Starting running

carrot topless

Don't quit! Start off with small distances of running or running 1km, then walking 1km. I'd suggest jogging at first to get a rhythm down. I found once I started to barefoot run I became more in-tune to my rhythm and foot control because of how you land when barefoot. For shoe running I'd say don't put much emphasis on the heel and have more of a mid foot strike.

Yes, i am trying to jog. The first few meters are like playing that game* where you have to press the keys to make the man run, I feel like I am going to end up a mess of limbs on the floor. I guess it is just a co-ordination thing that needs practice, it is so frustrating! I am not sure about barefoot running, where do you do it? how far?

* http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Let's start with that I can't run and I think it is an important thing to be able to do.

Ohh then this is easy. Quitting won't help with that goal. Keep going.

The run/walk method is the best way to start. Run ten minutes walk a min and repeat. Slowly reduce the walks.

I would start even easier than 10 x 1. Try running 3 minutes and walking 1. There are so many muscles you need for running that don't seem to get worked out doing anything else--best for long-term health and non-injury to start really, really slowly!

Increase your time/distance no more than 10% each week, if you try running three times a week. If you're experiencing pain in your feet or knees, take it back a notch.

As for your feet, it really helped me to focus my brain entirely on what my body was doing, what I wanted it to be doing. Getting distracted when I first started running led to making mistakes and because I'm clumsy, sometimes hurting myself -- but luckily not seriously.

Be patient and take it slowly--besides avoiding injury, you want to find a way to enjoy it or you won't continue. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I just started the 1st of this month and have put in close to 30 miles this month. Most I think I have ever run in my life in one month. Much like you carrot topless, my rhythm seems to be hit and miss. As a few pointed out, the program I was following started out with simple walking, just a mile. As I got into the following week it was a power walk and by the end of the week it was a job. Since starting week 4 it's been nothing but running.

I did go out and by a good pair of Brooks (Ghost 5) in which to run in, but being new I am sure I am missing some technique to improve my running form. Hopefully the more I run the better the form will become.

• 2 weeks later...

I will advice you to use a running program and set realistic goals. Hitting small goals will motivates you and helps you in sticking with fitness goals. Combine exercise with proper diet chart and keep a running log to measure your progress.

I will advice you to use a running program and set realistic goals. Hitting small goals will motivates you and helps you in sticking with fitness goals. Combine exercise with proper diet chart and keep a running log to measure your progress.

I do agree with the running log ~ nothing beats seeing your training efforts on paper and it also gives you a good reference to look back on to find out what worked/didn't work.

• 8 months later...