Trouble gaining weight

I’ve lifted weights off and on for 25 years. I never could gain much weight, no matter what I ate.

Here’s some background:

Male, 5’7”

In ‘94 I went Vegan, and lost too much weight from low calorie diets(I had read that people don’t need so much protein, and restricted calorie diets are good for you).

1992 – 140 lbs (S.A.D. diet)

1994 – Went Vegan

1995 – 125 lbs

1996 - tried eating more nuts, seeds & oil. No change in weight.

1999 - Started using Soy powder with fruit and juice.

2002 - I found out that oil should be included with protein powder.

2006 - I’m now into Rice powder.

Do the sources of the protein matter? I always figure that Amino acids are Amino acids.

How much oil should be taken with a 25gram serving of powder? How much carbs?

Welcome! Please post an intro in the Introductions section so we can all properly welcome you as well.

I started out as a 120-pound vegan and over time I started to eat more and incorporated weight training and it made a difference.

I got stuck at 160 pounds for a while but then again boosted up my food intake (much more protein) and trained harder and smarter.

I got up to over 190 pounds and currently hover around 182 pounds.

Here are some of the things I ate to help me grow. Hopefully some will be helpful ideas for you:

Nutrition Programs by Vegan Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke

Keep in mind these programs have not been approved by the FDA or any other authority on nutrition. They are designed for active vegans of all types from the serious athlete to the fitness enthusiast. The 6 meals a day plan helps keep your body in an anabolic state with a positive nitrogen balance and will keep you nourished throughout the day. Eating frequent meals will also speed up metabolism, your body's ability to burn fat.

The programs listed may incorporate more foods than you are used to eating in one day, but remember they were created by a bodybuilder

Healthy Food Defines You - Train Hard Eat Plenty

Enjoy, and happy eating!

Mostly Raw Food Bodybuilding Nutrition Program

7AM

Bowl of mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)

½ grapefruit

2 bananas with natural peanut butter

Multivitamin

16oz orange juice

10AM

Bowl of mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts)

2-4 servings of dates

16oz fruit smoothie with Vega meal replacement powder

1PM

Bean/Broccoli salad (Kidney beans, garbanzo beans, broccoli, spinach, snow peas, green beans, carrots, green peppers, romaine lettuce).

Potato wedges with vegan dressing

16oz fruit smoothie with Vega meal replacement powder

16oz water

4PM

Spinach, kale, and cabbage leaves with broccoli, olives, pine nuts, and sliced tomatoes.

Snow peas and green beans

1 large peach or nectarine

16oz water

7PM

Large vegetable platter with hummus

Sliced yams with vegan seasoning

Lentil and black bean soup

16oz fruit smoothie with protein powder and G-glutamine supplement

10PM

2 servings of mixed seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds)

2 servings of seaweed chips

16oz soymilk

Moderate Protein/Calorie Intake Bodybuilding Nutrition Program

7AM

Fruit smoothie with orange juice, strawberries, blueberries, bananas and Vega Meal Replacement Powder

Bowl of vegan cereal with soymilk

2 bagels with hummus

Multivitamin

16oz water

10AM

Raw Food bar

1 bowl of citrus fruit

2 servings of protein mix (peanuts, pumpkin seeds, soynuts, granola, sunflower seeds, almonds)

16oz water

1PM

4 servings of marinated tofu

2 yams

Large green salad

16oz natural fruit juice

4PM

Vega Meal Replacement Powder mixed with 12oz juice or water

2 bananas with almond butter

16oz water

7PM

4 slices of homemade vegan pizza

Plate of brown rice, green beans, kidney beans, and peas.

16oz chocolate soymilk

10PM

4 servings of seaweed chips

2 servings of pineapple

16oz water

Mostly fruit and Veggie Nutrition Plan

7AM

2 kiwis

2 sliced peaches or nectarines

Fruit smoothie with Vega Meal Replacement powder

Multivitamin

16oz citrus juice

10AM

Slices of cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon

Bowl of mixed nuts

Celery sticks with peanut butter

16oz water

1PM

Large plate of mashed potatoes with mushrooms, carrots, peas, green beans, and broccoli.

