Which Do Your Prefer? Old Forum or New?

Do You Miss The Old Forum Format?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only problem is with the PMs, once that's sorted, the forum will be superior in all ways to the previous forum

I agree......especially from my perspective with less spam, less problems, fewer technical issues, etc.

I understand that the PM issue is frustrating for people because it is part of building a community and building relationships, but once we sort it out, this version will be much better.

I miss the ads because they helped pay for the site (helped me pay the people who run the site, helped contribute to the expenses in advertising the site, etc.). I would also like to see images of our athletes on the front and get logos up there, etc. but those come with time.

I think overall, we're making progress. We're also getting a couple new members a day, rather than a couple new members a week, and overall the community is growing, which is typically a good thing because our support network and our community expands and provides us with numerous benefits.

I put two options on this poll for those like me who are split...

For me, I'm going to select I like the old forum but am growing impatient with the PM issue and I want the old forum back...

maybe I just don't like change...

I some what agree with Veggie Princess. I like the old forum better because it was a lot easier to get around. It's almost like working on a new system and you're use to the older system. At first you don't like it. But I know the new forum will all grow on us eventually. So it's a good thing that we changed it.

The only thing I don't like about the new forum:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new forum seems to operate differently when it comes to "new posts". When I go to the main board index page it shows the "new posts" orange icon for most sub-forums, even if I've recently visited the sub-forum (but may have only looked at a few, not all, new threads). So it seems to be judging "unread posts" as "new posts" rather than checking against when I last visited that thread. The old forum worked in the latter (correct) way.

The only problem is with the PMs, once that's sorted, the forum will be superior in all ways to the previous forum

Another problem is that if I try to post something with special signs such as 1/2 sign or Euro currency it will just show a blank page.

I kinda liked the old layout more and I wish we'll have the ads back soon (VeganEssentials f yeah ) but I like the new features and all... so I think it was a good thing the upgrade was made.

Yeah, we hope to get Vegan Essentials banner up and other banners up soon too. We have great supports from John Robbins who wrote Diet For A New America, to Vegan Essentials to lots of other mainstream authors, companies, etc.

We'll feature some of them soon.

I like the OLD "look" better too, but we're working on this one...we're all super, super busy and having a hard time keeping up. I think the three of us all work like 12 hour days on things, but we're coming along and we appreciate all the feedback and support.

We hope to make some of the changes you suggest, fix the PM issue, work on the layout, get banners back up, add more tools, etc.

Thanks!

With the "blank screen issue" (PMs, postings, etc) being fixed, now we can work on making this even more user friendly and prettier.

So many thanks for all the patience while waiting for that to be fixed and my apologies it took so long.

Yeah now that the pm's are fixed this software ROCKS in comparison. I actually just received my first pm this morning my eyes popped out of my head in joy and excitementr WOOHOO!!!! thanks Syrlinus

I enjoy how when you click on the button thingies, they put the beg and end in for you and give you the insert to write in. The colors are cool. The user control panel is much better.

I used to be upset when looking at the new layout and it would hurt my eyes as Pamela stated but now that i'm used to it, it's much better and I don't notice any difference. I'd probably be upset to see the old layout and see it as primitve

How come the unread messages/topics on my display dont migrate to the top and I have to go through two pages of intermitent unread topics/messages/posts? I used to be able to see all topics that I had not read or read that had new replies I had not read yet at the top of my display. Is there an option that I dont know about?

How come the unread messages/topics on my display dont migrate to the top and I have to go through two pages of intermitent unread topics/messages/posts? I used to be able to see all topics that I had not read or read that had new replies I had not read yet at the top of my display. Is there an option that I dont know about?

As far as I am aware, both this forum and the old forum are arranged the same way - the topics that were most recently replied to are at the top (the topic which has the latest reply goes to the top).

If you want a list of all the recent topics, then you can click on "View active topics" at the top of the forum. That will give you a list of all the latest topics

As far as I am aware, both this forum and the old forum are arranged the same way - the topics that were most recently replied to are at the top (the topic which has the latest reply goes to the top).

If you want a list of all the recent topics, then you can click on "View active topics" at the top of the forum. That will give you a list of all the latest topics

I may be the only one having this problem . It could also be that when leaving the forum in the old version that my browser kill all gold whether I read them or not, and this one I need to manually tell it to. Because topics I have no intention of reading are still gold when I come back Yeah that could be it. If I have to manually tell it to every time I leave then I would prefer the old forum. Well I guess that I will just ignore all the posts that occur after a break in the gold prompts, and be confident that something I was interested is not lurking down the bottom of the page.

Thanks Richard.

Hmm... Well on my computer, the threads are in order of date (last time they were posted in). So there's a bunch with 03 Jul, then some with 02 Jul, then 30 Jun etc. Is that not the case on your computer?

Ok lets look at it this way . In the "general fitness and other sports " section right now, there are about 10 gold "coins" one of them have posts from the 18th of june (boston celtics world champs). even though I visited that section today. These cause the section "coin" to light up when I scan the forum home. now I have to go into that section to make sure that a topic I am interested in , but have not posted in (or else I would know from an email alert) does not have any activity in it.

I the old forum I would have left that sectioin ealier today, and came back to find that the section (general fitness and other sports) would not be lit up at all unless there was a new post since I left this morning.

Now I did use the mark all posts or topics read button when I left the "body building strength" section a while agoi, then came back to the site and found that the gold "coin" was not lit for that section. That is what would happen automatically between visits to the whole fourm, with the old software.

Perhaps there is a feature that I have not activated in my prefernces module?

I may be the only one having this problem . It could also be that when leaving the forum in the old version that my browser kill all gold whether I read them or not, and this one I need to manually tell it to. Because topics I have no intention of reading are still gold when I come back Yeah that could be it. If I have to manually tell it to every time I leave then I would prefer the old forum. Well I guess that I will just ignore all the posts that occur after a break in the gold prompts, and be confident that something I was interested is not lurking down the bottom of the page.

Thanks Richard.

Try logging out and then logging in. Otherwise, if you remain connected all the time and return within a few minutes, it will still show what threads you have manually read and which ones you haven't. To clear out or mark all threads read go to Board Index and then Mark Threads Read (found on the top right of the forum itself).

You can also do this on a per forum basis. Basically, it's manually so you can choose to mark which forums you've been to and perhaps come back to forums later after seeing what threads interest you without them being marked as read yet.