jump around so much I think, I just want to experience lots of different places.

• 9 months later...

Hello All!

This is one of my favorite subjects of discussion and/or daydreaming. I'vr traveled around the US quite a bit, plus a little in Canada & Mexico. I'm constantly reading about places that interest me...

Anyway here are my top picks:

#1. Cascadia! In all my travels & reading, I have not found a place that beats this region - at least for my particular lifestyle & interests, etc.

The exact borders vary a bit depending on who you talk with but at a minimum it includes the land from the top of the Cascade mountains west to the coast, plus outlying islands. NW California is on the southern end and SW British Columbia is up top - Oregon and Washington are the core. Others extend Cascadia north to Alaska and south to the Bay area in Cali and inland to anywhere in the Columbia river drainage.

Elsewhere in North America:

- Asheville & Western North Carolina or just the southern Appalachians in general is my favorite part of the SE US.

- In the NE, the Vermont & New Hampshire / Northern Appalachians region is nice.

- Heading west, I like the highlands of the SW: Colorado, New Mexico & Arizona plus NW Sonora in Mexico. I hate Phoenix, most other cities & towns are nice.

- The Northern Rockies in western Wyoming & Montana are really nice - Missoula would be my first pick for a town to live in.

- In Canada, I really want to explore BC & Alberta more. Both appeal to me in different ways as a place to live.

In Latin America:

- Costa Rica & Argentina sound nice. Maybe Venezuala?

And Beyond:

- New Zealand

- SW Europe: Switzerland, France & Italy

I hope this thread keeps going!

Edited by loveliberate

I would like to live in Colorado. It's got rivers, national parks, health food stores. There was an organic place in Manitou Springs... really good and I think entierly vegan, plus the town was really into the grateful dead. Or someplace in New Mexico would be great too.

CollegeB,

Funny that you should mention Manitou! I used to live there and it's one of the main places that pops in to my head when someone is talking about mountain towns. If I returned to Colorado, I'd definitely consider living there. Pueblo & Fort Collins are also high on my list.

I generally prefer New Mexico though. It's less crowded, more affordable, more laid-back, down-to-earth, lots more Native & Mexicano culture, etc.

Ps. Even though I'm a hippy, I'm still grateful that he's dead! (mostly kidding)

dificult.. I can't say anything about life time..

Uk, Spain, are cool for me have not been ouside europe but think alot about latin america..

work ad relationship are the words.. like robert wrote.. not that it could not work the other way around first location than work/study,.. etc