Need some expert help - Soy and Phytoestrogens

Many non-vegetarian/non-vegan bodybuilders bash soy protein because they say the phytoestrogens decrease testosterone and increase estrogen. Is this true? Soy is probably my main source of protein and I'd hate to limit my consumption of it to get bigger. I've seen some results in the last month, and some of my friends say the same, but is soy slowing my growth down?

I personally believe that soy is amazing and that it can't be bad, but I'm only 16 and have no knowledge in this field. I see dudes like Robert Cheeke and Alexander Dargatz and I think "No, soy must be great," but I've never been one to close my mind to disappointing information.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Gerard

Edited by GRardB

The amount of phytoestrogens in soy are very very small. Someone else might be able to give you exact numbers. Personally, I eat 1 or 2 pounds of tofu or similar products each week, as well as drinking a couple litres of soymilk, and I never worry about consuming too much.

They are completely harmless...just look at the most populous nation on the planet...big soy eaters. If they had a bunch of men turning into women they wouldn't have so many children. Also so many people have been eating tons of soy and I've never actually seen a person from one of these stupid studies that actually suffers from high estrogen.

Robert barely eats soy though, and I know Mr. Dargatz probably eats a very varied diet also. If you fear eating lots and lots of soy, go for rice, pea or hemp protein. I've seen pea protein with 25 - 30 grams a serving, and there are plenty of smoothie threads to help out with other ideas to get your protein elsewhere. (One that I remember is soymilk, 2 bananas, some peanut butter, (protein powder), some berries (optional), and a handful of rolled oats) That smoothie could give you a varied source of protein, and you could go from there.

I could be wrong, but I think Robert ate a lot of soy when he first started putting on mass.

Like any food group worth billions of dollars per year (and soy is BIG business) there will always be various opposition groups. Some of the bad rap soy gets has come from smoke screen "consumer" or "scientific" groups.

I would worry much more about the hormones I could ingest from today's meat, dairy and fish instead of the weak plant phytoestrogens in soy. Even the omni's in this country eat a lot of soy since it's added to so many processed foods, energy bars and supplements. At this point I would say it's a personal choice how much soy you consume, but variety in any diet is a good thing.

Based on what I know, I would suggest doing about 1-2 servings of soy products per day.

Unfortunately, soy is found in many different products (isolated, oil, etc). It can be difficult to avoid.

If you mix in other legumes, nuts, seeds, grains, and veggies - you should be good to go.

I could be wrong, but I think Robert ate a lot of soy when he first started putting on mass.

Like any food group worth billions of dollars per year (and soy is BIG business) there will always be various opposition groups. Some of the bad rap soy gets has come from smoke screen "consumer" or "scientific" groups.

I would worry much more about the hormones I could ingest from today's meat, dairy and fish instead of the weak plant phytoestrogens in soy. Even the omni's in this country eat a lot of soy since it's added to so many processed foods, energy bars and supplements. At this point I would say it's a personal choice how much soy you consume, but variety in any diet is a good thing.

No, you're correct, but he eats more whole foods now, saying on VV as he was cooking a soy dog that "He barely eats these anymore."

There's nothing wrong with eating some soy. It's my personal paranoid belief that the dairy industry is trying to over-emphasize and misrepresent the whole phytoestrogen thing because they perceive a threat to their bottom line. However, like a few others have said, it's a good idea to diversify. Hemp protein is probably the very best source of protein out there, so maybe limit your soy intake to actual foods, and if you supplement or use a protein shake make it hemp. Hemp protein + chocolate almond milk = yum, I'm told.

When I was bigger I ate way more soy. I've stopped eating it for the most part and have lost some weight and am leaner. I just had enough of the stuff, however I just ate 1/2 lb of tofu. Thats a first in about a month. All that phytoestrogen stuff I dont buy it. If it really worries you just work out legs more to help produce testosterone, eat more nuts and seeds. I hear sex will increase T output as well.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm happy to see dudes with pictures of them and their muscles as proof that soy doesn't turn you into a woman lmao.

As for hemp protein, does anybody have any recommendations? I take whey (I'm not a vegan) and I like it, but from what I've read, hemp is definitely better and I'm all for taking a plant protein rather than from any kind of animal source. Do they sell hemp protein at Whole Foods Market? That's where I usually shop for my vegetarian stuff, but I order my whey online, so it's not big deal if I need to order hemp.

Another question about hemp...I drink my whey protein shake after my workouts and they're about 50g of protein per shake, which I think is important because after a workout, from what I've read, is when your body absorbs nutrients the most. Would something like a 5LB tub of hemp protein last me a month if I'm making 50g protein shakes 6 days a week like my whey protein does?

Thanks,

Gerard

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm happy to see dudes with pictures of them and their muscles as proof that soy doesn't turn you into a woman lmao.

As for hemp protein, does anybody have any recommendations? I take whey (I'm not a vegan) and I like it, but from what I've read, hemp is definitely better and I'm all for taking a plant protein rather than from any kind of animal source. Do they sell hemp protein at Whole Foods Market? That's where I usually shop for my vegetarian stuff, but I order my whey online, so it's not big deal if I need to order hemp.

Another question about hemp...I drink my whey protein shake after my workouts and they're about 50g of protein per shake, which I think is important because after a workout, from what I've read, is when your body absorbs nutrients the most. Would something like a 5LB tub of hemp protein last me a month if I'm making 50g protein shakes 6 days a week like my whey protein does?

Thanks,

Gerard

Not at all, hemp has far less protein in it than whey. That being said, I did enjoy it.

Its hard to say...going by weight hemp is likely pretty close to whey but hemp just isn't as dense. As for filling up on protein right after working out I suggest going for simple carbs first. Sure your body wants protein but it just can't take it. After your body is tired out it doesn't want the stress of breaking down the hardest thing it can digest(protein). I used to load up on protein right away after a workout and as soon as I learned about filling up on carbs I tried it and never turned back...it makes recovery so much better. Give it a break and sweeten things up. Take the protein 90-120minutes later.

hormones are inactive in there

They are?

yes, as far as I know, isolated soy protein is "harmless"

I thought it still contained the isoflavones? You'd think isolate would be just the protein, but I'm not sure that it is.

I checked it- In soy protein isolate they are inactive.

But thats only what German Websites say, strangely not English websites.

Can you give a link to one of the German sites? I'd like to see that.

Of course

http://www.bodybuilding-abc.de/proteine.php

Just read in the term " Soja Protein".

First they talk about concentrate, which has high amounts of estrogens,

then about Isolate. ( i summerized it wrong, they arent inactive, there are just very very few)