to prevent night-time catabolism

Bockman

Hello folks.

I'm new here, and relativly new to the vegetarian lifestyle. Currently I'm eating lacto-veganic, but I'm planning on becoming vegan.

Actually, I've only eaten lacto-veganic for two days and I feel better

So my question; I try to bulk up (lean bulk, that is) - and in the other forums there are a widthspread fear of night-time catabolism.

Usually people are adviced to eat protein-rich meals before they sleep, to prevent a catabolic period during night..

Is there any truth to this? And how do you solve it in a vegan way? Other than that, I'm looking forward to experience this new lifestyle.

I hope it will do me well...

Ok... the protein powder I use is whey (... well, that's all I have). Soy protein is quite expensive, and pea and hemp protein is literally unheard of here in Norway. So I'll stick with kesam and nuts until I can afford other alternatives.

Ok... the protein powder I use is whey (... well, that's all I have). Soy protein is quite expensive, and pea and hemp protein is literally unheard of here in Norway. So I'll stick with kesam and nuts until I can afford other alternatives.

Oats and peanuts are really slow releasing, a bowl of oatmeal or porridge (spelling?) with some Peanut butter would solve your problem.

There is definately truth to this. Sleeping is the longest period of time a bodybuilder will be without a supply of nutrients. You are basically fasting for 8+ hours. So I drink a shake right before bed. Here's a shake idea:

700 ml soymilk

1 banana

Flax oil

Chocolate Vega, hemp protein, pea protein, etc (NOT soy)

1-2 handfuls of oats

Any kind of vegan sweetener to taste. Sometimes I add chocolate soy ice cream, vanilla extract, whatever.

This has enough protein, carbos, fat, and calories to prevent me from wasting away during the night hours, and keeps me satisfied until breakfast.

Its kinda a pain in the butt but you can wake up in the middle of the night to eat. I only sleep for 4hrs or so...so it doesn't matter for me but I know people who sleep for shorter periods to eat...some wake up in the middle of the night...some sleep for 4-5 hours knowing they have time for naps during the day.

Well, recovering from exhaustion, I sleep 10-12 hours. and I've been thinking about night-time catabolism. It doesn't sound right, 'cause you'll always have stored energy in your liver. So your body won't start "eating" itself.

oats before bed?

banana before bed?

From eating oats before bed you will gain fat.

From eating a banana before bed you will raise your GI very very quickly and that is not what you need at that moment.

I would recommend soy, tofu or seitan with some vegetables before going to sleep.

oats before bed?

banana before bed?

From eating oats before bed you will gain fat.

From eating a banana before bed you will raise your GI very very quickly and that is not what you need at that moment.

I would recommend soy, tofu or seitan with some vegetables before going to sleep.

I don't know how true it is that eating bananas and oats before bed will make you fat. I used to eat oatmeal with PB every night before bed and a lot of people who were at VV will testify that I don't have much fat on me at all.

Well, recovering from exhaustion, I sleep 10-12 hours. and I've been thinking about night-time catabolism. It doesn't sound right, 'cause you'll always have stored energy in your liver. So your body won't start "eating" itself.

This is not really true. Sure, you won't wake up and notice 2 inches off of your biceps, but when you are sleeping you are fasting for up to half a day in your case. So it's a good idea to get nutrients before you sleep to make this as harmless as possible. High protein, moderate fat, low carb things seem to work the best for me before bed.