Ultimate Fighting

I just thru the question out there. I thought Wanderlei should have retired before his match with Franklin. He lost 4 of his last 5, 3 by knockout, before this fight. I hate to see a great athlete in any sport compete well past his prime.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UFC 100 is next! Im stoked to see GSP defend his title. I think he'll beat Alves pretty soundly. Mir will sub Lesnar again. Maybe not as quickly as the first time cause Lesnar will be a bit more careful. Unless Lesnar hits him with a big shot cause Mir is known to go down relatively easy.

Should be an awesome card!

• 2 weeks later...

hey just noticed this...

UFC 100 has a website!

Brock Lesnar Vs. Frank Mir

Georges St-Pierre Vs. Thiago Alves

Jon Fitch Vs. Paulo Thiago

Dan Henderson Vs. Michael Bisping

Yoshihiro Akiyama Vs. Alan Belcher

Mark Coleman Vs. Stephan Bonnar

Mac Danzig Vs. Jim Miller

overall a very good card on paper, we'll see how it actually turns out.

i really wanna see how Akiyama will do in the UFC.

and i still hate the fact that Brock Lesnar is in a main event

hey just noticed this...

UFC 100 has a website!

Brock Lesnar Vs. Frank Mir

Georges St-Pierre Vs. Thiago Alves

Jon Fitch Vs. Paulo Thiago

Dan Henderson Vs. Michael Bisping

Yoshihiro Akiyama Vs. Alan Belcher

Mark Coleman Vs. Stephan Bonnar

Mac Danzig Vs. Jim Miller

overall a very good card on paper, we'll see how it actually turns out.

i really wanna see how Akiyama will do in the UFC.

and i still hate the fact that Brock Lesnar is in a main event

yeah this is ther first time in a long time that I am interested in the entire card.

come on Mir

come on Dan

come on George

come on Mac

come on Mir

• 2 weeks later...

i think now everyone can see why i dislike brock lesnar so much. he acted like a complete idiot before, during, and after the fight. displays no skill, no technique, and absolutely no class. it's clear that mentally he is still in the WWE. worst champion ever!

in contrast, look how GSP or Fedor handle themselves. you'd never see them gloat and rub it in an opponents face after they win, even if the opponents talk trash about them. and they have plenty of opportunity to do so. but you'd never see them being so disrespectful to a fellow fighter or to the fans.

everyone in the sports bar i was in was completely dis gusted w/ brock's pre and post fight antics. turning his back on Mir when it was time to touch gloves, flipping off the crowd, disrespectful to Mir after he won, and then having the nerve to complain about money! he already gets paid more than fighters who have 4 times as much experience, 10 times more skill, and 100 times more class! but instead of being humble with after all the unheard of shortcuts, priveledges, and money he has been given, he doesn't even give a "thank you for the opportunity". instead, he gives the audience two middle fingers. he really showed his true colors, just a greedy brutish one dimensional bully.

Shane Carwin gets it....

"The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME. He may be a Champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a Champion. The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama it is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night...

It doesn't matter if you win or lose it matters HOW you win or lose ".

Source: Shane Carwin Blog

i think now everyone can see why i dislike brock lesnar so much. he acted like a complete idiot before, during, and after the fight. displays no skill, no technique, and absolutely no class. it's clear that mentally he is still in the WWE. worst champion ever!

in contrast, look how GSP or Fedor handle themselves. you'd never see them gloat and rub it in an opponents face after they win, even if the opponents talk trash about them. and they have plenty of opportunity to do so. but you'd never see them being so disrespectful to a fellow fighter or to the fans.

everyone in the sports bar i was in was completely dis gusted w/ brock's pre and post fight antics. turning his back on Mir when it was time to touch gloves, flipping off the crowd, disrespectful to Mir after he won, and then having the nerve to complain about money! he already gets paid more than fighters who have 4 times as much experience, 10 times more skill, and 100 times more class! but instead of being humble with after all the unheard of shortcuts, priveledges, and money he has been given, he doesn't even give a "thank you for the opportunity". instead, he gives the audience two middle fingers. he really showed his true colors, just a greedy brutish one dimensional bully.