Green salad with lettuce, spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, olives, and sprinkled seeds or nuts.

16oz fruit juice

16oz water

4PM

Fruit salad (slice up apples, pineapple, banana, peaches, and pears

Green salad with sprinkled nuts and seeds

16oz fruit juice or soymilk

7PM

Corn on the cob (or off the cob)

Steamed eggplant or squash.

Brown rice and beans with mixed veggies

16oz protein smoothie

10PM

Vegetable soup

Soy crisps or seaweed chips

16oz almond milk

High Protein/High Calorie Bodybuilding Nutrition Program

7AM

2 cups oatmeal

2 vegan pancakes

Hemp protein drink (Vega)

8oz soymilk

Multivitamin supplement

10AM

Soy jerky

Hemp protein smoothie (orange juice, protein powder, strawberries, banana, ice cubes)

4 soy yogurts

8oz orange juice with glutamine powder

1PM

4 slices of vegan pizza

Pea protein smoothie (soymilk, protein powder, strawberries, banana, ice cubes)

Tortilla and hummus

Mixed nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts)

4PM

Soy crisps with almond butter

3 bananas

8oz soymilk

7PM

Baked tofu wedges

Summer squash

Refried beans

Avacado

8oz pineapple juice with glutamine powder

10PM

Soy/hemp/pea protein smoothie (soymilk, protein powder, strawberries, banana, ice cubes)

2 soy yogurts

Vitamin and mineral supplements

General Bodybuilding Nutrition Program

7AM

1 bowl of Hi-Lo Cereal with soymilk

1 Soy Yogurt

1 Banana

All vitamins taking today

24oz water

10AM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake

2 whole pieces of fruit

16oz water

1PM

Mock Meat Meal

Bowl of potatoes, broccoli & carrots

24oz water

4PM

Mixed raw nuts, unsalted (cashews, walnuts, almonds)

Vega bar

16oz water

7PM

Tofu/vegetable stir-fry (variety of veggies)

Spinach, lettuce, cabbage salad w/kidney beans/chickpeas

12oz chocolate soymilk

16oz water

10PM

Protein or Meal Replacement shake

Lentil Soup with crackers or wheat bread

12oz water

By Robert Cheeke

Founder/President

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

www.veganbodybuilding.com

I dont think the protein powders will really help out much. I have consumed them for about 4 years and I put on 15 lbs. I've stopped consuming them, and I dont know what I weigh, but I can see they were not really helping me in any way. You take them with oil though so maybe thats great, and it might just be they didnt work for me. It's your call.

Personally I always took my high protein foods with carbs...and my oil rich food with carbs. The only time I really ate high protein with high fat was when I was eating meat and I got stronger as soon as I stopped doing that...Daywalker confirmed this with me...oil(even good veggie sources) probably lower protein consumption unless the fat is fairly minimal...but then again when I was big I was eating many different kinds of foods every hour. I think maybe you were eating the right foods but maybe your appetite just isn't adequate to gain significant muscle. If you were born to be thin and don't have a rediculous appetite like I did it takes almost as much will power to eat as it does to gain muscle.

Thanks for the replies.

Before going vegan, I ate 3,000 calories a day. That maintained my 140 lbs. So, I am naturally thin.

So I thought protein powder would be the answer: extra protein yet easy and fast to digest. I don't eat more than 3 meals a day because it's too filling and makes me tired. Again, protein powder doesn't cause those problems.

In this forum, beans and nuts are mentioned a lot. I eat grain 3 times as often as beans because, from the labels, they seem similar in protein and carb percentages. People say beans have more protein. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies.

Before going vegan, I ate 3,000 calories a day. That maintained my 140 lbs. So, I am naturally thin.

So I thought protein powder would be the answer: extra protein yet easy and fast to digest. I don't eat more than 3 meals a day because it's too filling and makes me tired. Again, protein powder doesn't cause those problems.

In this forum, beans and nuts are mentioned a lot. I eat grain 3 times as often as beans because, from the labels, they seem similar in protein and carb percentages. People say beans have more protein. Am I missing something?

Beans might digest easier and more of the protein be absorbed, but you want to eat smaller meals, that's the trick to making them more frequent, and with some easy to eat calorie dense foods (ie: Peanut Butter, beans, protein bars, etc.), you can easily get higher than 3,000 calories.

