Favorite mass-building exercises?

robert

What are some of your favorite mass-building exercises? Don't feel obligated to list squats if they're not really your favorite

Squats were my favorite, but I can't do them anymore due to an injured back.

I'm looking into doing more mass building before competing this summer.

The exercises I've been doing lately that help build mass are:

Leg Press

Bench Press (lots of variations)

Pull-ups

Dips

Shrugs

I don't do a lot of power exercises because I'm trying to strengthen my core and not get injured. I have to stay away from a lot of things that involve bending (like deadlifts, squats, bent-over rows, etc.).

Anyway, what about some of you? Favorite exercises to build mass?

I love deadlifts and squats too! I just can't really do them right now

But I plan on doing lots of other heavy compound exercises and in general, I plan on doing heavy weights with lower reps for most exercises. I've been doing a lot of 10-15 rep pumping workouts which are great for photos but it's time to pack on some muscle!

I gotta go eat now too!

Rob my man! I am betting that you could squat and deadlift given time and some dedicated form work! I also hurt my back last year, which made deadlifting and in some instances squatting quite painful, but you just have to nail the form. Start with a really light weight and work up from there. We are talking about 70-90lbs for the squat and 135lbs for the deadlift. Look at lots of online resources for tips on correct form, watch videos and take videos yourself so that you can see yourself lift. You would be suprised when it all comes together

On to my favourite mass builders:

Deadlifts

Squats

Push press

Bent over rows

Jonathan

Thanks Jono,

I think in the past I had "OK" form, but now it is terrible as Daywalker and Crystal and others know. I have so much fear when I do those exercises I can't do them properly.

I will try to start light. My back takes so long to heal, many months most of the time so I really hate to think about hurting it again.

Even yesterday I did some very light bent-over rows. Something I haven't been able to do in years. I'm still doing core training to help make myself stronger and support my lower back even more.

We'll see how it goes. I'll update progress in my training log or in one of these fitness sections.

Thanks.

What about the power clean? According to Ian King the numero uno mass building exercise. For Polliquin it's the box deadlift. I'm currently giving snatch a try, although I believe I'll need another year to perfect it. No, not perfect it, not mess it up would be more appropriate. Damn tricky.

Squats and dumbell bench. I am working on deepening my squats while keeping my back in proper form. Right now my form is good until I start to dip below parallel, then my lower back begins to bend. My favorite exercise is standing barbell curls, but I know many don't consider that much of a mass exercise.

I did some heavy bench presses yesterday, even 1 1/2 reps for one set . I was mostly training with sets of 5. I will keep this up for a bit. Even if I can't do some of the real power exercises I'm going to try to lift very heavy with everything that I am doing and see how that works.

I continue to work on my core strength, flexibility and even some sauna treatments and maybe massage soon too. Trying to get myself back on track and walk around with nearly 200 lbs on me as I did a couple of years ago. I loved being that size! Robert Cheeke back in action, let's make it happen!

I really enjoy deadlifts. I think they might be my favorite move for mass. Last week I found some old pictures from when I first started lifting and it was incredible to see how much progress I have made. Deads have helped me get where I am now; along with including the other two of the "big three" in my routine. My leg day is definately the most intense for building mass. Squats and Romanian Deads in the same day. By the end of the workout I'm pretty much ready to collapse, but its worth it. I think keeping my reps at six to eight for the big three and doing standard body building moves with higher reps (8-10) is helping me build mass and stay lean at the same time. I think I will start including standard deads on my back day too, just to add more terror. Rock!!!