Help with a grocery list/meal plan for me? I am not vegan...

Wow what a nice welcome guys!

I know if I was on the fence about vegetarianism or veganism this treatment would really help me decide which camp to join.... and not in a good way....

Totally agree here.

brettmartin, find some fish replacements stat! I can tell you that a lot of the reason people have given you crap about it already is because "vegetarians" who eat fish confuse the rest of the omnivores into thinking that vegetarians still eat meat, but just have a special name for themselves (which is what a "pescatarian" does, essentially). Veg sushi might be a good place to start, like avocado-cucumber rolls, or tofu rolls (some restaurants have that). There is also this stuff called Tuno (which I've never had) that some people have recommended. You might have to order it online, I haven't seen it in stores. Try finding some vegan recipes that use seaweeds if it's really just the flavor of fish that you like.

Milk is a cinch to replace. Find a soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk, anything. There are a million different brands and flavors out there, so just experiment and find one that you like best. If you worry about protein, a lot of people here buy a rice protein and a pea protein and mix the two together in smoothies. Or they buy Vega, a great vegan protein mix. If powders aren't your thing, there's always beans, quinoa, tofu, seitan, tempeh, etc.

Like Zach said, no one can plan your whole diet for you--no one here knows what you like, what your body needs to thrive, etc. You need to experiment with different diets and plan it out for yourself.

I know if I was on the fence about vegetarianism or veganism this treatment would really help me decide which camp to join.... and not in a good way....

There's a difference between asking for help, and someone asking for us to do everything for him.

Last time I checked, fish weren't vegetarian. It's still the flesh of an animal. What's the difference between eating a fish and eating say.. A chicken? Both are alive.

People that say "I'm a vegetarian that eats fish" drive me nuts.

The term is pescatarian, but most people don't know that so people just say 'vegetarian who eats fish' and that works just as well...

How does that "work just as well"? If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. Period.

Pescatarian is a ridiculous term, and the people who use it are hypocrites.

The term is pescatarian, but most people don't know that so people just say 'vegetarian who eats fish' and that works just as well...

How does that "work just as well"? If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. Period.

How are you a vegetarian if you use dairy products?

Vegetarian that eats fish is an easy way for people to understand, without getting into specifics.

Amazes me how religiously people defend the terms...

Jesus Christ I know. You have to ask yourself, "What's at risk here?" when one finds those feelings of religious indignation boil up. It is the job of the egoic mind to protect one's sense of identity and self worth....

Anyway, back to not eating meat.

How are you a vegetarian if you use dairy products?

Vegetarian that eats fish is an easy way for people to understand, without getting into specifics.

Cheese was never sentient. Fish were. That is a fairly major difference.

I'm not religious about it, I just think the whole idea of calling yourself a vegetarian when you still eat meat is fucking stupid, and hypocritical.

It never used to bother me until I went to a banquet, was assured repeatedly that there would be a vegetarian option, and it turned out to be fish. I asked about it and they said "oh vegetarians eat fish so this should be okay for you!"

Ugh! I agree - you can imagine how many times I've been asked that. I am sure we all have. I couldn't understand it for the longest time and finally when someone asked me that I asked them why they would think that as fish is a still an animal and the reason that they gave me was religious. They said that when people fast for religion they can have fish because it isn't meat. So they assumed that I could have it for the same reason.

I am a vegetarian but not vegan. I do eat fish though. I am 6'1", 180 lbs, 22 years old. I want to bulk up but lose some of my fat I have.

I promise to stick to it if you take the time to help me...Thanks!

Talk a look at some of the training logs and you can see what other are eating. Then if you have specific questions I am sure I could help out.

Cheese was never sentient. Fish were. That is a fairly major difference.

I'm not religious about it, I just think the whole idea of calling yourself a vegetarian when you still eat meat is fucking stupid, and hypocritical.

The animal that produces cheese is sentient, and I care a whole lot more about a cow than a fish.

The terms don't matter, criticizing people about the terms only serves to alienate them and turn them off the vegan/veg path. Also is a reason many people don't even consider adjusting from their meat/dairy diet.

Vegans especially have a bad rap from a lot of omni's, and it's not just because they feel guilty.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever wonder why vegetarians have such a bad rap? Knocked Brett right out of the vegetarian group just for trying. I was looking for grocery list and meal planning too ideas too and it's been 20 yrs strict veggie for me. Bummer.

I am a vegetarian but not vegan. I do eat fish though. I am 6'1", 180 lbs, 22 years old. I want to bulk up but lose some of my fat I have.

I promise to stick to it if you take the time to help me...Thanks!

Heybrett,

you asked the same exact question, same words too,lol.. over at another "vegetarian" forum couple weeks ago, and they explained eating fish is not vegetarian, after you got a big rise outa the few fanatics there with you saying Jesus ate fish and there making fun of him. Hey man, I love Jesus! But this is a nutrition question.

Im also one of the only ones that took you serious and tried to help, with writing out a diet for ya. Are you trollin man? How old are you, are you having fun, lol?

The people over here seem like good peeps and very welcoming, so dont mess with em, if thats what your doing. There also mostly Vegan, so I really dont understand why you wouldnt be better researching bodybuilding nutrition for a couple days, and youll find what you need pronto. Stick to what the old schoolers did since you incorporate milk, eggs, and fish in your diet. Its pretty simple and basic and Im the only one who detailed that to you.

good luck man

• 2 weeks later...

Brett;

Got get Body For Life by Bill Phillips.

Buy off of that shopping list and follow his training and diet to the letter.

As many people said, it's very easy to cut the dairy out of your diet. It may be more challenging to cut the fish, but try doing it for 1 or 2 meals and Vegan options for the other. It may be easier than you think to slowly cut back on the fish and start replacing it with Vegetarian Protein Powders, Seitan and high protein tofu options.

At your age... following the BFL program... you should be very pleased with your results