Mir talked shit for weeks leading up to it, and the fans have been booing Brock since the first time he set foot in the cage. Mir seems like a dick, and if anyone exhibited an unprofessional lack of respect, it was him leading up to the fight. I'd have been pretty pissed off if I were Lesnar too.

He wasn't disrespectful at any point during his fight with Couture. Like him or not, he does his job well. He's a spectacle, and maybe he's a little over the top playing the WWE heel, but people are going to tune in to either see him dominate his next opponent, or tune in hoping to see him get his ass kicked. He puts asses in seats. Ultimately, UFC is in the business of making money, and that's exactly what Lesnar is doing for them.

Shane Carwin gets it....

"The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME. He may be a Champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a Champion. The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama it is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night...

It doesn't matter if you win or lose it matters HOW you win or lose ".

Source: Shane Carwin Blog

Lance Storm's take

Lesnar – Mir made me so happy. I’ve made no bones about the fact that I am a HUGE Brock Lesnar supporter and out right hate Frank Mir. I don’t know how much of Frank’s trash talking was legit arrogance and how much was hyping a fight, but that guy got under my skin and I wanted to see him get his ass handed to him. Brock Lesnar is a real life Incredible Hulk and when he first started in WWE we joked that he should only say 2 words in his promos. No matter what he was asked we thought it would be great if his only response was, “Brock Smash”. That’s what I wanted to see tonight and that’s what I got, BROCK SMASHED.

I took so much joy in watching Frank Mir get SMASHED. On the count down special Mir ran his mouth about all these technical moves Brock couldn’t do and after running through all these fancy names for moves, joked that he would explain them later to Brock if he was lost. Well he was right in that Brock didn’t do any of those moves; Brock just held him down and punched the shit out of him like a bully in grade school.

Brock’s post match promo is sure stirring up a lot of people and I’m guessing the vast majority of people would have been much happier if Brock’s only response to Joe Rogan after the fight was, “Brock Smashed”. Brock pissed off a lot of people, and while I agree burying a huge company sponsor (Bud Light) was a real bad move, I loved this promo. It was an awesome pro-wrestling style promo. The fans booed him, he flipped them off, and basically said he didn’t give a shit, he said he was going to beat Frank Mir and he did, and then he told them he was going to go home and jump on his wife. That was awesome, and anyone who doesn’t think so is a mark. That kind of heat draws money, all the hardcore MMA fans will be dying to see someone knock this guy off his throne, and that is money.

The one thing that disappointed me however was Dana White’s spin on the whole thing at the post fight press conference. He made Brock apologize for a lot of what he said (the Bud Light apology was the right call) and tried to explain that, that was Brock’s pro wrestling instincts kicking in and he didn’t want that in UFC. One reporter, who was very offended by Brock’s comments about Mir post fight, pointed out how others who trash talk seem to be able to hug at the end of the fight and show sportsmanship. Dana pointed out that UFC was real and we didn’t want any of the fake hype and pro-wrestling antics that Brock showed in his post match promo including flipping off the crowd.

I see things the exact opposite. Brock was the real deal and all the other guys are the fakers. How many times have we seen fights hyped with guys trash talking an burying their opponents only to see them touch gloves before each and every round, hug at the finish and then put over their opponent after the fight claiming all the trash talking was just hype to sell the fight. Brock genuinely (at least in my opinion) hated the fact that Frank Mir beat him in the first fight and wanted to kill him in the second one. He believed everything he said, and Frank’s cocky trash talking really pissed Brock off. Brock’s emotion was REAL, and he was so jacked up after the fight that he likely spoke, not from his head or likely even from his heart, but from that pure competitive rage that fuels a competitive combat athlete of that caliber. Brock sent a message, a simple and clear one: “If you mess with the Bull, you get the Horn” end of story.

In the Randy Couture fight, Couture was a total pro and so was Brock Lesnar. You treat Brock Lesnar with respect and as a professional, he acts like one. If you run your mouth, disrespecting him and do everything you can to piss him off, expect to see a very pissed off angry man come fight time. This goes back to what I said in the beginning, Brock Lesnar is a real life Incredible Hulk so the old saying holds true: “Don’t get him angry, you won’t like him when he gets angry.”

http://www.stormwrestling.com/071209.html

Mir talked shit for weeks leading up to it, and the fans have been booing Brock since the first time he set foot in the cage.

