critiquing deceptive advertising by the meat industry

veginator

I don't watch TV a great deal these days, but I vividly remember a couple of the ads for animal products that I've seen in the past that were notably deceptive about what eating meat entails (animal death and suffering). There were the Charley the Tuna ads where Charley was for some reason eager to have his dead body stuffed into a Starkist Tuna can and eaten by somebody, but mistakenly believed Starkist consumers wanted tuna with good taste rather than tuna that tasted good. Then there were the Ronald McDonald ads where hamburgers grew in a "hamburger patch." I'm trying to locate other examples of such ads (and especially videos of them) as well as any analyses of advertising by the meat and dairy industries from a vegan/animal rights perspective.

I teach psychology, and part of what I try to do when I talk about attitudes is getting students to think critically about deceptive claims by advertisers, government, and the media, so that's where this material would fit in. Does anyone know where would be a good place to look? I've struck out so far Googling.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2002-12-11-happy-cows_x.htm

Bunch of the post are to show that the advertising industry is deceptive. Does not matter how you look at it and no matter where if comes from. It can be found anywhere.

How about natural on most food boxes now found on shelves. It is so deceptive. Cow on on pastures on all butter and milk carton. Chicken place logos with a happy chicken sign.

And look the kids love the big chicken ... how Ironic!

255961869_14c2e134b0.jpg.b5a2530a087f5bb98c6d1af3c458e251.jpg

DSC01524.JPG.34d136aed44366cc08c64a3751e7ef05.JPG

Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of Pollo Campero before. Those pictures pretty much sum it up!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2002-12-11-happy-cows_x.htm

Bunch of the post are to show that the advertising industry is deceptive. Does not matter how you look at it and no matter where if comes from. It can be found anywhere.

How about natural on most food boxes now found on shelves. It is so deceptive. Cow on on pastures on all butter and milk carton. Chicken place logos with a happy chicken sign.

And look the kids love the big chicken ... how Ironic!

sure no problem. I hope it helps. I hate advertising and I use to work for an advertising company. Lots of deception... everywhere. I think the two things that bother me the most are when animals are used as the logos and they are depicted as happy but at the end they are the food at the restaurant. The other one is the muscle mags with the supplements. LIke take this protein and you will be big like me. They are all roid heads. Makes me sick!

Yeah, It's not often you get to see a smiling chicken.
Yeah and the worst is that this chicken is wearing an apron; are they trying to insinuate that the chicken is butchering and cooking other chickens ?

If it helps, don't think of it as an apron. Think of it as a loincloth.

http://i33.tinypic.com/24n1jy8.jpg

The Laughing cow is a brand of small cheese triangles.Not sure if you have them in the states.The adverts here show the "laughing cow" as being happy & healthy, & that she doesnt mind being artificially impreganted for her whole adult life & being kept in a cage too small to even turn around in, standing in her own faeces & never being able to raise any of her offspring, & then dying after 5 years when she should naturally live 12, due to the stress, diet & drugs.

Apparently thats ok though because the only place kids can get their calcium is cheese & milk, & they cannot treat the cow with any dignity because that would mean they would cost twice as much.If they costed twice as much, the parents wouldnt be able to afford their new audi, & lets be honest, thats more important than ethics.

For anyone who is not quite clear of my point, I have included a large dose of sarcasm to this post.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if they're deceptive or not but here in Australia we have a series of 'celebrity endorsement' TV ads for 'red meat' that annoy me.

See here: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SuABGeeb8

Sam Neil is probably best known internationally for his role as paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant in Jurassic Park.

The ads are presented as a parody of a David Attenborough natural science documentary, but despite the humour this format could lend a certain amount of scientific credibility to the ad's claims about eating meat i.e. "Red meat, we were meant to eat it".