Vegan Football Player

Yeah, cool! I saw this. I gave the reporter the info about The China Study and Mac Danzig and Brendan gave him the info about Tony Gonzalez and Jon Hinds.

I think Tony Gonzalez is a great person to spotlight for this subject because of who his audience is. (10s of millions of non vegan NFL fans).

This guy is an omnivore...I'd mush rather look at Desmond Howard...he was a better football player and at least a vegetarian...and lets not forget Joe Namath.

I wouldn't say he wants to be vegan...if he wanted to be vegan he would be...he's an adult that has millions of dollars that can do whatever he wants to do. He tried being vegan...it wasn't enough for him and he reverted back. I have no problem with him though because he doesn't claim to be a vegan and is likely eating a smaller percentage of meat than most people...although he probably has to eat a lot in general and eats more meat than a regular Joe does. So really he WAS headed in the right direction...then took a few steps back.

If you're a football player at that level you probably have an ego bigger than Everest. He has to be confident, it's part of his job. Thus he doesn't need to be in any club that others might want him in, he doesn't give a rats ass if someone want to call him a vegan or not. He just does what he seems the most fitting with his career. To be honest, I don't care either. Any meal without animal products and unprocessed, sustainable food is a good meal.

As I said before, I'm leaving veganism to the teenage revolters. I'm more about fixing shit.

This guy is an omnivore...I'd mush rather look at Desmond Howard...he was a better football player and at least a vegetarian...and lets not forget Joe Namath.

WTF dude...are you serious? Desmond Howard is one of the biggest busts in the recent history of the NFL. Just look at his career stats:

123 rec, 1597 yds, 7 tds IN 12 SEASONS.

One fluke SB performance doesn't make up for the fact that he had a TERRIBLE NFL career.

Compare that with Tony G's stats:

820 rec, 9882 yds, 73 tds...

...and some of his records and accolades:

*9-time Pro-Bowler

*7-time All-Pro

*Single-season TE receptions leader (102 in 2004, 21 shy of Desmond's career total)

*All-time leader in receptions, receiving TDs, and 1,000-yard receiving seasons by a TE

*Chiefs' all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs, yards from scrimmage and consecutive games with a reception (115)...

...and it's apparent that Howard should never be mentioned in the same breath as Gonzalez, let alone be considered a better football player.

I always wondered what happened to DH. I knew he was great in college but hadn't heard much about him after that.

Did he get injured or something?

I hope to get to meet Tony sometime. He seems really interested in changing his diet up a lot to more of plant-based diet and perhaps and complete plant-based diet soon.

I always wondered what happened to DH. I knew he was great in college but hadn't heard much about him after that.

Did he get injured or something?

I hope to get to meet Tony sometime. He seems really interested in changing his diet up a lot to more of plant-based diet and perhaps and complete plant-based diet soon.

Howard got drafted 4th overall by the Skins in '92. He never lived up to his high draft stock as a WR and ended up becoming a journeyman.

To rescind some of my harshness in my last post, he was a very good KR/PR throughout his whole career--he racked up 10,000+ return yards and he won the '97 SB MVP for his 99-yarder that iced the game--but when you're drafted 4th overall as a WR, people expect you to become a franchise #1 target, not a special teams star. So he wasn't a "bust" in terms of not being a productive player in some capacity, just that he couldn't live up to the lofty expectations generated by his Heisman and high draft pick.

And you'll love to meet Tony G. Chiefs players in general tend to be quite approachable; we see them around town so often it's almost not too big a deal (Neil Smith helped my sis load her Christmas gifts into the car at Wal-Mart).