vegetarian with vegan stars in his eyes

corbomite

Whats up. I've been on the forum for a little while and have been a bit too embarrassed to post because I'm still lacto-ovo. I became a vegetarian a few months ago and have put on about 5-10 pounds of muscle since(a much faster pace than the 4 years of weight lifting with meat). Anyways, I live in a small town without a lot of options. I'd say I'm 90% vegan(which is like saying I only cause mass animal suffering with 10% of my life). I cook 90% of my meals and I only buy vegan groceries, but when I eat out with my family or friends I usually have a little bit of cheese and most of my stuff is cooked with butter I'm sure.

The hope is to become vegan when I leave for pharmacy school in August. I really won't feel good until I'm completely vegan. Most of the pharmaceutical industries advancements come from animal testing so I feel like being completely vegan would at least balance that out a little bit. Not to mention the fact that in four years I will be in the United States second most trusted profession; people really listen to their pharmacists and a vegan pharmacist might convince people vegan is healthy.

I know this is vegan bodybuilding and I'm not technically a vegan but I'm hoping reading about other motivated vegans will help me be less of a wuss in social situations and eat how I want to.

Welcome to the forum!

but when I eat out with my family or friends I usually have a little bit of cheese and most of my stuff is cooked with butter I'm sure.

Some would disagree, but I consider these two slightly different things. If you're having trouble transitioning because of this, break it up. Don't order anything which cheese, ask for the cheese to be not included, etc. but don't kill yourself over the incidental butter and "cross contamination" stuff until you're more comfortable. Consider it microloading.

Welcome to the forum

No sense in not feeling good about yourself for how you eat. A bit of cheese isn't worth the guilt of causing so much suffering.

Welcome. Not to worry my friend. You'd be surprised how many people go back and forth with their commitments to going vegetarian, vegan or raw for months or even years.

That is what the use of word "Transition" is for. You are transition dieting. I bet it is safe to say that more people transition to their goal in dietary behavior than just becoming what they want cold turkey.

Keep motivated and stay focused with your eyes on the prize. If you want it bad enough, it will become yours.......

Welcome. Not to worry my friend. You'd be surprised how many people go back and forth with their commitments to going vegetarian, vegan or raw for months or even years.

That is what the use of word "Transition" is for. You are transition dieting. I bet it is safe to say that more people transition to their goal in dietary behavior than just becoming what they want cold turkey.

Keep motivated and stay focused with your eyes on the prize. If you want it bad enough, it will become yours.......

First off, I want to say thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Lean and Green, you're right, veganism is going to have to be a slow transition. Becoming lacto-ovo was super easy and needed no transition, but veganism will probably be different. My family has been so badass about the whole situation. They had a super bowl party tonight thats menu included vegetable pizza, zucchini lasagna, pomegranate juice, and a very very small plate of chicken wings(which most of my family didn't even eat). They are a family made up of cooks and they are really digging the lacto-ovo thing, it might take a little longer to get them into the vegan thing.

I'm thinking of taking baby steps, like I only have a few scoops of whey left and after that all vegan protein powders, I already don't buy cheese or dairy groceries so that cuts out all of my non-vegan food at home.

I have a lot of time to make up for. In my 22 years I ate a ton of meat. Good thing I don't believe in karma, I'd probably have to spend the next few years volunteering at an animal shelter or something to make up for it.

I think you are doing great! I've been on a path that lead me to veganism, where I am the happiest and healthiest ever, but it has taken me many years of transitioning. I am proud of you! When one contemplates the whole issue of our planet and what is best for all species who reside here, veganism makes a whole lot of sense. You are well on your way!

Welcome, Corbomite, to the forum! Nice to have you aboard!!

With Deepest Bows,

jonzen

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!

I am only recently a full vegan and took my time transitioning, doing the same as you, just not being that strict when out to dinner. It is difficult in restaurants especially because people can easily lie. "Is there butter in this?" "No", but they actually don't really know or care.. I mean unless you go right into the kitchen and watch them cook it how will you really know what's in it? Since so many people think veganism is just a case of being 'fussy' they don't feel compelled to tell you the truth. So I think just do your best to exclude things but if a little ends up in your food accidentally....

I live in Taiwan at the moment and going out to dinner is really a challenge, firstly we don't speak the language, and secondly no one here seems to have the least knowledge of or sympathy for veganism, in spite of buddhism being a major religion. We have been blatantly lied to on a couple of occasions, people thinking we're just foreigners full of shit, only to find out later that the food we were told didn't contain eggs or dairy, actually did. So now we have a very small selection of vegetarian restaurants that we know and trust and only go to those and even then we are careful about what we order (since even vegetarian restaurants use dairy and eggs in some dishes) and just hope like hell there is nothing ending up in there that we wouldn't want to end up there.

Anyway welcome and good luck in your transition!

Alison

Wow, I bet Taiwan is difficult. However, in a small town in Alabama it is hard as well. I went to a restaurant/bar my fiance used to work at for her birthday and she told me that there was absolutely nothing on the menu not fried in bacon or some type of animal fat. She even said they put eggs in the salad before making them individually. So I feel your pain.