Debate with breeders on blog

xbillyx

I dont know any breeders, my only exposure has been to the HBO movie Dealing Dogs. very interesting movie. I'd think though that if someone hoped to sell a dog, they'd take care of it.

Many breeders operate like factory farms now. Research puppy mills. Check out http://www.stoppuppymills.org.

However, that's not really the main issue. The main issue is that there are people breeding more dogs and cats when 3-4 million are dying on our shelters each year. It's ing. Why not take care of the ones we have right now? It's a perfect example of humanity's selfishness.

I won't have time to get into the debate on your blog today but I completely disagree with any type of animal breeding. I have a "rescue" Blue and Gold Macaw that will probably live another 70 to 90 years. We are his 3rd family at least. Even these amazing creatures are killed in animal shelters each year. However, most of them remain alive in unnatural surroundings with no chance of flying or mating. And get passed from home to home when their "owners" realize that they aren't like dogs or cats. I'm sure if some breeder figured out a way to make them more domesticated then even more people would purchase them. And of course the breeders will tell you that if you buy a baby bird then you can train it to be just the way you want it. And that's a bunch of BS.

Billy -- I was trying to scrape my brain for every last little tidbit of information and *HA! GOT YA* material, but I can't. You've done a pretty good job shooting the breeders arguments down.

And I really hate that "God gave us dominion" argument. Who's God? Your God? My God? Vishnu? Mars? Heracles?

Good work dude.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate breeders. I've always hated breeders. When I worked in a Veterinary clinic I hated when breeders came in and dictated to me what was wrong with their pets and what they needed.. Or people would come in and say "oh my breeder says I need this". Well, your breeder didn't go to college and get a degree did she?? Moron. The worst was when we spayed a breeding bitch and her uterus was such a mess from being overbred that it was falling into pieces. It took an hour to do a 10 minute procedure because we had to stop the bleeding.

I wish we coulda brought the owner in and show him what he had done to his dog.

My dad used to work at the vet when he was a kid and when we moved to our first house when I was in high school he said the only way we were getting a dog was if we adopted it from a shelter. We even went to one place that was supposedly an adoption place but just turned out to be another puppy farm.

There's a huge puppy store by my house that I've considered picketing or trying to get shut down. It's really sick and fucked up. Some breeders are good ethical people. Problem is most people don't care or don't realize that the majority of them are just in it for the money and don't care about the dogs at all.

Even those who care for the dogs whilst breeding them should not be doing it, since there are too many dogs to be looked after in existance. It's like deliberately having a kid to put it up for adoption, it's totally irresponsible.

Even those who care for the dogs whilst breeding them should not be doing it, since there are too many dogs to be looked after in existance. It's like deliberately having a kid to put it up for adoption, it's totally irresponsible.

I know and totally agree with you philosophically. Realistically though it's going to take some time before these people find another job that is just as lucrative AND ethically sane enough to drive them away from breeding. I feel sorry because it's their passion and living. Now the bad breeders I really wouldn't feel terrible at all if they all lost their jobs tomorrow.

I still certainly would not get a dog from any breeder, ethical or not. It's even more like having children to sell into slavery. Not to mention the people who are buying this designer bred dogs are rich bastards(For the most part) who get the dogs purely for social imagery. You know, minivan, SUV, sports car, 4 car garage, 4k foot house, white picket fence, 2 kids, 5 bedroom home, and a 4k dollar dog that probably will end up having tons of genetic disease because of over breeding.

I've been in a very anti-capitalist mood lately in case you couldn't tell.

Yeah a lot of people get dogs for their image. Not just rich people either. Some people are just really picky. They want a certain dog that looks and behaves a certain way.

My uncle adopted a dog that was wandering around the streets homeless and took him in. He had that dog for 17 years and he was the most loved, awesome dog ever. That's the kind of dog I want. One that needs a good loving home.

There are so many poor people in cities that can't afford anything but really expensive clothes, expensive cars and designer pitbulls...no money for food, or a decent place. It bugs the hell out of me.