Help please :)

thenewme

Hello! I've been an overweight vegetarian for a few years now. Vegetarian longer than I've been overweight. I'm now working with a trainer on losing about 70 lbs and I'm also making the choice to become vegan. My trainer was already worried about me getting enough protein and now he will freak!

He says I need 1 oz of protein per lb of body weight. That seems like a lot to me, and it seems almost impossible for me to do it without dairy. I guess I could have four protein shakes in addition to my regular meals. Is that a good idea?

What would be a good meal plan for someone new to veganism, trying to lose weight, also getting enough protein? My trainer has me off of processed carbs.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to post my before and after pictures!!! I'm going to be strong and healthy in no time!!!

Welcome!

Great to have you here.

I imagine it is 1g of protein per pound of body weight and that seems to be a good rule. I even use a bit more than that....slightly more than 1g of protein per pound of body weight. It seems to work well for me.

All the best with your efforts!

Welcome to the team!

I find the usual listed "requirements" for protein are blown completely out of proportion, and the thought of consuming "1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight" during down time seems ridiculous to me... I truly feel that all the articles telling people to eat that way are written by people who copied the diets of fanatical body-builders and tried to present them to the general public. If you ingest that much protein a day, you're taxing your liver and kidneys big-time... For example, I walk at 168lbs and I usually eat between 100 and 140 grams of protein per day when I'm in grueling, peak training... When I'm taking time off, I don't pay attention to it and I'd say it's usually around 70 grams a day, give or take...

-Mac Danzig

just thought i'd put this in

Hi and welcome to the forum

The rule is 1g per pound of lean mass, not total weight. So if you know what is approximately your ideal weight judging from your height, base your protein needs on this. But the 1-1.5g/lb is more for bodybuilders. If all you want is to lose weight, perhaps you need less. But when you cut on calories, it is important to increase slightly the protein intake so I guess yeah, you can use 1g/ pound of lean mass.

It is not harder to do this on a vegan diet compared to omni diet: just replace whey by soy/Gemma/Vega/hemp/rice proteins, lots of choices... lean proteins like legumes, greens, sprouts, tofu, tvp, seitan, tempeh, etc...

Like Mac Danzig said in the above quote : me too when I try to increase my protein intake, I do but not that much - I'm 145 lbs and I eat usually around 100 grams of proteins per day. When I don't take any protein supplement, just whole foods, it's 70 grams or less.

Welcome! I haven't weight myself in a while, but I think I am about 170. I generally consume 120-160 grams of protein per day and am more buff than 95% of the people at my gym. I don't consume processed proteins, but a good rule of thumb (at least what I used to do) is have 1-2 per day plus one after a strength workout. Really, going beyond two per day is likely going to bring your intake from processed foods above 10% of your calories and should probably be avoided.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all of the advice! I'm trying to put together a daily meal plan, because it's just easier for me to plan ahead and have everything ready, then I won't want to just grab something that won't be a good choice for me. I'm curious as to what you guys eat on an average day. I'll take into consideration that you probably aren't trying to lose weight.

And I just really want to try this one:

I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment. I'm currently weighning 92kg (202 lbs) and my goal is to lose at least 10kg (22 lbs), preferably 15kg (33lbs). Making meal plan might be a annoying, but there are some websites that can be a big help. Personally I use a site called Kalorilaskuri.fi, but since it's in finnish that won't do you much good There's a site called fitday that was advertised on t-nation few days ago. It's supposed to be a good online food log and it's free too. You might want give it a look.

There's some good basic guidelines to dieting. Personally I tried to minimize eating rice, pasta and bread. Eat fresh food and as little processed food as possible. Fat isn't the devil, so eat some nuts daily too For protein reguirements I was aiming to at least 1g per kg, but easily ended up getting lot more than that. My eating and training plans can be found in my training blog here.

work hard and best of luck to you're training

Most people here when they bulk down lots of oats, quinoa and other whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, green veggies and starchy vegetables when they are trying to bulk. Just try making lots of stir fries, chili, smoothies, different grain and legume pilaf type dishes, bean dips, etc. Basically, any way you can manage to down plenty of the above mentioned foods.

Welcome!

I meant to write here how there are loads of people who will help you with your diet and then I planned to write stuff about protein but obviously people already showed that they will help you and everything really necessary is already said about the subject, so my input isn't really necessary. Anyway, I love nuts and seeds. I suggest eat loads of them and you'll be healthy as a horse.

Ask your trainer to join this forum if he doesn't believe you can get protein as a vegan!

I would suggest a vegan trainer, online there's VeganPersonalTraining.com

I've lost 46lbs on a strict vegan diet as I am an animal rights activist, so I would be fat or fit, but I will be vegan dagnabit.

The fat loss tips at the site blatantly plugged above are spot on.