Seated military press

Not a big fan of seated since I have to lean back to make it a steep incline press to feel comfortable. Done 185x6 in the past, but I do all my overhead pressing standing now and have done 135x20, 185x8, 225x4 and 250x1. Definitely more comfortable for me that way, even without using any leg drive.

I used to do them standing, but i didn't get as good of shoulder work out. I do alot of incline bench so i want some thing that straight up not like half military half incline. That's bad ass your getting up that kind of weight though.

Not a big fan of seated since I have to lean back to make it a steep incline press to feel comfortable. Done 185x6 in the past, but I do all my overhead pressing standing now and have done 135x20, 185x8, 225x4 and 250x1. Definitely more comfortable for me that way, even without using any leg drive.

I used to do them standing, but i didn't get as good of shoulder work out. I do alot of incline bench so i want some thing that straight up not like half military half incline. That's bad ass your getting up that kind of weight though.

My weights are down a bit these days - I'd probably be good for 235 max single now, but it'll come back up. Overhead pressing tends to be a slow mover for a lot of people - I made great gains for a long time, but it's been slow for a few years. The best way I found to boost it up is to do a lot of push pressing (standing overhead press with some leg drive to get the bar started) and work with weights that you can press out 5-10 reps with what you'd normally only make 1-2 with a strict movement. Push presses aggravate my knee for some reason, so I don't do them often, but they helped me get my strict press from 205 to 230 in just a few months. Overhead pressing incorporates a lot of triceps work for the 2nd half to lockout, so overloading on it is usually a good way to make things move up quickly. Push presses, half-presses or shorter range movements (done in the rack with the bar starting at top of head or higher) and close-grip benching will all be an asset if you want to get your press up.

Best of luck in getting your numbers up for your overhead pressing!

They are my weakest lift. I actually have to do them from now on without leaning back, using a completely straight back against the back of the seat. This is so I don't damage my SI joint further. It definitely hits my shoulders harder this way, but the weight is far lower, something along the lines of 75lbs for 10 reps.

I do much better seated, than I do standing.I won't talk about the weight I use, as it's my weakest exercise for shoulders. I just find that when I do military presses standing I have horrible form, and I have pretty good form on every other exercise that I do. I just can't help but lean back, even if I put one leg behind me. I've struggled with this for a long time, and it doesn't seem to get better, so I'm thinking it may be more of a rom (range of motion) problem than anything else.

I do much better seated, than I do standing.I won't talk about the weight I use, as it's my weakest exercise for shoulders. I just find that when I do military presses standing I have horrible form, and I have pretty good form on every other exercise that I do. I just can't help but lean back, even if I put one leg behind me. I've struggled with this for a long time, and it doesn't seem to get better, so I'm thinking it may be more of a rom (range of motion) problem than anything else.
Or it could be you are using to much weight. Try doing a standing military press with the weight of the bar only and work on your form. Or watch Mark Rippetoes vids on youtube to help learn how to press. Seated presses don't work the stabilizing muscles of your back and will not help improve standing pressing in your case hsorlando.

Or it could be you are using to much weight. Try doing a standing military press with the weight of the bar only and work on your form. Or watch Mark Rippetoes vids on youtube to help learn how to press. Seated presses don't work the stabilizing muscles of your back and will not help improve standing pressing in your case hsorlando.

Also, changing grip width can make a big difference, too. A closer grip (hands just at shoulder width) will recruit more triceps through the entire movement, but a wider grip (hands maybe 4-8" out from each shoulder) will work more in the shoulders at the start and triceps will take over more at the end instead of being the prime mover throughout. Most people tend to grip REALLY close in to shoulder width - my recommendation is, if you find that it isn't going well gripping closely, widen your hands out a few more inches and try that. Do it with really light weights at first - alternate grips and you'll feel how things change on each set as far as what hits your triceps more and what works your shoulders better.

I have rotator problems.. So I'm reluctant to go above 15 pounds. :/

Why are so many people hatin' on OHPing? I love to OHP. I hate bench pressing because it's boring laying on my back pushing weight. Also, bench pressing contracts rotator cuff muscles which could hinder a lifters ability to increase their OHPing strength.

Standing OHP works more muscle groups than benching. You haters need to work on proper form. The only reason I bench is so I don't look like an unbalanced freak with a big back and bird chest.

If you want to really work your shoulders you gotta sit down, that's what I think.
Lifting weights while sitting down doesn't work as many stablizing muscles as as lifting weights standing. What daily activity or sport does anyone do sitting down the entire time?

Yo, I agree, bodybag! OHP is a lot of fun! It's certainly more fun to press something overhead than do the same while lying on the back. OHP ftw!

Danny, oh, it works the shoulders, aight! Shoulders are my fastest growing bodypart, even though I do only one direct exercise for 'em - OHP. But they get loads of additional stress from weighted Dips, Flat/Incline Bench, etc., etc. Imho, the important thing is to go as heavy as you can and induce as much mycrotrauma as you can. And it doesn't matter how much sets/reps you're doing as long as it gets the job done. Then again - I'm not a BBer, so how would I know...

OHP is the only exercise I do for my shoulders and it works the triceps as well. Fuck lateral raises! I'm more impressed by Vasily Alexeev pressing over 500lbs or Hossein Rezazadeh jerking almost 600lbs over his head then Ryan Kennelly pressing almost 1100lbs while laying on his back, wearing a shirt, and using a wide grip.

Hossein Rezazadeh Clean & Jerk 580lbs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EgcsKCXnAeA

1074LB World Record Bench Press Ryan Kennelly (look at that ROM! )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUU1HlRO4u8

OHP is the only exercise I do for my shoulders and it works the triceps as well. Fuck lateral raises! I'm more impressed by Vasily Alexeev pressing over 500lbs or Hossein Rezazadeh jerking almost 600lbs over his head then Ryan Kennelly pressing almost 1100lbs while laying on his back, wearing a shirt, and using a wide grip.

Quite in agreeance. If you look at Alexeev's body, he may not have massive cannonball delts (of course, he's not super-lean, but he still does not have a massively muscular physique), but he's got an overhead press that no bodybuilder has ever matched. And, I have strong doubts that he ever did a seated press in his strongest years (and I'm sure, no lateral raises or assistance work), as that's one movement that I can honestly say I've never heard of olympic lifters ever work on. And, I'm rather sad watching powerlifters when I see clips of them posting their overhead presses - guys who are benching 600-900 lbs. (equipped, of course), are struggling to get 300 lbs. overhead. I'm not taking anything away from Kennelly's benching because he's unquestionably the strongest equippeed bencher out there (and would probably be the strongest raw bencher if he decided to go that route), but that's not my interest. And, you're correct, the ROM on most of those mega-benches is about 12" if you're lucky, with a massive arch, mile-wide grip and a bench shirt that makes it so you literally have to pull anything less than 600 lbs. down into your chest to make it touch, it just doesn't compare.

I'm not bashing powerlifters, however I would like to see PL competition rules change and only allow Full Back Squats and shoulder width grip Bench Pressing unequipped. It would be difficult to judge Full Squats as far a depth though. Althought lifters would move less weight, I would have more respect for the sport of powerlifting and the athletes.

Also, bring back the Press into competition which has become a mantra in many weightlifting circles. I can't believe Curling is still a lift in some competitions and the Press is not.