Put my dog to sleep, was it the right thing to do?

socalfusions

My shih tzu, Charlie, was my closest friend that I could relate to more than anyone I knew. He was 12 years old and in questionable shape having near blindess, constant mucus build up in his eyes, ear infections, cancer growths on his body and a cyst on his neck.

The mucus build up is common in shih tzu's, the ear infection was being treated with natural ear creme and the cancer growths were found out late after he started receiving regular short haircuts. The large bump on his neck was classified to be a cyst by our dog groomer who said it would naturally pop by itself but was constantly scratched at by Charlie. Generally he was constantly scratching and biting at his body to what I would assume would be inflammated areas caused by cancer or some other problem. The main things that made me question whether he should be put to sleep is that he ate regularly and had no problem climbing stairs or running.

Of course like any pet the decision to euthanize them is incredibly difficult to make considering that the pet might be comfortable with any problems they may have while the owner might think differently. I came to the conclusion that after seeing Charlie appear to be in discomfort constantly after a full stomach and not in need of going to the bathroom that it had to be one of his conditions that were causing this and after my family agreed that he should be euthanized he was taken in today.

He was extremely nervous on the car ride, shaking most of the way, although he generally dislikes car rides. At the office I'm sure being nearly blind in addition to the smells and general nervous energy associated at a vet office he was understandably discomforted. After we had gone into a room he was very alert and when he had the catheter put into his leg he was terrified, constantly moaning and whining, which made me very unconfident in my choice of euthanizing him. I remembered why I brought him and felt it was for the best. As he shook in fear of the unknown the doctor came in with the syringe and put a hand on his paw to which he stopped shaking, probably wondering what would happen next, then as the syringe was pressed he slowly faded away to wherever life takes us when we go. There was some deep connection that was ripping at my entire being which made me put myself in Charlies shoes and felt the fear and the unknown that he was and I can't get over it by thinking that I made some informed decision based on the fact that I knew what was best for him simply because he couldn't speak to me.

I'm asking this here because I feel this is a great community and know I can get trustworthy opinions on whether I made the right decision on my friend.

It takes a lot of strength to make a decision like that, but you knew it was ultimately for the best. I realize Charlie's last moments were not very good, but you have all those great years to remember him, healthy. You made the right decision, he's transitioned into the great unknown beyond, free of this world's suffering.

It takes a lot of strength to make a decision like that, but you knew it was ultimately for the best. I realize Charlie's last moments were not very good, but you have all those great years to remember him, healthy. You made the right decision, he's transitioned into the great unknown beyond, free of this world's suffering.

Thank you for the kind words it means a lot.

About two months ago I had to put my gorgeous husky down that had been with us only 10 years. She was eaten up with cancer and I came home one day she was laying in her own urine unable to even get out of it. I cleaned her up and rested with her a few hours until my dad came home and we took her to have her euthanized. She was very calm about it, but point being, it was overdue and we waited too long, yours seemed to have been at the right time, so you did the right thing. For future reference, you can get vets that will come to your home and do it, costs a bit more, but it is available.

Sorry for your loss.

About two months ago I had to put my gorgeous husky down that had been with us only 10 years. She was eaten up with cancer and I came home one day she was laying in her own urine unable to even get out of it. I cleaned her up and rested with her a few hours until my dad came home and we took her to have her euthanized. She was very calm about it, but point being, it was overdue and we waited too long, yours seemed to have been at the right time, so you did the right thing. For future reference, you can get vets that will come to your home and do it, costs a bit more, but it is available.

Sorry for your loss.

Charlie and your friend are together now and I'll send my energy to them. Thats the one thing I wish I had done is had him of been in a more comfortable environment like home, thank you for letting me know that.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. You did the right thing. Any nervousness and discomfort he had during the procedure pales in comparison to the pain he'd continue being in until he otherwise would have passed away on his own.

I lost one of my cats about two years ago. After an operation to remove a toy she swallowed and two weeks of feeding through a tube, she started to recover but ended up with a septic infection from the tube removal. After less than two days of being in an oxygen chamber and being dosed with antibiotics, she was having more and more trouble breathing and eventually went into arrest and wasn't able to be brought back. As hard as it was to lose her, looking back I wish I could have known it wouldn't have worked at the beginning and been able to avoid putting her through all that suffering.

