My dad's on Atkins.

It's messed up. I know he has complications and last time he went to see the doctor they gave him cholesterol lowering drugs that he is not taking since he found a Swedish doctor (Annika Dahlqvist) that is stating that high LDL cholesterol is good when get older. It's "repairing little leisures in the blood vessels" as he put it. Apparently by by clogging them up.

He also told me he had a bypass (or at least that's how I understood it since he didn't seem to know what they did) a few years ago (they took a piece of a vessel from his thigh).

He is describing what I recommend as a fad. He tells me that "in 5 years they will say things that contradict the things they say today". With all the crap information and money involved I understand that people get confused. It worries me that Atkins now has a sympathetic face in Sweden. The GI method has been really big here (it's more or less taken as an unquestionable truth here) and that's bad enough. This is just insane.

Here are her dietary recommendations.

just remember the body cannot use the omega-3 from vegetable oils
The risk is that the fructose will be converted to fat, and stored up in the fat issue.

WTF???

I feel your pain.

A few years ago my father's second wife had major heart surgery to save her life. She is one of those people who can do all of the lifestyle recommendations and still need cholesterol lowering drugs. Despite all of this and being educated ( retired English teacher ) she went on the South Beach diet once she recovered to get her weight down and still eats a modified version of it. Her reasoning is that she needed to lose a lot of weight for her health, she tried low fat diets, she felt hungry, couldn't stick to those diets, but could stick to a low carb diet.

She is an otherwise intelligent and nice person who is always respectful of me so it was very difficult to not tell her what a dumb ass she was being.

There is hope.

My dad was in a very similar situation to yours. He followed the Atkins diet for a long time and believed every bit of it as gospel truth. Then I gave him The China Study to read and he was convinced by the hard science and switched to veganism almost overnight. I was pleasantly surprised by the rapid turnaround in his thinking - I hadn't anticipated it.

He has since recommended the book to others and one skeptical scientist friend of his also switched to veganism, saying that despite his doubts he couldn't fault the science contained in the book.

I'm sorry to hear this Offense.

My mother is killing herself on Atkins, so I know what your are going through.

I gave her Dr Fuhrman's book and a video of him.

She read a couple chapters and decided it was nonsense.

I don't think she even started the video.

In my experience people who can brainwash themselves into doing Atkins aren't open to considering another point of view. However, if you can get them to read alternative viewpoints these things may help:

Carbophobia by Dr. Michael Greger. Chock full of facts about the Atkins Diet along with rebuttals to all of their rebuttals. 50 pages of citations:

http://tinyurl.com/4zlfwa

Dr. Greger has all of the data for that book and more on the web for free;

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/

Before Dr. Dean Ornish used a low fat diet to prove clinically that it could reverse areteriol plaque Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn a cardiac surgeon with impeccable credentials ( no "Dr. Crunchy Alternative") ran his own 20 year study. I think he did it with cardiac patients who were sent home to die. Using his program they are still alive:

http://tinyurl.com/427sha

The China Study also has incredible credentials and is good to give to such people if they are willing to be open minded.

Edited by beforewisdom

i'm sorry to hear this. it's a shame that it's gone this far.

The GI method has been really big here (it's more or less taken as an unquestionable truth here) and that's bad enough.

Not that i would call what i did a "method" but i acctually have great experience following GI tables. I have much more energy, make better gains and for some reason my skin seems to be better.

I am sorry Offense. My mom was on Atkins a few years ago. She has been struggling with her weight since she had kids (I feel kind of guilty, haha) and I am trying to get her to read Eat to Live and such. Good luck with convincing your father.

I can't believe that woman is a doctor.

What brand of cereal did she get her PHD out of?

What an idiot.

Yeah, processed meat and dairy is great for you!!!

That's why vegans are so morbidly obese and dying of heart attacks all the time

Not that i would call what i did a "method" but i acctually have great experience following GI tables. I have much more energy, make better gains and for some reason my skin seems to be better.

A whole food plant (based) diet is low GI. I've had fat people ask me how I can have my blood sugar in check and not get cravings when I don't eat 100 times a day and eat fruit. Also, to get the GI down, people are drenching their food in oils and adding more meat. People still don't like veggies so eating them is basically out of the question. Especially the green varieties. Root vegetables is also avoided (like raw carrots and beets) since it raises the GI. I would loooove to see the studies where the conclusion is that beets, carrots and sweet potatoes is unhealthy.

If you already eat a whole food plant diet, lowering the GI is a probably a positive thing since you are substituting things like bread and rice for things like spinach and tomatoes. However, this is not what were talking about in Sweden.

My copy of the China study is loaned out right now so I'll have to wait 'til I get it back. I have a dozen other books and a heap of information about diet but since I'm not a doctor it's a very hard sell. This woman doctor seems seriously delusional though, but she's a doctor pimping meat and cream so people love to hear what she has to say.

I can't believe that woman is a doctor.

What brand of cereal did she get her PHD out of?

What an idiot.

Yeah, processed meat and dairy is great for you!!!

That's why vegans are so morbidly obese and dying of heart attacks all the time

Well put.

There are obese vegans. I've been one myself and got that way on vegan food. I just ate a lot. I know many obviously fat vegans in my local community. If you go to an AR or Veg*n convention you will see some large people too, not as much as a trip to a big box store but they are there.

Though statistically you are right. There are fewer heavy people among vegans.

A whole food plant (based) diet is low GI. I've had fat people ask me how I can have my blood sugar in check and not get cravings when I don't eat 100 times a day and eat fruit.

Brown rice, millet, and white potatoes are very high GI. However the glycemic load ( the actual amount it raises your blood sugar ) can be lowered on high GI foods by eating them with low GI foods and changing the cooking method.

For example, white flour is one of the highest GI foods out there, but white spagetti has an insanely low GI because of the way the flour is compressed into pasta, making it a slow digesting food.

Other plant foods like barely, black lentils and yellow split peas are so low GI that diabetics seek them out.

In other words some popular GI diets are just an excuse for people to feel good about eating garbage. It is telling them what they want to hear, like the Atkins BS.

This woman doctor seems seriously delusional though, but she's a doctor pimping meat and cream so people love to hear what she has to say.

Maybe she isn't human? maybe she's one of those extra-terrestrials that are among us to slowly invade the planet.