Tasty, Non-Soy Protein Powders? Anyone?

Even though it's unlocked, BeforeWisdom didn't want it discussed. Here's a link to the thread as requested: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15795

Anyway, I wanted to post this thread because I was looking for help, not to just post a couple I've tried.

My friend and I are both vegans into bodybuilding, but she has an issue with taking soy like many people do. She bought a rice protein but ends up having to come home and blend it with fruit to make it drinkable. Does anyone know of any good non-soy protein powders that taste good so she can drink then right after her workout instead of having to come home? I also want to know because I'm interested in snagging a "vegan survival kit" for her sometime and would like to include this.

I have heard of this stuff:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioc/veganprotein.jpg

found here http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioc/veganprotein.html

But haven't had any word on taste...though at just under $14 with 12 servings at 20g protein each, that's almost just worth it to try.

I also remember hearing about Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate, made with wheat protein isolate. It's $19.99 for 57 servings, with 20g protein per serving. Have any of you tried this?

ProCore also made a buckwheat protein that, while discontinued, is still purchasable online. It's a buckwheat protein and is caramel flavored.

Any reviews on the above or any others? Also, any that are NASTY and should be avoided at all costs?

ProCore is AWESOME! I'm so upset that it was discontinued. It was the only one i could chug with water.

truprotein.com sells a variety of different vegan proteins (pea protein--they call it gemma--for about $5 a pound) I always get the gemma protein and sprinkle about a teaspoon of the buckwheat protein in it and mix it with water-its not great, but its pretty good. also, gemma, cocoa powder and stevia with water is pretty good too.

hope that helps!

Gemma is really good if you get their premium flavors (costs a bit more, but still rather cheap). I have tried the vanilla flavor of Ultimate Nutrition and I thought it tasted fine, but it was a hassle to get broken up (IE use a shaker bottle or a blender, etc.)

Other than that, the cheapest Gemma (I have plain chocolate with stevia sweetener) is rather terrible and I will have to do a bit of work to choke it all down. Also Rainbow Light's Rich Choco Protein Energizer is absolutely horrible, but that's probably because it has spirulina, added fibers, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

GNC's doing a "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" sale on their sports nutrition products, so I figured I should take this opportunity to try the Protein Isolate by Ultimate Nutrition. I cracked into the chocolate and didn't know what to expect, taste-wise (wheat + chocolate = chocolate bread?), but it was great! I have a shaker cup with a blender ball in it, so I didn't have the same mixing issue as Fallen Horse...in fact, it took only three shakes until it was mixed completely. I left half of it out overnight and found that it gets, well, glutenous, so I don't recommend pre-mixing it.

The chocolate tastes close to chocolate cake batter. The vanilla smells like a vanilla Slim Fast but tastes like...sweet broth with a hint of cheese? It's not BAD, just didn't expect THAT. I like to mix with coffee and tried it to see if it came out any better. The verdict? Yeah! It tastes like one of those vanilla cappucinos you can get at gas stations (from your pre-vegan days, of course).

The amino acid profile per serving is as follows:

Leucine - 1502mg

Isoleucine - 690mg

Valine - 742mg

Lysine - 342mg

Theronine - 506mg

Methionine - 276mg

Phenylalanine - 1112mg

Tryptophan - 384mg

Arginine - 620mg

Aspartic Acid - 700mg

Cystine - 554mg

Alanine - 530mg

Glutamic Acid (Glutamine) - 6460mg

Glycine - 808mg

Histidine - 398mg

Proline - 2720mg

Serine - 1028mg

Tyrosine - 628mg

Two noteable things are the glutamine content and the fact that the label reads "vegan" on the front. It's nice to know they recognize vegan lifters exist.

I don't have a tasty one for you but I do know of the WORST tasting non-soy powder. It's Vitamin Shoppe brand Soy Free Vegetable Protein. It was cheaper than the Naturade brand and had a similar profile so I got a container. Bad move.

The only protein I like with just water is hemp, like Manitoba Harvest or North Coast Naturals, or even better Prairie Naturals' Hemp-Force berry-pomgranate flavour (I haven't tried the cocoa flavour yet) which tastes awesome with zero sugar and no artificial sweetening. I never tried pea protein, but I heard it tastes really bad.

So yeah I find hemp protein is the best, but I wouldn't go that far :

Manitoba Harvest about their hemp protein powder : "It has a gourmet nutty flavor that tastes so good you can eat it straight from the jar."

That Nutribody is pretty good tasting and I read good stuff about the Sun Warrior that Sea Siren takes and loves.

