First day on official Vegan diet. How am I doing?

Mueller

Ok. I'll make a quick introduction. Ever since reading 'Fast Food Nation' several years ago, I've slowly looked at and readjusted my beliefs and eating habits.

First was the elimination of meat and fast food. Then chicken and turkey, ect.

For the past year, I've been on a semi Vegan diet that included wild salmon and free range eggs. For most of the week I will eat totally vegan and these were my only exceptions.

I've decided to focus on eating more fruits and vegetables, eating smaller more frequent meals, working out more and going totally for a few months to see how I feel.

Here is my official day 1 sample diet:

Breakfast

2 organic apples

Natures Path organic instant oatmeal

Lunch:

Veggie Burger( Pita Pit)

Organic Apple

Snack: Instant Oatmeal

Dinner

Ezekiel live grain tortilla(inside organic tofu/soybeans/smalll amount

corn/sea salt ) half a kale leaf broken up

Smoothie:half an acai pack, 1 organic banana,, handful frozen organic

blueberries, 1.5 kale leafs, organic lemonade to give liquid

Latenight snack: Half a serving of Edamame and 1 cucumber roll.

I feel somewhat lighter and more alter today. Thoughts, advice, pats on the back?

Mull

Welcome Mueller.

you'll see that going vegan is the best gift you could make to yourself.

i'd recomment you to try moving into a more fruity-veggie, raw diet and less processed food diet. quitting carbonated drinks and refined white sugar along with refined white rice and bread would also give you an extra boost healthwise. you can eat brown, wild rice and whole bread istead. and raw cane unrefined sugar in place of the white crystallic... try it step by step and you'll see a huge difference

Welcome Mueller.

you'll see that going vegan is the best gift you could make to yourself.

i'd recomment you to try moving into a more fruity-veggie, raw diet and less processed food diet. quitting carbonated drinks and refined white sugar along with refined white rice and bread would also give you an extra boost healthwise. you can eat brown, wild rice and whole bread istead. and raw cane unrefined sugar in place of the white crystallic... try it step by step and you'll see a huge difference

You're giving out the wrong information. Most breads you buy aren't vegan unless it's sprouted bread. Also you mention he should go on a raw diet. Bread, sugars, and rice aren't raw..

Sub stevia or fruit to sweetend your blended or hot drinks.

Mueller, great job so far. Just take it slow. !

OH one more note... Robert makes us introduce ourselves. Which is the first topic

hey Tasha. Maybe i didn't make myself clear. i didn't suggest a 100% raw vegan diet as this would be rough for a person making their first steps. It's even hard for me who am a 4 year vegan. I only said that it would be good to move into a more raw diet with less refined food. that's all.

by the way why whole breads aren't vegan? i had no idea. Do they contain any milk or cheese

hey Tasha. Maybe i didn't make myself clear. i didn't suggest a 100% raw vegan diet as this would be rough for a person making their first steps. It's even hard for me who am a 4 year vegan. I only said that it would be good to move into a more raw diet with less refined food. that's all.

by the way why whole breads aren't vegan? i had no idea. Do they contain any milk or cheese

It could be different in greece, but here they usually contain one of two ingredients that aren't vegan, in a lot of cases.

yes they do.. Also most breads don't list all the ingredents that contains animal products.. such as animal fat, feathers, animal hair, some flours. and honey. Some proceses foods contain rennet, gelatine, shellac, formic acid, and cochined. I would stick to things that have a

V on the package or something that says 100% Vegan on it. Also I woudln't trust something that I can't pronouce on the lable.

Breads (at least in Sweden) are vegan 98% of the time. I would think it's the same in Greece.

Yes, offense. i think bread in my country is more or less like yours. the only unhealthy ingredients but still vegan are salt and refined sugar. When there are non vegan ingredients, the bread is called cheese-bread or something

p.s. by the way the most delicious vegan whole bread is made by my vegan mother (non hydrogenated fats, no sugar, with olive oil!)

Mueller,

Congrats on your decision! Your first day looked great. If you would like more nutrional information, I STRONGLY suggest you purchase a copy of "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis, R.D. & Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D. These two women are vegetarian dietitians and they've written a very thorough book, free of commercial or pseudo-science bias. Pay special attention to the sections on omega fatty acids and Vit B12. Be careful of advice you get on forums and the internet - it's difficult to check credentials and there's a lot of nutritional confusion out there.

Transitioning to veganism is much easier when you arm yourself with lots of accurate information. You, animals and the planet will be better off for your efforts.