Well, people have been booing him from day one, because of all the special treatment he got from day one. Because he got his title shot without EVER having to defeat a top 10 opponent. Because they cast other more deserving fighters aside so that the WWE star could be in the main event. Because he never had to work his way up the ladder like every other MMA fighter has to do it. Because he is a rookie who gets paid more than the the veterans who have been fighting vale tudo when he was still doing gimmicks in the WWE. And because he’s not even humble enough to say thank you for the opportunity that he does not deserve.

Like him or not, he does his job well.

yeah... if his job is to be an ass

He's a spectacle, and maybe he's a little over the top playing the WWE heel, but people are going to tune in to either see him dominate his next opponent, or tune in hoping to see him get his ass kicked. He puts asses in seats. Ultimately, UFC is in the business of making money, and that's exactly what Lesnar is doing for them.

Sorry, but all that money does not justify his behavior. i always hated the mentality that at the end of the day, it’s all alright as long as it makes lots of money. I don’t subscribe to that way of thinking, the incredible greed, “profit at any cost, doesn’t matter who we have to step on, as long as it makes us rich”. It’s business without ethics. Not too long ago, people fought for a lot less money and under a lot less rules, and were happy to do it, for the chance to compete against the best.

And besides, lesnar can make just as much money without being a jerk. He may even pick up a few fans along the way. Does it have to be a choice, either make money or be a jerk? No, you can make money, live very comfortably, and still have show good sportsmanship (see GSP, Fedor, Anderson Silva, Rich Franklin). brock just chooses not to be an example of what not to do.

Hey lance storm! Haven’t heard from him for a while. I’m a lance storm fan from his days in ECW, when his tag team partner was Justin Credible! but I gotta disagree with him on this one.

Brock Lesnar is a real life Incredible Hulk

If you mean he’s a big bloated scripted cartoon character who only speaks in small words, then I’d have to agree with you. j/k, that’s mean. I’m sure lesnar is very literate.

Brock just held him down and punched the shit out of him like a bully in grade school.

YES, EXACTLY! And how this is a good thing?! he acted like a child, a bully in grade school. he was supposed to be acting like an adult, and a professional. That’s why I say lesnar has no skill or technique. You can’t even call him a real mixed martial artist, because he only does one thing (though he does it very well), which is the “donkey kong” move. Smother you under his massive weight and hit you in the head. the best you can say about him is he’s very good at executing his one dimensional gameplan, that's it.

The fans booed him, he flipped them off, and basically said he didn’t give a shit, he said he was going to beat Frank Mir and he did, and then he told them he was going to go home and jump on his wife. That was awesome, and anyone who doesn’t think so is a mark.

Awesome? Yeah, if you’re a 9 yr old WWE fanboy. It’s funny to me that storm is using pro wrestling lingo when talking about MMA. A mark is someone who believes pro wrestling is real. so is he saying the antics weren't real? is brock is dumb enough to bring his WWE acting into the world of professionals sports by playing a heel angle during the post fight interview?

in any case, these terms are meaningless outside of pro wrestling. There are no heels, faces, kayfabes, or canned heat in MMA or in any other sport. These antics belong only in pro wrestling, leave them there when you step into the world of real professional athletes.

I loved this promo. It was an awesome pro-wrestling style promo.

First off, it wasn’t a promo, it was an real interview. We're not looking for angles and it’s not the time to play heel. We're looking for real answers. if he wants to play heel, he needs to go back to pro wrestling. if those were his real honest answers, then he's just an unprofessional classless jerk.

Second, yes it was a great pro wrestling promo. problem is... this isn’t pro wrestling, it’s MMA. When you do that in WWE, it’s understood it’s an act. In real sports, your just an asshole. That’s why I said earlier, brock is has the mentality of a pro wrestler, not a professional MMA athlete.

That kind of heat draws money, all the hardcore MMA fans will be dying to see someone knock this guy off his throne, and that is money.