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/sun-warrior-raw-vegan-protein-powder.htm

Excerpt:

Most vegetable and rice proteins on the market today use a chemical non-holistic process that makes for a hard-to-digest unnatural protein, lacking in essential and non-essential amino acids. By using a unique natural holistic bio-fermentation process and by combining the sprouted endosperm and bran from raw sprouted whole grain brown rice, this challenge has been conquered with Sun Warrior protein powder. The result of this process is a massive increase in lysine and essential and non-essential amino acids forming a perfectly balanced amino acid profile. At 85% pure protein, it is the first raw complete vegan, hypoallergenic superfood protein on the market. Not only does it taste superb, it blends exceptionally well and is very easy to digest. It digests so well that it has a 98% correlation rate to mother’s milk and a 98.2% digestion efficiency rating, making it one of the highest digestibility and efficiency ratings of any other protein source. What does that mean for you? Well, whereas other proteins you may have had were considerably less digestible, you may have taken 25g in a serving and only made use of less than 20g of that amount when your body digested it. Not the case with Sun Warrior – all but a mere 1.8% will be used correctly and efficiently by the body with minimal wasted protein, making it an excellent value compared to other less-digestible brands. And, of course, it is raw, so there’s no heat processing and the protein retains all of it’s original nutrients so that you get the most nutrition possible in every serving.

I never tried pea protein, but I heard it tastes really bad.

Really bad is an understatement! I picked up a tub of pea protein last night from the Vitamin Shoppe, don't remember the name as I'm currently at work, that was super duper horrible. Word to the wise!

I never tried pea protein, but I heard it tastes really bad.

Really bad is an understatement! I picked up a tub of pea protein last night from the Vitamin Shoppe, don't remember the name as I'm currently at work, that was super duper horrible. Word to the wise!

I find gemma delicious. By itself, mixed with rice protein, flavored, unflavored, whatever. It's pretty good.

I've been using Nutribody protein (http://www.nutribodyprotein.com) - it's a blend of rice and pea. It tastes good enough to me that I can actually drink it just mixed with water. It's not great that way, but not horrible. Usually I blend it with fruits. I guess it's pretty expensive though. But I like the idea of the blend to maximize the amino acid profile.

I just can't stand hemp protein - no matter what it's blended with - the taste and the texture, to me, are ing.

Greg

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Dear I'm Your Man,

Don't Worry, Be Happy is not Aristotle, it's Meher Baba (see encyclopaedia brittanica) and a Bobby McFarrin song from 1987, which he got from a Meher Baba poster on Tuck and Patti's (a Jazz duo) wall. The original Meher Baba quote is actually, "Do your best, then don't worry be happy." That is to say, do your best as in put your heart into it and then be detached from the results.

Best protein I ever had HANDS DOWN was Pure Advantage Chocolate Mint, which has also been discontinuted. I'm starting to think its a conspiracy against the Vegan Community. Everytime a protein comes out that is the LEAST BIT TASTY, it is discontinued. What is up with that? I'm serious... the makers of Whey are all in it together to take away our good tasting powders in the hopes that we will all turn to Whey. LOL

They have a new version of the Pure Advantage Chocolate Mint but it has 12 grams of carbs, so I am hell bent on finding the old formula. I found ONE website that had the old formula, but its like $47.00 for 2 pounds. I might as well buy Vega

Anyways, the Vanilla flavored Nitrofusion makes me want to hurl (sorry Johnathan, just being honest). But the chocolate is good, and he told me they were reformulating the flavors, so I haven't tried the new Vanilla yet. But it also has 9 grams of carbs. I'm pretty particular with my macronutrients that I like my proteins to be almost void of carbs so I can get my carbs in a whole food state.

I'm in my "bulking" phase right now and I've been taking Vega with soy milk after my workouts, followed by eating a crapload of high protein foods like oatmeal and nuts.

I was curious if taking Vega is ok for building muscle, or if I should take something else. Vega is awfully pricy and I just finished my tub so I'm thinking I should get something else.

I have some raw hemp protein (plain) that I can manage to choke down with juice but it's only 8g per scoop.

I've never tried rice or pea proteins and I'm afraid if I do it's gonna taste like ass or not work lol

I've been doing Vega and NutriBody, but I'm not bulking. Just trying to keep the carbs low.

Sun Warrior is what Sea Siren uses and it got great reviews on Amazon, raw easy to absorb and yummy.

I think there's a variety of choices on Vegan Essentials too, maybe they stock the Sun Warrior.

One thing is I got a blender bottle (little metal ball inside a bottle) it makes the protein powder nice and smooth without a blender!