In your case it's clear his life would have been full of pain going forward. Putting him to sleep was the right choice. It'll get easier with time and in knowing you did the right thing. I feel like I'm mostly OK now with what happened with my kitty, but I'm getting myself upset now just typing about her.

You clearly loved your dog, and the decision to put him down was borne of compassion, so I don't think anybody could fault you. It's unfortunate he was a nervous car rider, although I think it can be even more heartbreaking when they love to go in the car, because it makes you feel like you're tricking them. If you're ever in the same position again, one option is to ask the vet for a sedative to give him before you take him in.

I used to work at a vet clinic and a wildlife rehab centre, so I've seen/aided in/administered many euthanasias, and while there were some I didn't agree with, Charlie's definitely would not be one of them.

It's hard. I had to put my German shephard to sleep. She had bladder cancer. I remember the day before,I was to take her to the vet to have her euthanized I got some peanut butter (her favorite and allowed her to eat the whole thing) she just looked at it and turned away. THat whole week before being put to sleep she wouldn't eat but a bite here or there. I then took her to the beach and although she had no energy to play like she used to, we just sat near Lake Erie watching the waves come in. I had to carry her back to the car. The next morning I said bye.

Crap..I'm crying again and it's been over a few years!

Anyways, you did the right thing. I still think of my dog princess and how she was suffering. I took her to the vet and I think she knew. I think in a way she knew she wouldn't suffer anymore.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put my dalmation down (his name was Pongo) about two years ago. I waited too long to do it and wish I could have done it sooner to relieve him of the pain. You did it at the right time and I'm sure Charlie is very happy and painfree. You did the right thing.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. You did the right thing. Any nervousness and discomfort he had during the procedure pales in comparison to the pain he'd continue being in until he otherwise would have passed away on his own.I lost one of my cats about two years ago. After an operation to remove a toy she swallowed and two weeks of feeding through a tube, she started to recover but ended up with a septic infection from the tube removal. After less than two days of being in an oxygen chamber and being dosed with antibiotics, she was having more and more trouble breathing and eventually went into arrest and wasn't able to be brought back. As hard as it was to lose her, looking back I wish I could have known it wouldn't have worked at the beginning and been able to avoid putting her through all that suffering.

In your case it's clear his life would have been full of pain going forward. Putting him to sleep was the right choice. It'll get easier with time and in knowing you did the right thing. I feel like I'm mostly OK now with what happened with my kitty, but I'm getting myself upset now just typing about her.

Your kindness is much appreciated, I would have done the same thing to try and save a fellow companion, I also have 4 cats and have yet to see one of them pass away which I've been thinking a lot about since Charlie has gone.

You clearly loved your dog, and the decision to put him down was borne of compassion, so I don't think anybody could fault you. It's unfortunate he was a nervous car rider, although I think it can be even more heartbreaking when they love to go in the car, because it makes you feel like you're tricking them. If you're ever in the same position again, one option is to ask the vet for a sedative to give him before you take him in.

I used to work at a vet clinic and a wildlife rehab centre, so I've seen/aided in/administered many euthanasias, and while there were some I didn't agree with, Charlie's definitely would not be one of them.

Gratitude for your kindness, I had a black lab that I took before Charlie that actually loved car rides and it was indeed sad seeing as how she probably wasn't aware of the destination. I will surely ask for a sedative if not having a vet come to my home for any other companions, thanks again.

It's hard. I had to put my German shephard to sleep. She had bladder cancer. I remember the day before,I was to take her to the vet to have her euthanized I got some peanut butter (her favorite and allowed her to eat the whole thing) she just looked at it and turned away. THat whole week before being put to sleep she wouldn't eat but a bite here or there. I then took her to the beach and although she had no energy to play like she used to, we just sat near Lake Erie watching the waves come in. I had to carry her back to the car. The next morning I said bye.

Crap..I'm crying again and it's been over a few years!

Anyways, you did the right thing. I still think of my dog princess and how she was suffering. I took her to the vet and I think she knew. I think in a way she knew she wouldn't suffer anymore.

Yes it is one of the hardest decisions in life knowing that you have to make the call without knowing what your companion wants. Charlie was a peanut butter lover himself haha, I loved the tongue action that was going on when he ate it. They are both together now and I'll send my love to them, thanks for your response.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put my dalmation down (his name was Pongo) about two years ago. I waited too long to do it and wish I could have done it sooner to relieve him of the pain. You did it at the right time and I'm sure Charlie is very happy and painfree. You did the right thing.

