why you're skinny

i have went trought many posts on this forum and i have yet to find a good bulking up routine and diet so today i will post one that would actually provide some great gains.(english is not my first lang but ill try to make as much sense as posible )

1.unless youre 240 pounds with a 10% or lower bodyfat, stay away from isolation exercese such as curls,triceps exetensions, etc.

you will grow alot quicker doing heavy weight on compound exersises.

2.order a copy of starting strength and follow the program till you stall from there move on to 5x5 and from there to smolov<<<--- you dont need anymore routine planning because that will be your routine for the next 2 years if u follow the routines properly.

3.there is a reason why squatting is king of exercises: it realeses growth hormone and can add inchs to your arms even though the exercise is done with legs. But for that to happen you have to be going heavy 3-6 rep range.

4.stop worrying about getting enough protein and get enough calories. The body responds to calories when trying to grow, so if you dont eat caloric excess everyday, it dosent matter how much protein you ate you still wont grow a significant much.

5.tofu is a snack not a meal

now to the diet part

pasta-i have went through numerous bulking-up diets on this site and i dint see pasta once. 100g pasta is 380kcal and easier to ingest than 100g rice. Whole grain pasta is healthier, but takes longer to digest. Eat white pasta.

beans and rice=complete protein when eaten together. This should defiantly be one of the main sources in your diet.

anyways for some reason my comp is acting up so ill write more later thank you for reading

I think compound exercises are the way to go regardless of how big you are. If you're overweight you should focus more on diet and cardio anyway, I would think.

While bulking, I used to eat a lot of tofu but my body could not handle it. It worsened my IBS, so needless to say, I stay away from eating many soy products. I'll eat tofu maybe once a week now. Oatmeal is probably one of my favorite bulking foods

Oatmeal with cinnamon, chunks of walnuts, and drizzled with agave nectar. Mmm mmm good!

I also drink a lot of calories.. Chocolate almond milk is a nice treat! So are fruity smoothies with a scoop of hemp powder.

Tofu can be included in a meal!

Unfortunately I can't eat gluten, peanut, soy or corn anyhow...

beans and rice=complete protein? True...but the whol complete protein thing is a bunch of BS. Just eat enough calories and a wide variety...the body will put it all together in tyhe end. You can eat your beans in the morning and rice at night...makes no difference. Plus, most foods do have complete protein....just in different ratios. It's science.

I can see why it isn't a meal in and of itself, but why not part of a meal?

^^^

that's what i meant.i seen a lot of posts that say DINNER=TOFU.

half a cup serving of raw firm tofu contains 94 calories

oatmeal half cup contains 150 calories

buckwheat half cup contains 283is calories

1/2 cup quiona contains 318 calories

all tho it has a very high nutritional value(has more protein per serving then beef) and is a lot easier to eat then any of the foods i posted,it lacks in calories compared to any of those in serving size.

that's why you should eat tofu ALONG with your main meal.

^^^

all tho it has a very high nutritional value(has more protein per serving then beef) and is a lot easier to eat then any of the foods i posted,it lacks in calories compared to any of those in serving size.

I believe you may be comparing tofu to dry grains which soak up a LOT of water when cooked. There's no way 1/2 a cup of cooked quinoa is 318 calories...dry, yes. But half a cup of dry quinoa makes like a cup and a half of cooked quinoa due to how much water it absorbs. Same goes for stuff like oatmeal. Yes, half a cup (before it's cooked) is 150 calories, but after it's cooked, it takes up a LOT more volume than that, and so comparing it to half a cup of tofu doesn't make much sense, because that bowl of oatmeal that started out as a half cup dry is a whole lot more filling than that half cup of tofu...

Tofu: It's the snack that eats like a meal.

And white pasta is crap. If you seriously need to add calories reach for the nut butters.

why is white pasta crap?

and peanut butter calories come 72% from fat u would be better off eating

One cup of cooked spaghetti which contains about 7 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber and less than 1 GRAM OF FAT than 2 table spoons of peanut butter which contains 16g of fat and 6-8 g of protein.

and im talking bout meals here not sandwiches or snacks you can eat those after you have eaten 2 cups of vegan spaghetti

use peanut butter to meet your daily fat requirements.i just usually eat only about 2 peanut butter sandwiches a day

I agree with most of what you're saying, xxxwtfxx.

Basic reasons why people are skinny -

Not enough food.

Not enough compound exercises in their routines

Not enough weight on the bar.

Not enough sleep.

If you don't feel full after a meal, then you're not eating enough.

If at the end of your workout, you're not feeling like an absolute mess, drenched in sweat, feeling exhausted, then you're not working hard enough.