Again with the WWE Iingo. This “heat” is great way to build up a pro wrestling feud, but in real sports, you just look like a jerk and a bully (great thing is wrestling, not a good thing in real life). brock can’t seem to separate those two worlds. And yes it's gonna bring in money, but for who? brock... yes. dana white... yes. but what about the fighter who is only making $8000 a fight and trying to work his way up? what about the fans (like me) who are trying to show people MMA is not full of savages and brutes, but dedicated hard working professional athletes. this isn't helping them out at all.

as i mentioned before, i'm not a fan of people who put profit ahead of everything else. and all that precious money is not going to undo the damage and image his antics did to a sport that's still striving for legitmacy. on espn yesterday, there were two guys debating as to whether UFC was fake! One of the guys even said something along the lines of “it has to be fake because real athletes don’t act like that”. This is the sort of damage brock has done to the sport. but looks like brock doesn't care about the sport, only how much money he can make off it.

Brock’s post match promo is sure stirring up a lot of people and I’m guessing the vast majority of people would have been much happier if Brock’s only response to Joe Rogan after the fight was, “Brock Smashed”.

No, “brock smashed” would have also been dumb. What would be great would be a simple “wow, here I am, a rookie in this sport, and I have the chance to face a world class champion like Frank Mir. Appreciate your support. Thanks for the opportunity” You know… respect, humility, and gratitude to be given the chance that hundreds of other MUCH more deserving fighters should have received, but he got instead for the sole reason of his fame.

all the other guys are the fakers. How many times have we seen fights hyped with guys trash talking an burying their opponents, only to see them touch gloves before each and every round, hug at the finish.

Yeah, that’s a little thing called sportsmanship. I know it’s a foreign concept in scripted wrestling, but in the real world it’s a show of respect for a worthy opponent. It’s a gracious display of gratitude for the opportunity to compete against the best in the world. And even if you don’t like your opponent, it shows that you acknowledge he deserves to be respected. Even the most heated feuds in MMA (Shamrock/Ortiz, Penn/Pulver, Shamrock/Frye) the fighters still shake hands or embrace after they fight. brock has no class for refusing to show a champion like Frank Mir (who has way more experience and skill) that respect. We’re being asked to believe that lesnar is a professional fighter, so let him act like one.

Brock genuinely hated the fact that Frank Mir beat him in the first fight and wanted to kill him in the second one. He believed everything he said, and Frank’s cocky trash talking really pissed Brock off. Brock’s emotion was REAL.

Ridiculous! Everyone hates to lose and wants redeem themselves after a loss. but not everyone (in fact no one) acted as classless as lesnar did after this fight. And every MMA fighter has very REAL emotions that motivate them to win. Several times have fighters become so overwhelmed by emotion, they burst into tears after winning a title. The difference is brock seems to just has very childish emotions. his post fight interview was the equivalent of “I win you lose, suck it loser!” I expect that from a 10 yr old, but brock is a grown ass man. Behavior like that is just embarrassing. In the words of the great Bruce Lee speaking to his student in Enter The Dragon, “use your emotion, not your anger”. Most fighters understand what that means, too bad brock can’t grasp the concept.

UFC just announced another event, and it's coming to Texas!

i've seen the ticket prices for other events, and i doubt i'll be able to afford to see the event...

still it's a bit exciting to have a live UFC event is our state.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/9163-UFC103Poster.jpg

Tyson Griffin vs Hermes Franca sounds good,

and it's the return of Twinkle Toes Trigg, haha!

the winner of Mike Swick vs Martin Kampmann will get a title shot against GSP!

i wonder what the main event will be?

That’s why I say lesnar has no skill or technique. You can’t even call him a real mixed martial artist
What would be great would be a simple “wow, here I am, a rookie in this sport, and I have the chance to face a world class champion like Frank Mir.
brock has no class for refusing to show a champion like Frank Mir (who has way more experience and skill) that respect.

You must have missed the event. Mir got his ass beat.

There have been lots of fights where guys refuse to hug up afterwards. Emotions run high and can take a while to subside. It doesn't bother me at all.

