The Smell of Meat

I think there's some kinds of meat that I think smell like crap, but I am not sure which ones. I think stuff like crabs and fish are pretty bad smelling, and chickens / birds smell weird... Some of the smells appeal to me though, which kind of frustrates me, because I don't like to think that a dead body smells good, that seems screwed up

Barbecued flesh smells horrid to me. I can't imagine anyone finds it appealing.

Fish and seafood smells gross as well.

Some stores smell very 'bloody' over by the chopped-up-body-parts section.

Chicken and turkey, though, sometimes actually smell good to me. (though the odor coming from a local KFC is really bad!)

I hold my breath and look away when I walk past meat in a supermarket or anywhere else I see/smell it. It makes me actually shiver. Does anyone else get that. It is a quick shiver/shimmy/shaking-type response when I see/smell meat.

I'm not sure which smells the worst. Fish is really bad, beef and pork are really bad.

I sadly have to agree partially with Richard. I hate the smell of meat, it does make me a bit ill and causes me to shiver, but occasionally I'll smell something that doesn't smell too bad and then realize it is chicken or something and it frustrates me/pisses me off. But then again, let's say it was human meat I was smelling and didn't realize what it was. I'd feel th same way, frustrated later on realizing a smell I thought wasn't too bad was actually that of my same species.

It is rare that meat ever smells anything but bad, but even if in some way it appeals to you, remember the process of how that meat came to be there. Not everything that smells ok is good for you. Many things that are poison to the body don't smell that bad but to eat them would kill us.

Hold your breath when you walk by the meat so you don't have to smell it in the first place, that is what I do. Even better is to visit places that do not sell meat or have meat anywhere within sniffing range. Then again we have to be realistic too about our surroundings.

Another really wretched odor: herring.

One of my colleagues once went on a low-carb diet and ate a lot of herring. (now, I used to like pickled herring when I was a kid, but this was smoked or some stinky kind). It left the lunch room reeking of the fish, and HE started to have body odor that smelled like it as well because he ate so much.

So you are saying a summer truck stop restroom smells bad????

Just kidding. Yeah, the smell of meat really annoys me and I always hold my breath around it, thinking some of those molecules will end up in my system or something. I'm not super paranoid, just prefer not to have to smell it.

I went on a road-trip from Utah to Alabama over the summer. Those truck stop restrooms weren't too bad Not as bad as dead meat.

I know this is silly, but whenever I smell meat or eggs cooking, I try to hold my breath to not ingest any of their smoke/smell, because ...well.....in my convoluted mind I start thinking that when you cook something, some of it changes its form to liquid and then to molecular form and seeps into the air.......

Stupid, I know....

I know this is silly, but whenever I smell meat or eggs cooking, I try to hold my breath to not ingest any of their smoke/smell, because ...well.....in my convoluted mind I start thinking that when you cook something, some of it changes its form to liquid and then to molecular form and seeps into the air.......

Stupid, I know....

Hey, as stated above....I'm the same way

I really dislike the smell of eggs too. Almost as bad as meat, or maybe their odor is worse.

I do it too sometimes. Now I dont take it to the point where I pass out like if i'm at a restraunt, but I dont like those smells either.

Well I haven't gotten to the point of passing out , but good to know there's another who does it too CollegeB.

Crash wrote:

Stupid, I know....

Hey, as stated above....I'm the same way

I couldn't agree more!!! Just as I hold my breath when passing someone smoking, I do the same anytime I encounter meat. (This definitely made working at a restuarant a difficult task! And during Thanksgiving at my grammy's house, I'm blue from lack of air for 10 hours of no breathing, lol. Good thing I used to be on the swim team in HS... I knew that all those breathing drills would come in handy some day! LOL).

What do you expect?? As soon as an animal dies the body starts to decompose. Urea (we all know what that is) floods the cells as the body prepares to break down tissues. People who eat meat are just a graveyard for decomposing flesh!

Mmmmmmmm.... the smell of rotting flesh!!! Who can resist it? I think it's the New Springtime Signature Scent from Bath and Body Works!

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a company which supplies food and supplies to restaurants. We just held our annual foodshow yesterday. The foodshow showcases our products to customers.

As I entered the exhibit area, I was assualted by the smell of cooking meat (all the meat vendors were siuated at the front) I have NEVER been so repulsed by odours!!!! Hard to describe.... grease, burning,...death

I felt like leaving right away...but since it was work related, I held by breath and quickly walked to the produce area

Hard to say why the responses to the smell of meat are so strong, but I think that in addition to the just plain nasty smell, we as vegetarians & vegans have a heightened level of empathy which exacerbates the negative response.

I have never paid much attention to this topic, but read through it. Yesterday I was in the grocery store and they have one of those in house delis where they serve sandwiches, fried chicken, pizzas, ribs etc. I was walking through (I know, I said that already) and I got a big whiff of the frier vats. I high stepped it out of there, made me sick.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I think it kind of depends. Some things just horrify me...like burgers, if someone just drops a hunk of ground beef on a grill and cooks it up....ugh. But on the other hand, my mom made some sort of roast (pork I think?) for Easter dinner tonight, and it was seasoned heavily with all sorts of herbs...the dominant smell was rosemary, which is wonderful....and it didn't have a particular "meat" smell at all....I have to say, it smelled pretty damn good, and I wouldn't have known what it was exactly if I didn't know.

One of my colleagues (a sheep rancher in addition to being a teacher) was eating some beef something-or-other in the department lunch room the other day, and I stopped in to talk to him, and had to leave quickly because the stench was making me ill!

I had to train some newbies on our software last week. They came in at noon & brought their fast food lunches with them. I had to excuse myself & tell them we would begin training after everyone ate. The one girl had a sandwich with piles of lunch meat on it, which grossed me out to look at it, but the stench was ing! Even when they were finished I had to move the trash can to another room.

The smell of the meat department at the grocery store bothers me so much I have mapped out different routes in each store to avoid the departments of death.