Thank you so much, I know Charlie and Pongo are both in a comfortable place now.

I lost a cat to cancer in 2007.

Cancer treatment in animals, although it is available (it's very expensive) is not very efficient at treating the disease. Cancer is the number one reason people bring in their geriatric pets for euthanasia because in older pets it spreads very quickly and it causes a lot of pain and suffering.

I stand by your decision. Watching your pet suffer is tough because they are our family members too.

I'm pissed off at your groomer for "classifying" the lump on your dog's neck as a cyst. She has absolutely no medical authority to do that.

I lost a cat to cancer in 2007.

Cancer treatment in animals, although it is available (it's very expensive) is not very efficient at treating the disease. Cancer is the number one reason people bring in their geriatric pets for euthanasia because in older pets it spreads very quickly and it causes a lot of pain and suffering.

I stand by your decision. Watching your pet suffer is tough because they are our family members too.

I'm pissed off at your groomer for "classifying" the lump on your dog's neck as a cyst. She has absolutely no medical authority to do that.

Gratitude for your kind words, it almost feels like we live forever while we watch our companions pass away since their life spans are so much shorter. Yes I was surprised that my groomer came to that conclusion since she really didn't know.

It was a very difficult decision. But you made the right one. At some point, judging by Charlie's condition as you describe it, he could have started to experience a lot of pain - quite possibly excrutiating. Before it became apparent to you, he would have suffered a lot in silence. Dogs can be good at hiding their suffering.

You saved him from all that. He was probably already beginning to suffer. You caught it just in time to save him further suffering.

I'm sure he still loves you. Keep his memory alive.

My condolences to all of you who have lost a loved one.

Please know you did the last kind thing you could for your dog. When I lost my best friend Freckles 2 years ago, I decided to have her portrait tattooed on my arm as a constant reminder that she's always with me in spirit. I also read a book called For Every Dog an Angel by Christine Davis. Her website is www.lightheartedpress.com. That seemed to ease the pain a little.

I know nothing I can say can comfort you. Please know I'm thinking of all of you who have been in this difficult situation. Last week my other dog was diagnosed with lymphoma. Right now he's not in any pain. He still wags his tail and enjoys most of his food. Still loves his belly rubs and his face scratched. the only symptom thus far is weight loss and he's a bit pickier about his food. I keep praying he won't get to the point of starting to suffer, but if he does there is no doubt that I will once again make the decision to put him to sleep. I hope I don't have to and that he'll pass in his sleep. I won't let him suffer either. Please know I'm thinking of you. I know Charlie is up there with Freckles. Take care.

It was a very difficult decision. But you made the right one. At some point, judging by Charlie's condition as you describe it, he could have started to experience a lot of pain - quite possibly excrutiating. Before it became apparent to you, he would have suffered a lot in silence. Dogs can be good at hiding their suffering.

You saved him from all that. He was probably already beginning to suffer. You caught it just in time to save him further suffering.

I'm sure he still loves you. Keep his memory alive.

My condolences to all of you who have lost a loved one.

I will honor him with every breath left in my body, thank you.

Please know you did the last kind thing you could for your dog. When I lost my best friend Freckles 2 years ago, I decided to have her portrait tattooed on my arm as a constant reminder that she's always with me in spirit. I also read a book called For Every Dog an Angel by Christine Davis. Her website is http://www.lightheartedpress.com. That seemed to ease the pain a little.

I know nothing I can say can comfort you. Please know I'm thinking of all of you who have been in this difficult situation. Last week my other dog was diagnosed with lymphoma. Right now he's not in any pain. He still wags his tail and enjoys most of his food. Still loves his belly rubs and his face scratched. the only symptom thus far is weight loss and he's a bit pickier about his food. I keep praying he won't get to the point of starting to suffer, but if he does there is no doubt that I will once again make the decision to put him to sleep. I hope I don't have to and that he'll pass in his sleep. I won't let him suffer either. Please know I'm thinking of you. I know Charlie is up there with Freckles. Take care.

You've comforted me by simply responding, I'll send my energy to Freckles and your dog <3