I'm no fan of the breaks given to Lesnar but you can hardly hold that against him. It's up to your "experienced and skilled" fighters to prove he wasn't worth the money and opportunity. Right now they aren't doing that.

UFC just announced another event, and it's coming to Texas!

i've seen the ticket prices for other events, and i doubt i'll be able to afford to see the event...

still it's a bit exciting to have a live UFC event is our state.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/9163-UFC103Poster.jpg

Tyson Griffin vs Hermes Franca sounds good,

and it's the return of Twinkle Toes Trigg, haha!

the winner of Mike Swick vs Martin Kampmann will get a title shot against GSP!

i wonder what the main event will be?

to be honest I would just rather see Swick vs GSP then Kampmann vs. GSP. I want to see that swick speed agaisnt GSP .

You must have missed the event. Mir got his ass beat.

Yep I saw it, Mir got outpowered, not outskilled or outclassed. There’s a difference.

But hey, if people just wanna see a behemoth hit people in the head, why don’t they just give Butterbean a UFC contract too?

EDIT: even better, Shaq wants to fight in the UFC! Thank you brock! Your turning this into a circus already.

I also saw their first fight where brock got his ass beat, and tapped out to Frank Mir. I’ll point out that after that fight, even though Mir could have been a total jerk and say “you tapped out like a bitch!”, he didn’t do that. Mir shook his hand and only said good things about lesnar in his post fight interview. Why can’t brock be a man and do the same?

There have been lots of fights where guys refuse to hug up afterwards. Emotions run high and can take a while to subside. It doesn't bother me at all.

Come on, we all know that what brock lesnar did was far and beyond the WORST example in history, and done on the biggest scale. Can you remember anyone dissing the sponsors? can you remember anyone trying to do the amount of damage control dana white was doing? Even Shamrock and Ortiz shook hands after they fought, and they had buckets of bad blood between them for over 5 yrs! Would it kill brock to show some respect, to a man who already beat him once?

Emotions do run high, and brock’s emotion reflects that of an elementary school bully, not a fighter. I’m glad it doesn’t bother you, but reactions from the rest of the MMA community were nearly unanimous in dis gust.

I'm no fan of the breaks given to Lesnar but you can hardly hold that against him. It's up to your "experienced and skilled" fighters to prove he wasn't worth the money and opportunity. Right now they aren't doing that.

But what I can hold against him is his horrible reaction to the breaks he’s been given. Where most people would be incredibly thankful and appreciative, he acts like a spoiled child who just got the toy he’s been begging for. He doesn’t treat this opportunity like the gift that it is, he treats it like he’s god’s gift to MMA, his birthright and entitlement. All it takes is a little bit of gratitude and humility to get some fans on your side. But seems brock is determined to crap all over the sport, which for him is nothing but a new hobby and paycheck. You know what he is? HE’S A GIANT JUNIE BROWNING! HAHA!

Mike Tyson could have been world champion the day he went pro, but he had to work his way up before getting a title shot. Brock skipped all that, and maybe that’s why he thinks he has the right to act like a jerk. And he can weigh people down and donkey kong them from coast to coast, it doesn’t give him the right to be an asshole, and certainly doesn’t make him a good champion.

“We've spent a long time building a reputation of sportsmanship and camaraderie.

It was disappointing to see Lesnar go out there, both prefight and postfight, and kind of ham up the WWE antics and display this negative persona. It's not something a lot of us want to be associated with. That's kind of how I felt about it. I was dis gusted."

Randy Couture

Yep I saw it, Mir got outpowered, not outskilled or outclassed. There’s a difference.

But hey, if people just wanna see a behemoth hit people in the head, why don’t they just give Butterbean a UFC contract too?

EDIT: even better, Shaq wants to fight in the UFC! Thank you brock! Your turning this into a circus already.

WWE background aside, you realise that Lesnar is also a world class amateur wrestler, right? He's not just "strong"

I also saw their first fight where brock got his ass beat, and tapped out to Frank Mir. I’ll point out that after that fight, even though Mir could have been a total jerk and say “you tapped out like a bitch!”, he didn’t do that. Mir shook his hand and only said good things about lesnar in his post fight interview. Why can’t brock be a man and do the same?

