At what age you people became vegan and why?

GonzWernerITF

Vegetarian from about age 5, vegan at age 18, because I had been thinking more about animal cruelty and what it means to keep an animal in captivity. Since then I've found out more and more about farming practice and it makes me sick. Now 27.

Went vegetarian in high school - just found meat ing - didn't do the vegan thing them because i loved eating cheese. Got sick in college because I didn't do the veg thing right at all. Didn't understand what my errors were at the time. Went vegan at 28? I think. I'm thirty two now and have been doing it for about 4 years.

I don't remember when I switched, I think it was during my second year of high school. Went lacto-ovo for about a week and realized it was stupid so I went vegan right away. Sure there were some slip-ups with accidentally eating non-vegan things in the beginning but I think that's expected. I'm 28 now.

I did it solely because I didn't believe in the use of animals for our own purposes. I think the current industry is definitely extra horrible, but I have more of an abolitionist mindset.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny story for me:

I went vegan when I was 15, one week after winning my second state-level BBQ rib eating competition. I WOKE UP! I was ingly fat, unhealthy, and realized I was a hypocrite for saying I love animals but still contributing to their suffering.

I still have my "little miss piggy" crown and trophy to show people who go on about how they could "never give up meat or dairy", and explained that my "training" involved eating 3+lbs of meat a day.

That was almost 6 years ago, and my waistline and blood pressure are still recovering.

I ate really bad when I was a child. Was really into sports and very active. But my parents fed me garbage.

I looked up to my younger cousin she had a very slim healthy looking physique. She was a vegetarian. So at 15 I became a Vegetarian and wanted to see how long I go for. It was working at the beginning, But by 5 yrs later of eating more dairy and breads I ended feeling irrigable and crappy. My parents made me switch back. So by 20 I was eating meat again.

Three years ago I switched to a raw vegan diet. With the inspiration of friend Brendan Brazier in 2005.

He showed me the things he eat, his favorite foods/snacks (mostly Vega, and bananas) and then I took it from there.

So in over amount of time of not eating any animals I found I have more compassion and respect for animals. And mentally less guilty feeling of not consuming any animals products.

Edited by Tasha

• 4 weeks later...

Been vegetarian since birth! When I was 18 I tried to go vegan, but knew nothing about nutrition, so it didn't last long. But 3 years ago I went to a viewing of a video, Peaceable kingdom, which a local animal rights organization put on. Then I went to another event where they showed the same video and that did it for me. I just asked myself how could I contribute anymore to the horrors of factory farms, and the other stuff that they showed. My answer of course was that i could not, so ever since i've been vegan. At first I did it all for the animals, but soon after I joined veganbodybuilding I started learning about all the health benefits too.

I might also add, (sorry i know this is a bit longwinded), that I also had all the misconceptions about protein in a vegan diet, and lack of energy. But not once did I have less strength, or less energy, in fact I had tons more. I also lost weight! Go Vegan!

Almost 2 month over 3 years as a cold turkey vegan. I am now 55 1/2 years old. I was just going to go on a diet to get away from my doctor who wanted me to try some cholesterol pills and then retest my cholestreol after 30 days of pills. My doctor never gave me any advice about lifestrlye of diet change. So after deciding, I serached the internet and came accross veganism and vegan diets. Well after 30 days my cholesterol went from 246 to 167 in 31 days on the diet. In that month I studied and found out so much about veganism and the total positive effect it has on many things, and it became illogical(didn't make any sense) for me to go back.

Here are my blood test results from a month ago. after I stopped working out or taking any powders or suppliments fo over a month or more.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1jvle9.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rw1duh.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34i4i1i.jpg