how long does it roughly take to digest a protein shake?

lelle

does anybody have an idea?

I'm just curious and thought about it the last days.

let's say it's a "normal one" (300-400ml) with soy milk, soy protein, a banana and some flax oil added - I would say it should go through your body quite fast but I'm not sure

Well when I first started them and was working out a lot, lifting heavy I'd have one and then not half an hour later i'd want a meal. As time and training went on I would just want a shake and then I might not eat for 2 hrs, but I think by that point my training was not as intense.

Complete digestion definitley takes a few hours at least, but i guess you mean stomach transition time.

Although this obviously varies, these three factors have an impact on the duration food lies in your stomach:

- Volume of the meal. If you eat just a few bites, no matter what it is the food will leave the stomach much sooner than if you stuff yourselfto the brink. This is due to enzyme and acid concentration and to motoric breakdown of the food. This is also the reason not to drink to ameal or after a meal: the liquid adds to the volume in the stomach and dilutes digestive enzymes, thus increasing stomach transition time (which is bad for several reasons).

- Fat. The higher the fat content is, the longer stomach digestion takes. The reason is that fat molecules coat protein and carbohydrate molecules in the stomach, making them hard to acces by water soluble digestive enzymes.

- Molecule length. Longer proteins and carbs take longer to digest than short chains.

So when making a protein shake, it depends on what you want. If it's a post workout shake, don't use any fat or oil, use water or juice. Also, just 10-20g of Protein are better than alarge amount, because it will be absorbed faster.

If you want a filling shake, it's ok to use soymilk and oil in it for extra calories.

- Volume of the meal. If you eat just a few bites, no matter what it is the food will leave the stomach much sooner than if you stuff yourselfto the brink. This is due to enzyme and acid concentration and to motoric breakdown of the food. This is also the reason not to drink to ameal or after a meal: the liquid adds to the volume in the stomach and dilutes digestive enzymes, thus increasing stomach transition time (which is bad for several reasons).

I was going to say that this varies by person too. My protein shakes were always only around 20 grams of protein at the most.

I really shouldn't drink as much with meals...I'm starting to think it's the reason I haven't been as hungry lately.

Are you asking this, so that once it has ben totally digested, you're going to drink another one right away? Chain-protein-drink? Protein combo

right! now, that the we have a new contest I need at least a triple-kick-ass-protein combo after my workout