Were you watching the same fight as the rest of us? Brock dominated that fight, but his inexperience with submission fighting allowed Mir to sneak in a leg lock and get the tap. He hardly got his ass beat.

Come on, we all know that what brock lesnar did was far and beyond the WORST example in history, and done on the biggest scale. Can you remember anyone dissing the sponsors? can you remember anyone trying to do the amount of damage control dana white was doing? Even Shamrock and Ortiz shook hands after they fought, and they had buckets of bad blood between them for over 5 yrs! Would it kill brock to show some respect, to a man who already beat him once?

Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz have all behaved in much the same manner, and got nowhere near as much grief for it.

Dissing the sponsor may have been a little much, but if Bud Light was really all that concerned with it, they would have pulled their sponsorship already. They're only in it for money, and they know this will bring big money.

WWE background aside, you realise that Lesnar is also a world class amateur wrestler, right? He's not just "strong"

Yes, and you do realize there are Olympic level wrestlers competing in MMA, right? He’s not exactly the only or even the best wrestler to cross over into MMA. What makes brock different from the other dozens of wrestlers in MMA? He is where he is because of two things; his fame and his massive chemically induced size, not just because he is a world class amateur wrestler.

Were you watching the same fight as the rest of us? Brock dominated that fight, but his inexperience with submission fighting allowed Mir to sneak in a leg lock and get the tap. He hardly got his ass beat.

Dominated? What… the first 60 seconds? The fight was only 90 secs long. Even in that short time, brock still managed to break the rules and be deducted a point because he was hitting Mir in the back of the head.

Now, are you saying you were impressed with brock in that fight? He fights like a sasquatch! And worse, he doesn’t even seem to have any ambition to become a great MMA fighter, just the richest one.

Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz have all behaved in much the same manner, and got nowhere near as much grief for it.

Not exactly a huge fan of any of those fighters either, but obviously brock’s getting the most heat from it because he did it on the biggest stage. This is a moment in time when MMA is about to break into the mainstream. they told the world to tune in to see “the biggest UFC event of all time” and see their new heavyweight star. what they got was this clown acting like he’s at wrestlemania. Everyone’s outraged because his actions overshadowed everything else that they been working for up to that point. The next day people were not talking about the UFC, they were talking about brock and his post fight stupidity. as dana white put it “I’m not a believer in ‘any publicity is good publicity’. I was horrified”.

Dissing the sponsor may have been a little much, but if Bud Light was really all that concerned with it, they would have pulled their sponsorship already. They're only in it for money, and they know this will bring big money.

It’s strange to me that everyone makes apologies for attacking the sponsors, but not for attacking people. Everyone acknowledges lesnar went too far with insulting a beer company, but some are still trying to defend his disrespect of REAL PEOPLE! If anything it should be the other way around. Why do the sponsors deserve respect and not the fighters? Is it the money again? I’m sorry, but I just can’t understand how making massive amounts of money will ever make it ok to disrespect fans, fighters, and the sport as a whole.

I'm coming round to your way of thinking. It's a shame that the best martial artist should be decided by something as uncouth as fighting.

We should have a system where periodically martial artists jump about to demonstrate they have learned the moves, and some kind of master can award them a coloured belt. That way we will know who is the most skilled.

Wasn't the Mir loss Brock's second mma fight? Kneebars and heel hooks were typical ways the inexperienced martial artists got nailed early on in the UFC. Not from a lack of technique, but from over-committing. In a year and a half Brock has tightened up his game to the point where someone who could expose that weakness last year is completely dominated in the return match.

You can disagree with Brock's past-fight antics if you like, but the Mir nuthugging on this thread makes you look ridiculous. The skill in mma is in winning.

I also don't understand why you are complaining about someone's size in a weight-limited category

It’s strange to me that everyone makes apologies for attacking the sponsors, but not for attacking people. Everyone acknowledges lesnar went too far with insulting a beer company, but some are still trying to defend his disrespect of REAL PEOPLE! If anything it should be the other way around. Why do the sponsors deserve respect and not the fighters? Is it the money again? I’m sorry, but I just can’t understand how making massive amounts of money will ever make it ok to disrespect fans, fighters, and the sport as a whole.

