Non-animal protein sources

I found the following in a figure competitor forum. I wanted so badly to respond to this, but I feel I lack the knowledge to respond correctly. Let me know what you think...

Hemp does nothing for muscle building purposes.... nothing.

non-animal protein sources are not as biovailable as animal proteins. basically what this means is that after digestion there is little usable protein left for use. the biological value of most animal proteins ranges from 70-100% while most non-animal sources range from 25-65%.

say you have a serving of beans that has 5 grams of protein, after digestion only 2.5 grams are left. with whey protein 100% of the protein ingested is available for use. this is one of many ways that protein supplement are superior to whole food supplements.

The Biological Value (BV) is a scale of measurement used to determine what percentage of a given nutrient source is utilized by the body. The scale is most frequently applied to protein sources, particularly whey protein. Biological Value is derived from providing a measure intake of protein, then determining the nitrogen uptake versus nitrogen excretion.

The theoretical highest BV of any food source is 100%. In short - BV refers to how well and how quickly your body can actually use the protein you consume.

We can comment on his joke for a day or two and then you can send him this link. I would like that he explains to me what he means by "nothing" when he says : "Hemp does nothing for muscle building purposes.... nothing." . He seems to live by whey and supplements. Swartzenegger or whatever how we spell his name wasn't drinking milk. Whole foods are superior because it's whole and raw. Supplements are inferior because they're just supplements, and their BV is inferior because processed. Vegan proteins with better amino acids profile than animal source: pumpkin seeds, avocados. Hemp is like a thousand times more digestible than meat, or milk (we don't even have enough lactase enzymes to digest milk).

LIE!

Okay, food that is alkaline is better for the body. Hemp protein is HIGHLY digestible. In fact, it's digested so well that it doesn't take a lot of energy to do so. The protein in hemp is more digestible than meat and milk. (It says so right on the back of my bucket of hempseeds nyuk nyuk)

When the body is presented with highly acid forming foods it needs to work harder to restore it's PH, which is more alkaline.

I am basically repeating what I read in Brenden's book, the Thrive Diet, but in my own words.

People who eat nothing but whey supplements after a workout are cheating themselves of vital nutrients, such as the carbs also needed for recovery.

Sophie,

Bioavailability values can be found in many ranges, depending on the source of the information. Even meat can be listed as low as 60% in some studies. If the author of the post didn't give his/her source of information then I would question the validity of the claim (and a bodybuilding magazine is not a good source of this type of info). I would expect that the method of determining bioavailability makes a difference. If some plant proteins have lower bioavailability then it would follow that eating a vegan diet means you may want to eat slightly more protein (10%-20%?) than those eating most of their protein from a highly available animal or plant (soy) source or those eating mostly isolated proteins (plant or animal).

Personally, I've put on 12 lbs of muscle mass in the past year eating plant protein (not hemp, however) by utilizing protein isolates and whole foods. I've stopped using isolates (2 months ago) and continue to add mass on whole foods. There is a lot of misinformation out there and it's not always worth your time to fight it. More power to you if you respond, but be ready for a big debate!

I don't use isolates. I haven't used isolates in a very long time. We all know I have some muscle on me. I'm not a walking talking stick!! I'm a lot stronger than I look too. This little gal curls with 20 pounders!! The same as my boyfriend.. Heeheehee. Maybe if I used isolates I'd have more muscle, but I have an array of stomach problems and need to watch it. The last time I used whey, about a year ago or so.. I got some nasty cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. Not a fun night. I've never tried soy, pea, gemma or rice. I can't find pea or gemma protein anywhere either. I'm happy with my Vega and hemp powders.

• 3 months later...

Ha! I don't know much about that but I DO know that we, that is our bodies, are not designed to eat meat. It takes more than 3 hours for our stomach to digest it and puts a lot of stress to it. That is if you didn't have the BRILLIANT idea to combine the meat/chicken/fish/pork with carbs, which should keep the food in your stomach for more than 5 hours.

For more info about this, in my opinion, very interesting topic you can check out the following link.

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

Ha! I don't know much about that but I DO know that we, that is our bodies, are not designed to eat meat. It takes more than 3 hours for our stomach to digest it and puts a lot of stress to it. That is if you didn't have the BRILLIANT idea to combine the meat/chicken/fish/pork with carbs, which should keep the food in your stomach for more than 5 hours.

For more info about this, in my opinion, very interesting topic you can check out the following link.

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

There are probably so many idiots like that out there.And you may not be able to argue with them because they are closed minded.I am looking forward to being huge & then telling people I did it without meat or whey protein shakes.That will be my proof.

Until then, explain that plant protein is easier digested, healthier, cheaper, more ethical, & just as effective.

Use any of us bukers on here as evidence, I am gaining more weight per week than a friend of mine who is full meat & whey protein shake mad.