^^^

I believe you may be comparing tofu to dry grains which soak up a LOT of water when cooked. There's no way 1/2 a cup of cooked quinoa is 318 calories...dry, yes. But half a cup of dry quinoa makes like a cup and a half of cooked quinoa due to how much water it absorbs. Same goes for stuff like oatmeal. Yes, half a cup (before it's cooked) is 150 calories, but after it's cooked, it takes up a LOT more volume than that, and so comparing it to half a cup of tofu doesn't make much sense, because that bowl of oatmeal that started out as a half cup dry is a whole lot more filling than that half cup of tofu...

notice how i said that tofu is a lot easier to eat then the foods i just posted and im not talking about the easiest foods to eat without getting full im talking about the calories that food contains per serving (when dry) it dosent matter if you end up feeling stuffed that and the amount of water you had to eat with your dry grains dosent change the amount of calories you just ate.

Tofu can be included in a meal!

Unfortunately I can't eat gluten, peanut, soy or corn anyhow...

beans and rice=complete protein? True...but the whol complete protein thing is a bunch of BS. Just eat enough calories and a wide variety...the body will put it all together in tyhe end. You can eat your beans in the morning and rice at night...makes no difference. Plus, most foods do have complete protein....just in different ratios. It's science.

That's... not true.

You first of all, you really need to be eating your heavy carbs in the MORNING and less and less throughout the day, like an upside down pyramid, so rice at night is a bad idea.

You may look into checking a couple of other facts too...

And white pasta is crap. If you seriously need to add calories reach for the nut butters.

why is white pasta crap?

One cup of cooked spaghetti which contains about 7 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber and less than 1 GRAM OF FAT than 2 table spoons of peanut butter which contains 16g of fat and 6-8 g of protein.

and im talking bout meals here not sandwiches or snacks you can eat those after you have eaten 2 cups of vegan spaghetti

use peanut butter to meet your daily fat requirements.i just usually eat only about 2 peanut butter sandwiches a day

White pasta kind of is crap due to the simple carb content, if you're eating pasta it should really be a dark pasta. And it's not *just* about the fat amounts, it's about the kind of fats. 10gs of trans or sat fats is completely different than 10gs of monounsats.

why is white pasta crap?

White pasta kind of is crap due to the simple carb content, if you're eating pasta it should really be a dark pasta. And it's not *just* about the fat amounts, it's about the kind of fats. 10gs of trans or sat fats is completely different than 10gs of monounsats.

yeah i understand that but it all depends on the person if i eat dark pasta it makes me feel heavy and like taking a nap haha when i eat white pasta i get no side effects and same for me with brown rice and white rice i don't know maybe im just not used to those foods.

it also says to eat white pasta in this article http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-weight-for-skinny-guys

isn't working out til you feel like a mess called Over-training?

No. Overtraining is from working the same specific body part too much or too frequently, or just plain working out too much (e.g. 2 hours a day, every day, for weeks on end when your conditioning isn't up to that level yet). Your individual workouts should be HARD like sosso said.

There's a big difference between "I did 12 different triceps exercises today and now I can't move my arms because I've blown out the tendon" (overtraining) and "those heavy squats, deads, and rows I did today killed me. I can barely summon the energy to get up off this bench."

For the first time in my life, I've come to appreciate what truly hard workouts feel like. In the last 3 months of doing stronglifts, my strength has reached levels I never thought I was capable of, and I added 12 pounds to my frame. I realize now that what I was doing before (with the fear of working too hard) was just not working hard enough.

Medman, if I could give you a standing ovation for pointing out the proper way to train with intensity, I would certainly do it right now

Why people are afraid of working out HARD is beyond me, and you've seen first-hand what happens when you put in the effort and dedication to give it 100% by the returns on your time and work. I'll never understand those people who can hold conversations during sets, barely break a sweat, and then leave with as much energy as they entered with. For ideal results, training requires proper intensity and hard work as it does a good program and optimal diet and adequate rest, but a lot of people seem to treat the gym like they do their jobs (unless, of course, you love what you do) and other events they just want to get done quickly, doing just enough to get by but not enough to get ahead. It pays to put everything you have into your workouts, to where NOTHING matters except fighting to complete what you set out to do, which should never be done with anything less than 100% focus and intensity. Even powerlifters who are on programs where they may do lighter weight for lower reps in their programs STILL attack the weight as if they were going to need to battle for a PR - I've seen people who can deadlift 700+ lbs. who will work their lower-weight doubles with the same effort that they would a max lift, because that's how it's done.

My best days of training were both short sessions and long ones, low reps to high-rep endurance work, but one factor was set across the board - the times when I gave everything I had and pushed myself, I made progress. The times when I had self-doubt or made excuses about why I didn't feel like pushing myself hard, those were the times that I got nothing (or next to nothing) for my efforts, even if everything else was in place.

The biggest and strongest out there are not people who half-ass their way through workouts. They're the ones who care as much about their level of effort while training as they do all the other factors, because it doesn't matter how much you eat, how much rest you get, how awesome of a training program you've got or what supplements you take, if you don't put in the proper intensity when you train, it's never going to come together, period. The sooner more people can learn that and stop being afraid to test their mettle, the sooner people will start reaching the goals they set for themselves. It's called working out because...gasp...it's WORK, and it's hard work that shouldn't be treated like anything less than going to battle against yourself if you want to see how far you can take your progress.

Again, a big congrats, Medman, for making exceptional progress in these past 3 months!