Home gyms vs. sports clubs

robert

I actually lift better on my own with nobody in the gym...the first time I leg pressed 1200pounds it was a total failure but I did it later at the end of a hard workout by myself(very dangerous I know but I was a stupid 14yr old). Same goes for the first time I benched 315. Also I tend to get more reps in if I'm alone...I think the fear factor of not having a spotter forces you to lift more if you dumb enough to risk maxing without spotters.

• 2 weeks later...

double awwww...lol

I like both home gym and gym-gym. I keep a set of free weights next to the couch so sometimes I'll do some upper body reps while I watch TV or during commercials. I'm aware of the pitfalls of being too distracted by the TV while working out, but I'm at a point where I just need to get in the movement anywhere I can. I also try to tune into Fit-TV when I can...my supplement for missing gym classes.

I like the privacy, convenience, and no-cost of working out at home, BUT I am usually more focused at the gym. When I walk into the gym my brain and body respond to the environment with thoughts like, "Ok time for a good workout!" At home, that's my retreat, my place of relaxation and it seems harder to get in the bust-a-move mood. I've tried to curb this by establishing a workout room but it has yet to have the same effect as being at a gym.

Last time I worked out at a gym, I was also a trainer there so competitive nature or not, I was constantly aware of members watching me, which helped me keep a certain standard in my workouts.

I will say though, I only like ladies-only gyms. Too much booby-lookin' from guys at co-ed gyms, and I know its dumb but I always feel the need to look cute at the gym with guys around..LOL. So on that issue I definitely favor home gyms and using your own body weight for workouts whenever possible.

double awwww...lol

I like both home gym and gym-gym. I keep a set of free weights next to the couch so sometimes I'll do some upper body reps while I watch TV or during commercials. I'm aware of the pitfalls of being too distracted by the TV while working out, but I'm at a point where I just need to get in the movement anywhere I can. I also try to tune into Fit-TV when I can...my supplement for missing gym classes.

I like the privacy, convenience, and no-cost of working out at home, BUT I am usually more focused at the gym. When I walk into the gym my brain and body respond to the environment with thoughts like, "Ok time for a good workout!" At home, that's my retreat, my place of relaxation and it seems harder to get in the bust-a-move mood. I've tried to curb this by establishing a workout room but it has yet to have the same effect as being at a gym.

Last time I worked out at a gym, I was also a trainer there so competitive nature or not, I was constantly aware of members watching me, which helped me keep a certain standard in my workouts.

I will say though, I only like ladies-only gyms. Too much booby-lookin' from guys at co-ed gyms, and I know its dumb but I always feel the need to look cute at the gym with guys around..LOL. So on that issue I definitely favor home gyms and using your own body weight for workouts whenever possible.

This may sound weird coming from a straight guy but I generally prefer working out with other guys only and no girls. Girls always either...

A. Distract me

or

B. Make me do stupid things.

I like both. Home for most things as I don't have to deal with people I don't like(I still work out with people in my home) and I don't have to wear a shirt

Gym for the nice OL bar, rubber plates and lifting platform.

Here's my home gym:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/BryanGlyn/129_2910.jpg

I've got an orange bench to!

In a good home gym, what do you folks look for? Those are pretty tight gyms there. I'm looking for something I can do all-around body work, including squats, bench press, etc. Wobbly and SeaSiren...looks like you have similar equipment there?

Rubber plates an adjustable bench, a bar and dumbells from 20-60lbs would be optimal for me. A lifting platform would also be nice. Not enough people get the importance of rubber plates