• 2 months later...

Protein is just the source for amino acids, to provide the building blocks for more muscle. Just because you have a load of wood doesn't mean you can make a house. You need all the other nutrients (contractors and workers) to build the muscle (house). Leafy green foods, raw fruits and vegetables, and many of the other foods that contain enzymes, trace minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients.

So pouring protein powder down your digestive tract doesn't make for bigger muscles. Well, protein won't be the bottleneck for the your progress. It has to be something else.

Three meals a day is what a normal sedentary person eats. I eat every two hours (even if it is just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich) just to keep digesting food and processing it at its max to repair the damage I've done to my body in the gym.

25 years of doing the same thing? That is the seductive call of the weights. What you need to do now is get serious and start trying different things. Document stuff too so you can remember precisely what worked and what didn't work. Try eating something new, try lifting weights a new way (how about just lifting heavy and that is it. No cardio. Just ripping some muscle fibers - 1 set warmup, maybe another set with medium weight to prepare more for the next set, and then max out with 4 reps of the heaviest weight you can lift) and let them repair all the way to get a solid bigger foundation to rip again.

I have a general question about bulking: Is it right that in order to gain weight you must eat more than your hunger calls for? And how long must I keep doing this before my body adjusts and I can go back to eating "normally", meaning I'm not content with the previous amount of food anymore and intuitively eat more....

The reason I'm asking is that I've tried bulking but only noticed a gain in Body-Fat. So after gaining 6 lbs. I've dropped it and went back to eating to when I feel like it or when it's possible. I notice that I'm not gaining weight but am becoming more and more cut.... as an aside, I've started BB one year ago so maybe I just was plain too fat to begin with

I have a general question about bulking: Is it right that in order to gain weight you must eat more than your hunger calls for? And how long must I keep doing this before my body adjusts and I can go back to eating "normally", meaning I'm not content with the previous amount of food anymore and intuitively eat more....

The reason I'm asking is that I've tried bulking but only noticed a gain in Body-Fat. So after gaining 6 lbs. I've dropped it and went back to eating to when I feel like it or when it's possible. I notice that I'm not gaining weight but am becoming more and more cut.... as an aside, I've started BB one year ago so maybe I just was plain too fat to begin with

Well, there have been studies that show that eating like a bodybuilder (every few hours instead of stuffing yourself 3 times a day) is better for your body, as humans are supposed to be "grazers" like most other animals living outside.

I'd say that while lifting weights, your body will let you know you need extra food/calories because of the activity needed for muscle recovery.

As for "when to start eating normally again", if you put on 10 extra pounds of muscle, I'd guess that your caloric needs would rise a bit to maintain it.

With my body genetics and chemistry, I like to eat small little meals every 2-3 hours to be able to process the food and get the maximum amount of nutrients I need to repair my muscles. Now in the bulking phase I increase the amount of food (actually protein/superfood shakes in between the three main meals) to support the heavier lifting. I also let myself indulge in food like rice cream bars and muffins and other sweets because once I begin cutting, they will not be allowed. So I gain about 25 extra pounds and look like a very big girl. I think my metabolism is very high at this point by processing all this food, so when I start to decrease calories (like no muffins, just plain power porridge (cooked amaranth, millet, quinoa, and steel cut oats, and all plain brown rice, lentils, and cooked chickpeas) I loose fat pretty fast at first. The 25 lbs of extra fat goes, and then it is balance of calories, losing the last layer of fat over the muscles/under the skin and then between the muscles (ripped look), and above all keeping the muscle. I go down about 10-20lbs in lifting weight, so I know I am losing muscle mass. This I know from three years of BB contests and know what my body can do, so 25lbs of fat don't scare me as long as I know that my weights are increasing too. What was new for me as a vegan BB was how I am not hungry for my meals these past two weeks. I just discipline myself to eat, and today I didn't have any of my last shakes and am feeling pretty fatigued right now. So I know I need them to feel better at the end of the day.

I can squeeze alot of food in my body without hurling...I used to love that feeling of not being able too move...well I still like it but I can't do it anymore