Fundamentalist Swimwear

michaelhobson

Yeah, click the pictures in my first post. The muslim one is an article about an Australian swimsuit line that recently added these. The christian one is a home business from some US fundamentalists.

All I can say, is thank goodness for Aussiebum, it means I can hold my head high as a happy flesh flaunting Aussie...

Here is an example...

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6766/aussiebumuc5.jpg

It all comes down to personal choice & respect for other peoples choices, even if that respect is not mutual and particularly when we dont understand &/or don't like/agree with the other persons choices. I'm an athiest who has no problem with people choosing to be nude in public if they want but I can also definitely understand why people choose to wear clothes like that.

There's a lot more to this than just the religous aspects. Everything in life is made into a cheap commodity, including our bodies... Women in particular are put under a tremendous & increasing amount of pressure to conform to artificial & unhealthy standards of "beauty" - with devastating effects to many, many peoples mental & emotional health.

Now if you were at a resort where EVERYBODY walked around naked, would the thought pattern be reversed?

I don't think I'd feel very comfortable sitting down on a bench or bike seat naked, that some naked person just got off of.

As for the swimwear, I like the Muslim style, but the Christian version is pretty ugly!

And feet and ankles can be pretty titilating (as can the word 'titilating) for some people, I'm surprised they are allowed to be shown.

It all comes down to personal choice & respect for other peoples choices, even if that respect is not mutual and particularly when we dont understand &/or don't like/agree with the other persons choices. I'm an athiest who has no problem with people choosing to be nude in public if they want but I can also definitely understand why people choose to wear clothes like that.

There's a lot more to this than just the religous aspects. Everything in life is made into a cheap commodity, including our bodies... Women in particular are put under a tremendous & increasing amount of pressure to conform to artificial & unhealthy standards of "beauty" - with devastating effects to many, many peoples mental & emotional health.

Well put loveliberate!

It's very shocking to see the body image issues created by the media and the entertainment/fashion industries.

Not too long ago one of my daughter's friends (at the age of 5) was expressing concern that she was getting fat.

How wrong is that!?!?

Well put loveliberate!

It's very shocking to see the body image issues created by the media and the entertainment/fashion industries.

Not too long ago one of my daughter's friends (at the age of 5) was expressing concern that she was getting fat.

How wrong is that!?!?

I think being perpetually clothed is a big part of the problem here. We never see "real" people naked. I think many would be shocked to see what your average person really looks like naked. I think seeing others in their natural form would help people have a healthier outlook on their own bodies.

I agree with all 3 points Well put, all 3 of you. I don't have much to add, but I understand all of the recent issues related to the discussion.

I guess, the question is....what is the future going to look like? How do we approach cultural and religious reasons to be clothed, while addressing the issue that being clothed is part of the problem that leads to mental and emotional health issues associated with nudity?

Rob, I think attitudes are slowly shifting over time. Like most cultural changes, it's a two steps forward-one step back approach. I think part of the fundamentalist movement right now is just a backlash against change. The backlash will end eventually and we'll stride forward again.

It's a slow process, but hopefully the outcome will ultimately be positive for everyone. The fundamentalists will reach a point where they don't feel threatened and have their faith strengthened which is what is most important to them. The progressives will earn the rights to live life more freely and not be attacked by fundamentalists. Of course, then we'll probably all find something else to fight about.

Yeah, I agree. Some things are a slow process, and in some cases we won't get to experience many changes we'd like to see, during our lifetime.

And it's also a bit sad, that certain groups will never agree with one another. It's good that we're all different, it just amazes me how people can grow up in the same environment, even same household, and have completely different views on things, and have very strong opinions, determined to never change. Perhaps that is how most people view us?

Slow change (in the right direction) is good. We'll take it for now

• 16 years later...

From my experience, I can tell you that finding good women's swimwear these days can be quite a challenge. This is due to the fact that over the past few years a huge number of different swimwear manufacturers have appeared and among all this abundance it is really difficult to find a reliable one. Fortunately, recently I was lucky enough to stumble upon this beachwear for ladies, which surprised me with its original design, quality materials and relatively low price. You should definitely pay attention to it!