So now that I'm Vegan...

I just was told by a pure meat and potatoes type friend of mine, that it's pronounced vee-gan not vay-gan!

Anyways, I have bought the book "Becoming Vegan", but I have been real busy lately and this book is going to take me a while to read.

In the mean time, what sort of nutrients and stuff do I have to make sure to consume now that I don't eat eggs and dairy?

Right now I'm not taking any supplements. My daily diet is consistantly a peanut butter and banana sandwich, a falafel with fatoush(mushrooms, red and green peppers, onions, tomatoes), and thai food("Pineapple Tofu" which is tofu, pineapple, tomatoes, and green peppers over rice). I don't cook right now(I dont have anything in my kitchen but a little fridge and a hotplate).

I know I'm doing this wrong, so can any one give me some help to ensure I don't get sick and not stick with it?

In the mean time, what sort of nutrients and stuff do I have to make sure to consume now that I don't eat eggs and dairy?

except vitamin b12 - nothing. there are plenty of foods out there which are fortified with it, for example juices, cornflakes, soy milk and so on. there really should be no problem with that

Right now I'm not taking any supplements. My daily diet is consistantly a peanut butter and banana sandwich, a falafel with fatoush(mushrooms, red and green peppers, onions, tomatoes), and thai food("Pineapple Tofu" which is tofu, pineapple, tomatoes, and green peppers over rice). I don't cook right now(I dont have anything in my kitchen but a little fridge and a hotplate).

I know I'm doing this wrong, so can any one give me some help to ensure I don't get sick and not stick with it?

your diet looks good to me, although I'm not an expert. don't know what your goals are, whether you want to gain weight or drop a few pounds.

don't worry too much about malnutrition, just read around on the web and explore the vegan cuisine, have fun!

Lelle is right...as long as you get your calories in with even a modestly well rounded diet its impossible to not get what you need...after that you've gotta base your diet on what you plan on doing with your body

I just was told by a pure meat and potatoes type friend of mine, that it's pronounced vee-gan not vay-gan!

LOL!

When I first learned about veganism (very shortly after going vegetarian in 1975) and bacame 'almost vegan,' I had never heard the word, and nobody knew what it was, and most books didn't give a pronunciation guide. I thought maybe it was pronounced "veg -un" (as in the first syllable of 'vegetarian": logical, right?

Luckily, one author made the very wise assumption that maybe people don't automatically know how to pronounce it, and gave a pronunciation guide. (though, I think that "vay-gun" is considered an alternate pronunciation that some Brits use? I'm not sure, so maybe our English members will confirm or deny!)

I was in a natural foods store a few weeks ago, and a man who looked to be about in his early 80s was asking if they had any 'vay-gun' bagels. He kept repeating "VAY-gun," so I made sure I got to talk to him (pointing out some vegan breads) so he heard what it's really pronounced like!

vegetables and fruit have way more important nutrients and vitamins than meat and dairy and eggs. The main thing you lose by cutting those out is protein and fat, which you can get from a variety of places, but don't worry about supplements other than B12. If you want to take a multi-vitamin, if it makes you feel more seccure, go ahead

I highly recommend the book "Plant-based nutrition and health" by Stephen Walsh:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0907337260/sr=8-1/qid=1155737550/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2935639-2040668?ie=UTF8

In it, the author makes recommendations for the healthiest vegan diet, based on numerous studies.

And it's great for those who don't have much time to read, as there are summary points at the end of each chapter, and a summary of all recommendations at the end of the book. (Also good, because Walsh has a background as a scientist, and his writing at times gets a bit heavy).

An excellent supplement that is specifically made for vegans is available at Dr. Fuhrman's site (www.drfuhrman.com ). I personally prefer whole foods and superfoods as supplements rather than supplements based on isolated nutrients, but I think this one is good as a safety net, for making sure that the nutrients that are sometimes low in a vegan diet are supplied.

If you do supplement, find a supplement that doesn't contain vitamin A or beta carotene (like Fuhrman's), as these can be dangerous in isolated form (see Fuhrman's site for info).

Eat more...eat more often and lift weights if thats what your looking for...also if your not a person who accumulates fat it wouldn't be a bad idea to eat alot at night either

Cool, thanks again!

After reading around the forum I'm going to add broccoli dipped in peanutbutter and vegatable protein mash (which they sell at a nearby health food store, not sure how it tastes), with a pint of Soymilk. Throw in my regular protein shakes, some flax seed oil, and a multi vitamin and I should be good.

Leafy greens are said to be good too...I haven't tried putting kale or collard in my shakes but it seems to be quite popular around here

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the help, I feel better now.

So I guess this means I should get some B12. As for my body I'm trying to gain weight, so I probably should just eat more...

Great idea!! Just take a little once a week. You don't have to take it every day. I break my 500 MG tabs in half and take about 2-3 times a week.

• 4 weeks later...

When you say "regular protein shakes" are those whey/casein shakes? Both are like super-concentrated dairy.

I would recommend finding ways to add more greens or a green supplement to really get the full benefit, or juicing them if that is an option. Another great option if you are not ready to add that much stuff to your diet is a shot of wheat grass.

For protein the best I have found so far are raw hemp and barely sprouted quinoa (although I have not had it in my diet for a while, but may be adding it back in soon).

You might feel limited in your cooking abilities but I spent a year cooking in my college dorm. The hot plate is okay if you've got a skillet, I guess you could use a pot, I never thought of doing that. I would recommend a rice cooker, and a slow cooker. They should help you out a lot and then you can control your cooking more. There are also counter top ovens now you can get for like $$30 and yes you can make bread in them. I made biscuits on several occassions. The small fridge, if you even can use half of it and the freezer should be enough for you except that you will probably have to go to the grocery store more often.