Where will you shop this season?

robert

As much as many of us would like to ignore the fact that Christmas is upon us, it is, and many of us will participate in shopping.

Where will you shop?

I will encourage you to shop locally to keep money in your own local community and economy, and to shop from ALL VEGAN stores like www.veganessentials.com, www.foodfightgrocery.com, and www.herbivoreclothing.com to support the stores who are in line with our own mission.

Please remember that "most" items, anywhere, are made from sweatshop labor in 3rd world countries. It's a good reason to avoid a lot of big box corporations like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and other chain stores.

I know some of you probably work at some of those stores or shop there all the time, but I'd encourage you to shop local this year, shop VEGAN this year, and in general....."spend half as much and GIVE twice as much" which is what Rev. Billy says.

Of course you don't have to agree with me. I just wanted to give my opinion and some suggestions.

Please list some great vegan stores/companies that you think are worth supporting this year.

Here are some:

www.veganessentials.com

www.foodfightgrocery.com

www.herbivoreclothing.com

www.veganbodybuilding.com

www.downbound.com

viewtopic.php?t=8723

Don't give them any ideas! They have hundreds of pairs of shoes and 1200 other products to worry about, and I'm sure they are flying out of the warehouse this time of year.

But maybe your items are out there at some vegan store.....or locally owned store

cooking may be pretty good, i have not tried that. I used to buy vegan candles from a vegan out of Ft. Worth TX who strangely enough is the daughter of some friends of my parents...Last time I talked to her she had a cyst and was pretty much out of commission making candles. I hope she's doing that again. If anyone wants to try to order some I can put you in touch with her.

I'm not shopping anywhere, if I can help it.

Most of the few gifts I intend to give will likely come from my kitchen, in the form of cookies and stuff... or possibly from my knitting basket, if I get the urge to do that.

That's the spirit. All gifts should be made from the heart

I heard Michelle makes killer brownies

I'm not shopping anywhere, if I can help it.

Most of the few gifts I intend to give will likely come from my kitchen, in the form of cookies and stuff... or possibly from my knitting basket, if I get the urge to do that.

That's the spirit. All gifts should be made from the heart

I heard Michelle makes killer brownies

We made chocolate free brownies too (for someone who doesn't eat chocolate, I think his name is like Oh-no-nintendo-tone-def or something).

Is anyone having a "Buy Nothing Day" ?

I'm all about supporting vegan business and local good-practice businesses as far as shopping this time of year, and I have been supporting those types of businesses. But I'm also about shopping less and I'm going to have a couple of my own "Buy Nothing" days.

Anyone want to join me and help train ourselves to cut down on our consumer spending so that we at least know we're capable of going a day or two without buying anything at all.

Who's in?

Is anyone having a "Buy Nothing Day" ?

I'm all about supporting vegan business and local good-practice businesses as far as shopping this time of year, and I have been supporting those types of businesses. But I'm also about shopping less and I'm going to have a couple of my own "Buy Nothing" days.

Anyone want to join me and help train ourselves to cut down on our consumer spending so that we at least know we're capable of going a day or two without buying anything at all.

Who's in?

Can buying food from a Farmer's outlet/market type deal be an exception? I don't want to support mega-corporations, but I do get hungry. :-/

Do what you gotta do

Yeah, the main thing is taking a day or two and deciding not to support big corporations and simply buy nothing...part of it is just to prove to ourselves that we can do that.

We do that quite a bit. I drive so little that I spend 30$ on gas every 3 weeks, which I'm looking to cut down on even further, so my efforts seem futile with everyone's monster gas guzzlers on the road. :-/

I hate shopping! But I went to Herbivore and Food Fight today. I have these silly "holiday" parties for work and volunteer organizations I'm part of.

They are actually quite fun.........there are some things I like about the Holiday Season.

I once went into a shop in my ninja costume and bought some sweets. The attendant called the manager in straight away and she told me to take off my mask because it's apparently illegal, since they need my face on the CCTV footage. I ignored her and bought the sweets and then left. It was awesome!

We stopped buying stuff just for the sake of gift-giving a few years ago. However, I usually put together gift bags filled with items from the farmers' market, local shops and vegan shops for the holidays.

The first year we didn't give wrapped gifts to the stepchildren (who are in their 20s) they were a bit angry. Instead, we asked them to start an IRA and we gave them each a set amount to fund it. We thought this was a tremendous gift and I wish someone had done that for me in my early 20s. But years of consumerism are hard to overcome for some people.

My sister makes awesome plant-based soap and moisturizers each year for christmas. It is my favorite gift and I wish more people would give handmade items as gifts.