Social activities...

Ok, I just spent a week in Toronto visiting friends and family, some I haven't seen in years. I've been vegan for over a year and they've finally accepted it. Even my Argentinian brother-in-law made me veggie hot dogs instead of his usual steak. Going vegan was difficult enough for them to grasp, going raw almost impossible. Everyone I visited either invited me out to a restaurant or cooked food for me in order to welcome me. Cooking food is so ingrained in social receptions. Needless to say, I failed miserably and caved into temptation, mostly not to be rude. Much to my regret. I gained 8 pounds in a week. I had headaches, swollen legs and ankles, and constipation from all the salt and shit that was in the food. I am more and more convinced that the condiments used to make cooked food palatable are true health hazards.

How do I handle these situations in the future?

Maybe bring some of your own food

Say "no thanks" - it's not rude to refuse. Tell them you have allergies or that you react poorly to these foods (it's true.)

They're the rude ones if they FORCE you to eat stuff or get upset if you choose not to.

Take the bull by the horns! Do the research about where to dine out in cities that you're visiting and invite them out for dinner before they have the chance to invite you. There is a wicked raw restaurant in Toronto called 'Live', next time drag your friends there.

I totally agree with ljk11 - they are the ones being rude if they force you into eating anything.

• 2 weeks later...

it might be as simple as making a few phone calls before you go visit friends or family. make sure that they know what you're up to and how important it is to you. you could send a few recipes beforehand, so they know what to expect and if they really want to welcome you with food, they could try just serving up some grapes and nectarines!

one of the ways my mom expresses her love for my family is to bake treats for us. my sister was vegan as well, at one point. my brother follows the blood type diet, and i am constantly transitioning! the last time i visited, she excitedly showed me all of the fruit that she had purchased and picked from the yard

i'm sure they are just trying to take care of you, the best they know how. if you let them know what you believe in and give them some ideas of what you eat, they'll probably do their best to feed you things that you can enjoy! good luck!

Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions.

Suz- thanks for the lead. I'll definitely look up that restaurant the next time I'm in TO.

LjK-you're right. I have to be more assertive and sure of my convictions in order to resist and say no and they must respect my choices.

Rebecca- good advice. I love your signature btw.

Ciao