Diets that worked for you?

Nathan Nearing

From what I remember the cabbage soup "diet" was given to patients that had to go through surgery but needed to lose a few first to make the operation successful.

I've never been on a diet, persay. Right now I want to lose some bodyfat, so I'm eating below my caloric maintenance. If I want to gain I go over (3000). I focus on eating whole non-processed fresh foods and eating often.

I see no point in arbitrarily cutting something out just because a diet says so. Or eating cabbage soup because a diet tells you to. If you eat whole plant based foods and have a varied diet, just set your daily caloric intake to fit your needs and you're golden.

• 4 months later...

I've implemented a few things from several diets, and now it's more a ;ifestyle change than a diet. The only diet that actually worked pretty well for me as a vegan was the South Beach Diet. I learned a lot, and I really got away from processed white flour, and sugar.

Eat to Live worked for me. I started following it before I became vegan over three years ago. I haven't given it up. Actually, I've just become better at it. It isn't really a diet, but more of a lifestyle.

You can also try McDougall. Besides his basic lifestyle plan, he has a diet called the "Mini-McDougall."

When I've actually managed to stick to a plan, what has been best for me is some degree of carb restriction (cutting my daily intake down about 35-50%), upping the protein and fat, and sticking primarily to whole foods. Also, cutting out sugars (except post-lifting), refined flours, etc. has been a good thing.

Too bad I can't stick to such things for long, maybe about 2 months out of the year based on past history. If I did, I'd probably have that ripped 6-pack I've always wanted