protein shakes

CollegeB

I have found my favorite things to put in a protein shake. First I put some new rice juice which i bought at a korean market, but I bet it is available at most asian markets. Then some soymilk. The liquids thus far come up to about 200 ml. Then water up to about 500 ml. Then my serving of protein powder and creatine. You all probably know the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

that sounds good question i knwo this is probley a given but is this soy protein and if so what flavor and how much do you drink every and also btw i heard thatsoy protein has estrogen in it that makes you gain weight

that sounds good question i knwo this is probley a given but is this soy protein and if so what flavor and how much do you drink every and also btw i heard thatsoy protein has estrogen in it that makes you gain weight

You should try hemp protein. There is a product called Vega (myvega.com) that is a great source for it. It's a whole food meal replacement that is really beneficial. I'm learning more about the power of hemp protein all the time.

Give it a try sometime. I like to take a break from soy and rice protein throughout my training and nutrition programs too.

Yeah it was soy. I am on rice too, but didnt have it at the time. I had the same fears about soy and am looking into a supplement that promotes testoterone since they push that stuff on other bodybuilding sites. But I'm not really concerned, just look at topher or rob. Are they fat? No! And they eat plenty of soy. Hell look at kollision some time if you can, he is huge and eats plenty of soy as well. As for the flavor i buy the plain kind since there is less artifical stuff in there, and it has more protein than the flavored kinds. I buy genisoy since it's cheap at kroger. I'm taking 2 servings (according to the label) of this daily and have been adding soy milk and rice protein too. I eat tofu dogs daily. Usually rice and beans for dinner. Lots of fruit. Veggies at dinner and lunch. I eat nuts for snacks. I have a bag of soy nuts I've been eating too. The estrogen mimicers in soy are a valid concern, but I think they can be blown out of proportion. If you are still fearful, eat more tempeh since it's fermented the estrogenic effects are minimized. Hemp protein, peanut butter, all of these are great protein sources too.

• 3 weeks later...

I started eating my soy protein powder mixed into non-dairy yogurt, puddings, and dessert tofu. I find it more enjoyable this way.

-CO

• 1 year later...

weere you referring to the lowering sperm count/making you steril nonsense about soy? or something else?...while on the topic, what is your opinion on the sperm count issue?

Yeah it was soy. I am on rice too, but didnt have it at the time. I had the same fears about soy and am looking into a supplement that promotes testoterone since they push that stuff on other bodybuilding sites. But I'm not really concerned, just look at topher or rob. Are they fat? No! And they eat plenty of soy. Hell look at kollision some time if you can, he is huge and eats plenty of soy as well. As for the flavor i buy the plain kind since there is less artifical stuff in there, and it has more protein than the flavored kinds. I buy genisoy since it's cheap at kroger. I'm taking 2 servings (according to the label) of this daily and have been adding soy milk and rice protein too. I eat tofu dogs daily. Usually rice and beans for dinner. Lots of fruit. Veggies at dinner and lunch. I eat nuts for snacks. I have a bag of soy nuts I've been eating too. The estrogen mimicers in soy are a valid concern, but I think they can be blown out of proportion. If you are still fearful, eat more tempeh since it's fermented the estrogenic effects are minimized. Hemp protein, peanut butter, all of these are great protein sources too.

The estrogen mimicers in soy are a valid concern, but I think they can be blown out of proportion. If you are still fearful, eat more tempeh since it's fermented the estrogenic effects are minimized. Hemp protein, peanut butter, all of these are great protein sources too.

Phyto-estrogens, which are found in an entire array of plant foods are 1000X weaker than estrogen. Remember, we are talking about "estrogen-like" in the sense that it mimics but is not an analogue to this hormone. People who state they are staying away from soy out of fear of being feminized are getting as much or more phyto-estrogens from the other plant foods (primarily legumes and grains) they consume no matter really how carnivorous their diet may be.

Hemp, by the way may very well be the most superior protein food source, be it animal or plant based due largely to it's highly digestible globulin edestin class of protein it's composed of.

were you referring to the lowering sperm count/making you steril nonsense about soy? or something else?...while on the topic, what is your opinion on the sperm count issue?

Here's an idea--let's poll the Asians on their opinion about soy and sterility...

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post my current protein shake:

approx 1/2 cup wild blueberries (frozen section, safeway)

approx 1/4 cup raspberries (frozen section, safeway)

1/2 frozen banana

1 cup soy milk (10g protein)

1 tbls rice protein (15g protein)

1 tbls ground flax seed

1 tbls greens mix

This is almost as good as just mixing Vega (Vega has the greens, the essential fats and the protein you need) in with the fruit and some water, I have to get me some Vega.

Thanks to Courtney for inspiring the addition of the berries, really makes it a treat!

i use these:

1 banana (pref frozen)

1/4 cup strawberries, blueberries or rasberries

1 heaping tablespoon of Brown rice protein (i like NutriBiotic brand)

enough water to cover the berries, but not all of the banana or powder

a tablespoon of organic oil (sunflower is my favorite to use, cuz it's lite and has very little taste... flax works well too)

blend and enjoy. that kind of rice protein makes really creamy shakes. leave the oil out if you're in your cutting phase, i suppose.

alternatively, i do the same with hemp protein (manitoba harvest is great) and a spirulina quinoa mix (peaceful planet supreme meal)

also, on the soy thing... that''s true that you are getting phytoestrogens from other legumes, but if you're pounding 100-200 grams of soy protein a day, you are definitely going to be having an effect on your hormone balance.

I used to make them with soymilk, but haven't been making shakes due to a blender mishap a while back, but I've never used powder.

Soymilk

Strawberries, Blueberries and a couple banana's

Spoonful of Peanut Butter

Ground Flax Seeds

It's not as much protein as you'd find if you used hemp, pea, rice, soy or vega, but it's not bad at all.