First ''Modern'' Vegans..

andgbr

I would consider Bronson Alcott and the Fruitlands commune to be the first modern vegans. Bronson was Louisa May Alcott's father. (she wrote Little Women). Fruitlands only lasted a couple of years in the early 1800's. These guys were hardcore! There were no grocery stores or textile mills, and these guys refused to use animals as food or even for plowing or transportation. They also refused to wear leather or wool! They were quite literally cold and hungry. You can read a short summary of Fruitlands here: http://www.alcott.net/alcott/home/fruitlands.html The Fruitlands farm is also still open today as a museum.

I would consider Bronson Alcott and the Fruitlands commune to be the first modern vegans. Bronson was Louisa May Alcott's father. (she wrote Little Women). Fruitlands only lasted a couple of years in the early 1800's. These guys were hardcore! There were no grocery stores or textile mills, and these guys refused to use animals as food or even for plowing or transportation. They also refused to wear leather or wool! They were quite literally cold and hungry. You can read a short summary of Fruitlands here: http://www.alcott.net/alcott/home/fruitlands.html The Fruitlands farm is also still open today as a museum.

i hope they have vegan food..

ehehe, oh, that's awesome.. i can't imagine being Vegan at that time..

What do you mean by modern...surely there have been vegans since the invention of electricity...altough they were probably seen as being way more crazy than us so nobody payed any attension at all

What do you mean by modern...surely there have been vegans since the invention of electricity...altough they were probably seen as being way more crazy than us so nobody payed any attension at all

Modern Vegans i mean, those with small or (no influence ) of ancient religions, those from 1700's to 1900's in the Western or European world. Besides the fruitland, is there any group who was vegetarian or vegan?

Rare uhn? Sorry for my curiosity, but I'm unable to control myself sometimes.

And i also wanted to know the oldest vegan ( not only by age, but who has vegan the longest )

Again, be patient with me, i know i ask too much.

Perhaps it's because i'm one of the youngest members in here.

I doubt there would have been a group...religious or not but I would say that there had to be at least one vegan at some point with no influences other than seeing animals tortured at nearly every moment since civilization began.

I doubt there would have been a group...religious or not but I would say that there had to be at least one vegan at some point with no influences other than seeing animals tortured at nearly every moment since civilization began.

maybe not in the ice age..

The first modern vegans were the founding members of the Vegan Society in the 1944. There may have been people similar to vegans before that time, but they weren't vegans because veganism as a philosophy and way of life didn't exist. Thus, first modern vegans were people like Donald Watson and Elsie Shrigley. Watson just passed away earlier this year at the age of 95.

The first modern vegans were the founding members of the Vegan Society in the 1944. There may have been people similar to vegans before that time, but they weren't vegans because veganism as a philosophy and way of life didn't exist. Thus, first modern vegans were people like Donald Watson and Elsie Shrigley. Watson just passed away earlier this year at the age of 95.

I disagree, the Fruitlands experiment was founded on purely vegan principles, in a time when it was extremely impractical to be vegan. There was no word 'vegan', but surely the philosophy was there.

I disagree, the Fruitlands experiment was founded on purely vegan principles, in a time when it was extremely impractical to be vegan. There was no word 'vegan', but surely the philosophy was there.

i guess i agree with you.. the fruitlands might have created the modern idea ( remember the Himalayans tribes ), and the VeganSociety the movement.

That's the problem with language. If a word doesn't exist at a time, people have a hard time grasping the concept. For instance, many people don't know what a vegan is, and so people think it's odd when I tell them that I don't eat animal derived ingredients, they didn't know you could do that.