Raw Food Vegans Fared The Worst In A Bone Density Study

This study tested people on the SAD, Lacto-Ova Vegetarians, Vegans and Raw Food Vegans. Raw Food Vegans did the worst on bone density scans

Low Bone Mass in Subjects on a Long-term Raw Vegetarian Diet

Luigi Fontana, MD, PhD; Jennifer L. Shew, BS; John O. Holloszy, MD; Dennis T. Villareal, MD

Arch Intern Med. 2005;165:684-689.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/165/6/684

Kinda old but whatever. Good for people to know.

But everyone knows raw foodist absorb minerals better than everyone else

Where do you read that the study compared bone density on vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarians and SADs?

Eighteen individuals eating a typical American diet who were matched with the RF group in terms of age, sex, and socioeconomic status served as a control group.

Look toward the bottom of the comments:

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=730

Okay so where did this Rick get the info? From what I can read it says nothing about lacto-ovo vegetarians or vegans. Just 18 people in the control group which all ate a "typical" diet (I'm guessing typical includes meat).

Don't believe raw foodists are at greater risk of fractures if they consume plenty of calcium rich foods, such as sesame seeds, broccoli and chinese greens.

Protein might still be an issue but more foods like that would probably help.

Can't say I've ever seen a raw foodist who looked anything than super healthy. Surely a variety of seeds, nuts, sprouted grains, flax, nutritional yeast, algaes and berries such as goji and acai can cover protein bases? The guys over at Organic Athlete, Charlie Abel, Tonya Kay, Brendan Brazier and Giacomo Marchese are in great shape following a raw diet.

Can't say I've ever seen a raw foodist who looked anything than super healthy. Surely a variety of seeds, nuts, sprouted grains, flax, nutritional yeast, algaes and berries such as goji and acai can cover protein bases? The guys over at Organic Athlete, Charlie Abel, Tonya Kay, Brendan Brazier and Giacomo Marchese are in great shape following a raw diet.

Yes a raw food diet CAN cover protein needs easily (no one is questioning that here) but often raw foodist does stupid shit like living of only fruit, juices, vegetables and do not eat the foods you mentioned. And I honestly have no idea what relevance your "observation" on raw foodist has here. You do know that low bone density isn't something you can just see in a person, right? Often osteoporosis is only spotted if you actually fracture a bone which is why it's not defined as a disease in most countries.

Regarding Organic Athlete. First of all Brendan is not raw even though he eats a high raw diet and is sold on BS theories like "plant enzymes aids digestion".

Second, do you really think it's fair to take obviously very active athletes and check their health status and then apply it to regular raw food individuals? If you do you're far out. Besides a lot of the cyclists would probably have a low bone density like most other cyclist have.