Gluten Free Veganism

hemp protein, Vega products are gluten free I think, soy protein, non wheat pastas and rice, all vegetables and fruits, mainly anything not containing gluten like Ducati said. Vegan essentials has a gluten free product section I think too.

I actually thought I had a gluten allergy because I developed a persistent cough after eating wheat products like baked goods. However, it doesn't happen when I eat seitan. So, now I am thinking it is either a different part of the wheat plant, or maybe yeast. I am going to have to do more experiments.

Almost anything can be made without gluten.

Gluten free vegan here! Easy. Good thing I like rice, and corn. Buckwheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth and sorghum all can be ok. And nuts, beans and vegetables are great. I avoid most premade food so I can be sure what went into what I eat.

What isn't easy is eating out. I know some coeliacs do, but my reactions are too extreme so I cannot risk it. Restaurants do not seem to know what they are doing. That means I save a lot of money! I will sneak food in, eat beforehand or plan something or other. One time I went into a supermarket and the only thing I could eat that was solid food was a vegan chocolate bar. I felt that was a good outcome.

One busy place is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vegan-and-Gluten-Free/

What isn't easy is eating out. I know some coeliacs do, but my reactions are too extreme so I cannot risk it. Restaurants do not seem to know what they are doing.

Yeah. I have a friend who has celiac disease and a lot of restaurants must think she is joking around when she asks for her breakfast without the toast because they will bring it out with the toast sitting right on top of everything else. Maybe they figure "oh, if she doesn't want to eat it, she can just put it to the side" when really she doesn't want a single crumb of bread touching her food or she will get sick. I wouldn't trust a lot of places either, if I were her.

Yea I'm allergic to gluten. My main staples are red lentils, chickpea's, mixed beans, quinoa, gluten-free oatmeal, almonds, pumpkin seeds, tofu. Fruit I eat mostly blueberries, papaya's, cantaloupe. Vegetables are broccoli, green beans, kale, carrots, zucchini, hot peppers. For protein powders a 50/50 of rice and gemma pea protein.

Does anyone else get severe heartburn when they eat white flour or a lot of gluten in general? If I eat one white flour cracker I can have heartburn for hours but can eat a big bowl of granola.

I think being gluten free would be pretty easy, now that I eat mostly staple foods.

Oh, and nice avatar notknowning!

I have yet to pinpoint what in wheat causes my persistent cough. I thought it was the gluten, but since I can eat seitan with no ill effects, it must be something else. If anyone comes across information concerning other types of wheat allergies other than gluten that lead to a persistent cough, I'd would appreciate it very much:)

Not to thread jack, but has anyone heard that gluten acts as an "anti-nutrient", preventing the absorption of other nutrients even in people that do not have celiacs disease? One of my cousin's friends who is an iron man tri-athlete suggested I remove gluten from my diet for this reason and I've been thinking about just trying it because there is so little gluten in there anyway. I don't notice any negative effects from the gluten though.

• 3 weeks later...