Quinoa

Zack

I was grocery shopping today and where I go they have bulk items like nuts, rice, beans, and other grains. I bought some quinoa today to try, I know how to prepare it and everything, but what is a typical serving size and how much protein is in a serving? I checked it out and I think it's similar to oatmeal.

the best nutriiton site Ive found on the net...

My favorite site for nutrition as well. Check out raw spinach sometime--you get a nearly perfect "wheel" for nutritional composition. Incidentally, botanically speaking, it and quinoa are related (Chenopodia family).

Before I started sprouting quinoa I just soaked them and one time I did it for for days and kept changing the water out and it really smelled terrible...I've also eaten it close to that point and thats no good either

Quinoa is definitely a quick sprouter! Kathryn is right: it is a seed and the best time to eat sprouted quinoa is when you can just see the tail popping out ~ within 3-4 hours. That is when it contains the highest amount of nutrients as well (I think).

• 2 weeks later...

so i've been sprouting quinoa this past week. It works like a charm. But it taste pretty bland. Are there any good mixtures that people like to do with sprouted quinoa. I've really liked doing soymilk or almond milk, sprouted buckwheat groats, and fruit . . . but the quinoa doesn't respond as well. I can eat the sprouted buckwheat by the spponful no prob, but the quinoa . . . Any suggestions or just suck it up?

I like to sprout it and add everything I do to my couscous but cumin/curry powders...that means oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, definatley ginger, carrots...sometimes onion and the main difference between my quinoa and couscous is the shoyu(organic soysauce), and raisins or currants...it also tastes extremely amazing in guspacho

Oh...I recommend sprouting wheat berries...I did it for the first time two weeks ago an they're great(I'm avoiding wheat for the moment though)

Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I as well am trying to avoid the wheat, so i'll pass on the wheat berries. Like i said, i love the buckwheat, and I'm trying to sprout amaranth as we speak. I'll try millet later in the week as well. I'm digging this sprouting thing.

Hi,Kurt.

Any chance you can make that avatar smaller? (I'm concerned about the server space it will take up every time you post...it also makes 'finding '' your message a bit tougher).TIA!

When you use quinoa, make sure to rinse it very well beforehand (like putting it in a fine strainer, then sloshing that around in a pan of water for a bit, then rinsing) as it is coated with a naturally occuring saponin that makes it bitter.

I tried sprouted quinoa once, but like you, didn't like the finished product that much (I tried to make a raw 'pilaf' with shreaded carrots, cucumbers, onions). I may try again (or just sprout the quinoa and then lightly steam it a bit).

let me know how the amaranth thing goes...never heard of anyone sprouting that...the weirdest thing I've sprouted are mustard seeds...they were really mustardy/slimy but a little sweet

I'm not sure how to make my avatar smaller . . . for the time being . . .i'll let it go. Next time I will try and rinse the quinoa more. I only washed it a little bit. I'll see what happens. Thanks:)

In regards to the amaranth veganpotter . . . i'm not sure if it really sprouted. It got softer . . . i couldn't see much of any tales . . . i soaked it for about 4 hours, then drained it . . . 8 hours later rinsed . . . 8 hours later i ate it. I enjoyed. But i really enjoyed the buck-wheaties that i just made. I sprouted the buckwheat just a bit. Then dehydrated it overnight (about 8 hours). In the morning i put some cinnamon (my fav!!!!) on it and some almond milk. It was just like eating cold cereal as a kid again.

Quick question. Can you sprout fennel seeds? If so . . . how long . . . and are they good?

If I sprout . . . I don't cook. But i have been trying to dehydrate some things (like buckwheat and quinoa). I don't know if you consider this cooking or not. I use the mr. coffee dehydrator. Does that answer the question.

P.S. I just sprouted millet for the first time . . . I LIKE IT!!! What else can grow tales???

When you dehydrate quinoa, what do you do with it?

I really like dehydrated buckwheat (good cereal).

For those who have sprouted buckwheat, how did you do it? The instructions I followed said that it's difficult, and that it often leads to a slimey mess if done the way most grains are. I soaked it for 15 minutes (only!) then rinsed it every hour for the first 4 hours (as per instructions). The bag I used did get slimey goo on it, but the buckwheat itself ended up okay.

Kurt: I see your avatar is back! Did you try that web site? Is it easy to use? (I haven't tried it yet myself).

Kathryn

The site was easy, but then i wasn't able to load the avatar because it was too large (storage wise)? So I went back to the host site as the instructions in the introduction page of this forum said and had my picture re-hosted . . . and it worked.

In regards to your quinoa question, i just put about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on it, and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (pre-made in the aceptic package . . .i haven't made my own nut milks yet . . .any suggestions are welcome) and then ate it. It was very crunchy as i dehydrated it overnight . . . about 8 hours. Not as good as the buck-wheaties though.

In regards to the buckwheat sprouting, I soaked i cup of raw buckwheat groats in my glass majon jar with a plastic screen on the top for about 30mins. then i drained it (this is at night). The next morn. i added water, and drained again. That night I added water and drained again (to drain i just put the jar upside down at a tilt into a bowl to collect all the water). By the next morn they are ready to eat, or i can dehydrate them at that point. Hope this helps.

I have never tried quinoa before but after reading this thread and having some recommended by a nutritionist, i bought some last week... hadn't done anything with them yet as, as always, everything i eat depends on how quickly it's prepared.

but then yesterday going into the supermarket, in the organic and health foods section which is right near the entrance the first thing i spot is organic quinoa flakes for hot breakfast cereal... they are just quinoa flakes you cook in boiling water for a minute and a half and they're ready... i had some this morning, they are pretty good! i especially like they are a grain that is gluten free

the thing that bothers me is that although the only ingredient listed is organic quinoa, i know they must've been processed somehow...