Simple. Mir talked mad amounts of shit leading up to the fight, beyond even the normal pre-fight trash talk. Mir was acting like a dick for weeks leading up to the fight, plain and simple. Lesnar was fed up with it and retaliated. Lesnar disrespecting him in return does not hurt the company in any way. As far as the fans, they were booing him, he flipped them the bird. Not that big a deal.

Insulting the sponsor could have potentially cost the entire company thousands of dollars. It didn't, obviously but the potential is there. Again, the bottom line is all about money.

http://www.ultimatecomputingonline.com/forums/gallery/files/1/picard_facepalm.jpg

UGH, I would expect this type on nonsense at sherdog, but not here.

You can disagree with Brock's past-fight antics if you like, but the Mir nuthugging on this thread makes you look ridiculous.

Now I know that sherdog mentality has invaded these boards. “nuthugging”? … please. I know you’ve run out of arguments when you stoop to using this term invented by jr high keyboard warriors.

Wasn't the Mir loss Brock's second mma fight?

Yes, exactly. That’s one of the points of all of this. It was only his second fight. What the hell did he do to deserve a fight against a top 10 opponent? Just more of the shortcuts he got blessed with b/c of his fame. He should’ve been working his way up like every other fighter. oh, of course, brock is special. he doesn't have to wait in line, he can skip ahead of everyone esle. who's the "nuthugger" here?

I also don't understand why you are complaining about someone's size in a weight-limited category

because all the other weight classes have a max of 20 lbs before you step up to the next division. Heavyweights have a 60lb(!) space to work with. sasquatch lesnar is one of the only fighters who actually has to cut weight to make it down to the 265 lb weight limit. That means he comes into the fight outweighing some opponents by up to 50 lbs. A fighter could come in 230 lbs with no weight cutting, and have to face lesnar, who because he cut weight, by the night of the fight weighs 280 lbs.

to give you an idea, this is the equivalent of Mac Danzig fighting Wanderlei Silva, or Rampage Jackson!

Simple. Mir talked mad amounts of shit leading up to the fight, beyond even the normal pre-fight trash talk. Mir was acting like a dick for weeks leading up to the fight, plain and simple. Lesnar was fed up with it and retaliated. Lesnar disrespecting him in return does not hurt the company in any way. As far as the fans, they were booing him, he flipped them the bird. Not that big a deal.

I love how you make it seem that Mir was the only one doing the talking, as if lesnar was all class thru the whole thing. trash talking is a two way street, why no mention of any of the idiotic trash lesnar was spewing as if he was channeling the glory days of pro wrestling. So could you give me an example of what Mir said that warrants this type of behavior? And why brock should be immune from this type of trash talk? Are his feeling more fragile than every other fighters? :*(

Awww…. did poor brock get his precious feeling hurt when the crowd booed him? Well he just needs to grow some tougher skin, because lots of fighters have to go thru that.

I can think of several times (like when Americans go fight in the UK, or the events that are held on military bases and a fighter has to face an ex-marine) where fighters get booed mercilessly, but end up winning the crowd over by showing respect and humility. In other words, being a professional, something beyond the grasp of brock’s dumb macho high school jock way of thinking.

Insulting the sponsor could have potentially cost the entire company thousands of dollars. It didn't, obviously but the potential is there. Again, the bottom line is all about money.

The end always justifies the means then huh. Profit before people. Wonderful.

I contend that there is a way to make money and show sportmanship at the same time, the way champions like Anderson Silva, GSP, Fedor Emilianenko, and Lyoto Machida do.

Even now, brock is getting special treatment. Because if anybody else pulled a stunt like that, nobody would be defending it.

There are no excuses for the way brock acted. The problem is not the fans booing or fighters talking trash, its brock’s warped hulk smash mentality. And people defending him are only encouraging him to do the exact same thing next time.

Geez, seems i'm alone here. I really can’t believe they’re so many Vegan fans of this meathead (no pun intended), lol

Now I know that sherdog mentality has invaded these boards. “nuthugging”? … please. I know you’ve run out of arguments when you stoop to using this term invented by jr high keyboard warriors.

