I'm a sprouter

I bought a scoop of green lentils while Potter was in town.

Tuesday I decided to give sprouting a try.

I soaked them until Wed morning and rinsed several times during the day.

This morning, Thursday, they have tiny little tails.

I'll be eating something made with raw lentils soon.

I just googled sprouting lentils. Some quotes from the first page I read:

"The nutritive value of beans and lentils goes through the roof once they are sprouted."

"Here is what I did with these lentils: I nuked them for 7-8 minutes (in bursts of 2 minutes) to get them slightly tender."

Seems like a waste to me to go through the trouble of sprouting just to microwave them.

Now I just need a recipe to make with them.

I'm thinking some kind of hummus for my first attempt.

I tried a few of the lentils and they aren't the best by themselves.

Odd texture, which I can get over, but a bit too "green" flavored.

Do the other colored lentils taste and feel about the same?

I tried one of my sprouting garbonzos. Not very good.

I hope that my hummus will taste better.

Also sprouting some wheatberries to make banana bread.

It's gourmet raw, but that's ok.

There are certain kinds of legumes I remember my mom sprouting others she would never sprout... but wash & soak overnight and cook.

I dont know the fundamental behind it but I think 1000s of years of Ancient Indian food techniques is where it comes from.

e.g. Sprouting: Mung

e.g. Not sprouting but overnight soaking & cooking: Kidney Beans, Garbanzo beans, Black Lentil

e.g. Washing & cooking: Mung, Tuar,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

Lentils are relatively tolerant to drought and are grown throughout the world. About half of the worldwide production of lentils is from India, most of which is consumed in the domestic market.

The seeds have a short cooking time (especially for small varieties with the husk removed, such as the common red lentil) and a distinctive earthy flavor.

A large percentage of Indians are vegetarian and lentils have long been part of the indigenous diet as a common source of protein. Usually, lentils are boiled to a stew-like consistency with vegetables and then seasoned with a mixture of spices

http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Submit/lentilsDal.htm

The most popular dals are

Besan,

Moong Dal Whole,

Urad Dal Whole,

Urad Dal Chlka,

Tuvar Dal/Toovar Dal/Toor Dal,

Moong Dal (Lentil) with Spices,

Moong Dal Chilka,

Urad Dal without skin,

Kala Channa,

Kabuli Chana,

Moong Dal Split and without Skin,

Masoor Dal,

Channa Dal, Rajma

Here are some guidelines on how to cook Lentils/dal/dhal/grams/peas:

Dal or lentils is the staple food in every Indian home. Both the rich and the common person who lives on the street enjoy it. It is what chicken is to the west – it is India’s comfort food and also It’s usually the starter of every meal eaten with hot steaming rice or with freshly made chapati (leavened bread) straight off the girdle. Dal is every man’s meal and one of the healthy dishes in an otherwise red hot-chilly pepper Indian diet. The desert cuisines of Indians use an immense variety of pulses and preserves to substitute for the relative lack of fresh vegetables. It is also dried with spices to produce spice capsules to add to foods. The world of dal in India is truly one of India's culinary gem.

Most dals do not need soaking. They may be boiled with turmeric and ginger and then seasoned with sautéed onion and tomatoes. Roasted or oil sizzled cumin seeds adds an extra dimension to dals and aids in digestion of dals.

Tempering Dal

The tempering, or seasoning, is what makes the dal come alive. Turmeric gives dal the lovely golden hue. Dal is fat free and nature has designed it to absorb various combinations of seasonings and spices. There are innumerable variations of the simple seasoning and one can create their own individual taste. The standard ingredients include mustard seeds, jeers, red chilies or chili powder, hing/asafetida, onions, green chilies, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, garam masala, curry leaves. The fat of choice is ghee in the dal. Oil brings in a acidic after taste but if one is a vegan we suggest sunflower oil. seasonings are enhances in the ghee medium pushing their curative properties higher. Dals are commonly garnished with fresh chopped coriander and served hot.

Dal Common Vegetable Combinations

Dal + greens.

Dal + pumpkins, squash

Dal + Carrots

Dal Common Preparation Methods

Dry dal.

Sprouted dal

Dal Soups

For Pressure Cooking there is no need of soaking the lentils. If you are going to cook lentils often it would be a good idea to invest in a pressure cooker

Dal

Quantity

Water

Pressure cooking time after the pressure comes on

Tur/Tuvar, Massor

1 cup

3 cups

7 mins

Moong dal 1 cup 3 cups 5 minutes

Whole Masoor

1 cup

4 cups

12 min.

Whole Moong

1 cup

4 cups

15 min.

Moong split with skin

1 cup

4 cups

6 min.

Channa

1 cup

3 cups

8 min.

Let the dal cook and open the pressure cooker when the pressure subsides by itself.

Cooking in a pot with a cover - Once the dal comes to a boil, remember to cover it and set on a low flame. While cooking on the stove allows you to constantly check the dal's water level, it takes a lot more time.

Lentils Cooking details in a pot:

Shop here for Indian dals, lentils and Beans

Lentil Soaking time 1 cup dried

Lentil

to water ratio Cooking time

after the water

comes to a boil

Toordal

[Yellow Split Pea] does not need soaking 4 cups water 25 minutes

Moongdal(Whole)

[Mung Bean] 25-40 minutes. 5 cups water 20 minutes.

Moongdal(Split)

[split Husked

Mung Bean] does not need soaking 4 cups water 20-30 minutes.

Uraddal

[split Urd] does not need soaking 3.5 cups water 20 minutes.

Chanadal

[bengalGram/Split] does not need soaking 3.5 cup water 30 minutes.

Masoordal

[Orange/Split

Red Lentil] does not need soaking 3.5 cups water 20 minutes.

Kaala Chana

[black Chick Pea] 4-6 hours 4 cups water 30-40 minutes.

Thanks crashnburn

There are a few Indian dishes that I've tried and liked.

I like a couple of the TastyBite boxed meals.

Bengal Lentils and Bombay Potatoes, not sure how close to authentic they are.

Right now I'm eating mostly raw food.

But I'm sure when it's snowing here this winter, and all the fruit is green, I'll most likely be eating a little cooked food.

I made some banana bread with sprouted wheat berries.

A little gourmet raw, not true raw.

The bread was good, I think I used just a bit too much cinnaman.

The size is about 8 x 8 inches.

http://www.huetheronline.org/vbb/bananabread1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just sprouted some chickpeas for the 1st time and they worked! I am just waiting for someone to post a tasty hummus recipe. Does anyone ever make a salad with their sprouted lentils? Kind of like a bean salad but replace them with the lentils?