I didn't realise you were even making arguments. What exactly is it you think you are arguing for? Brock to come in lighter next fight? Brock to refuse opportunities that are given him?

If you have a problem with the way he advanced to the title then your problem is with Dana and the UFC, not with Brock. There isn't a fighter in the world who would turn down a title shot. Especially one they believe they can win. The fact that he has won the title and humiliated your "more skilled" fighter shows that those who decided to fast-track him were correct. The quality in the UFC heavyweight division is terrible.

That means he comes into the fight outweighing some opponents by up to 50 lbs. A fighter could come in 230 lbs with no weight cutting, and have to face lesnar, who because he cut weight, by the night of the fight weighs 280 lbs.

Ah, now I understand. Thank you for the lesson in weight categories

But ideally, what is it you would like big bad Brock to do? What can he do to make you happy? Not use his weight advantage? Let your more skilled fighter up instead of sitting on top of him?

I can think of several times (like when Americans go fight in the UK, or the events that are held on military bases and a fighter has to face an ex-marine) where fighters get booed mercilessly, but end up winning the crowd over by showing respect and humility. In other words, being a professional

And I can think of many other times where this didn't happen. Witness model professional Marvin Hagler's treatment in London.

Geez, seems i'm alone here. I really can’t believe they’re so many Vegan fans of this meathead (no pun intended), lol

Who said anything about being a fan of Brock?

I am no fan of brock. But I would not pass up the gifts that the UFC has given him. I want him to lose so bad, but I dont think that there is presently anyone besides perhaps Fedor who is going to get the upper hand. I think that brock is going to dictate the fights through grinding and pounding . I could be wrong and I hope that I am.

I think flipping off the crowd was low end. I dont think that anyone expects more from him. I dont think that anyone is necessary excusing his conduct, they are just allowing the fact that he is a dumb wild animal. I mean if a lion suddening ate someone in the octogon we would be too shocked.

I agree that perhaps even his large hands might be a product of growth hormone. Surely the rest of his body appears to be along with his head. He has admitted that he did very poorly in school or structured enviroments, and just couldnt wait to go one on one physically. He is a primitive thinking person. I think that he is too suited for the violence of the octogon.

HOw long til crocop runs back to europe after seeing what brock did to Mir. I just remember what fedor did to crocop when crocop tried to kick him. Brock would throw him around like a rag doll.

Ah, now I understand. Thank you for the lesson in weight categories

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic, LOL. But umm… you’re welcome.

I didn't realise you were even making arguments. What exactly is it you think you are arguing for? Brock to come in lighter next fight? Brock to refuse opportunities that are given him?

If you have a problem with the way he advanced to the title then your problem is with Dana and the UFC, not with Brock. There isn't a fighter in the world who would turn down a title shot. Especially one they believe they can win.

Sweet baby jesus, i’m just repeating myself now. Maybe you should re-read my other posts. but again… the problem is with the way brock treats these opportunities that have been gifted to him. for the limited amount of experience and skill he has, the UFC bends over backwards for the guy. you would think he would do his best to represent the sport in a positive way instead of making it a joke. This ties in to the next question.

But ideally, what is it you would like big bad Brock to do? What can he do to make you happy?

Egads man, its like i’m talking to a wall. It should be clear what I want brock to do by now. Be a professional, show some respect, show some class, stop being a disrespectful douche. Stop being a pro wrestler and start being an MMA fighter. Stop complaining he doesn’t get enough money. I don’t really care that he dissed the sponsors, Bud Light. I don’t drink and don’t give a damn about their company. It’s the nerve of him complaining about money, when by his 3rd fight he was already getting paid better than fighters who are in the Hall of Fame.

I’ll just repost this quote that sums it up.

“We've spent a long time building a reputation of sportsmanship and camaraderie.

It was disappointing to see Lesnar go out there, both prefight and postfight, and kind of ham up the WWE antics and display this negative persona. It's not something a lot of us want to be associated with.”

The quality in the UFC heavyweight division is terrible.

hmmm.... So in your opinion, it’s not that brock is so great, it’s that his competion is just bad?