Vegan Outreach Adopt a College

robert

I'm ordering some pamphlets right now thanks to me having money and time. This snow day is really helping me tie up some loose ends. I was supposed to do this 2 weeks ago. Bleh i'm a little behind.

I plan on recieving lots of resistance and anger from people who don't like to think about what they eat and are comfortably numb. Hopefully i'll make as many friends as i make enemies.

edit- Just ordered 100 pamphlets. Hopefully i'll be passin em out next week!!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Latest newsletter:

This issues is sponsored by Vegetarian Shoes and Bags

Notes from Vegan Outreach

New Record!

Already this semester, Adopt a College activists have handed 364,906 booklets directly to students on campuses across the continent. This is already tens of thousands more than the previous record!

Thanks so much to everyone whose hard work and donations have made this possible!

Shopping

Searching for items in addition to Vegetarian Shoes and Bags? If shopping on-line, start at Greater Good or iGive -- a percentage of your purchases through participating merchants goes to print and distribute more Vegan Outreach booklets. Links to those and other shops at our website!

Run for Their Lives!

Vegan Outreach is teaming up with Marathon Matt to raise money for the Adopt a College program. Team Vegan members will be professionally trained (in the Bay area or via e-mail) to run the Santa Cruz Half Marathon/10k on April 13, 2008. All ages and exercise levels welcome!

We know that when we leaflet colleges, we create new vegetarians -- it's that simple. Every new vegetarian puts pressure on the meat industry, helps the veggie food world grow, and most importantly, spares dozens of animals a year from fear and pain.

When you join Team Vegan and raise $1,000 from your friends and co-workers, you'll be responsible for creating dozens of new vegetarians! Check out the details at http://veganhealth.org/colleges/run/home and please forward to everyone you know.

We need your help to expand our leafleting work -- thank you, and we'll see you in Santa Cruz!

Product of the Week

Jesse: Organic Naturepops Lollipops. I was searching for candies I could give my class as a reward for doing outstanding work. I found these lollipops and they are truly delicious. The flavors taste very intense.

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous products can be found on-line.

Notes from All Over

Vegans Give Thanks

"The aroma of stuffing, gravy and potatoes filled a banquet hall decked out in the browns and oranges of the holiday, but Thanksgiving's most well-known symbol and main course was absent from the gathering. No turkey, no worries, said the majority of people who attended the second Vegan Thanksgiving Day Feast. ... More than 130 vegans and vegetarians celebrated the holiday by bringing their favorite nonmeat dishes to the potluck feast."

Full article on-line, with more pictures.

Notes from Our Members

I've been really struggling these past few days -- Thanksgiving is hitting me hard. The thought of all those turkeys being slaughtered, the suffering they endured beforehand ... well, let's just say that I've burst out in tears more than once lately. I even wondered if I'd have to skip Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house -- everyone there eats meat. How could I handle it? How could I do anything but sob at the table?

Then VO's Thanksgiving e-newsletter arrived. Reading it, along with "A Meaningful Life," was a true lifesaver for me.

As I awaken more and more to the animals' plight, I sometimes feel like I can't -- don't even want to -- manage in this world. But giving up isn't possible, and secluding myself with others "like me" isn't the answer (as you point out on VO's website). Your reminder to cultivate balance and patience and even JOY sounds right to me; that's what can keep me going strong so I can help the animals. And that's what I want to do -- MORE THAN ANYTHING.

Heartfelt gratitude to everyone at Vegan Outreach. We'll get there. We will.

-MT, 11/21/07

At Camosun College in Victoria, BC, a student mentioned to Sarat that he had previously received a booklet and is now veg. Another student to whom I had given a booklet returned later to tell me that he's convinced. He then happily accepted a Guide to Cruelty-Free Eating. The funniest comment was from a tough-looking guy who accepted an Even If earlier. On his way back from the cafeteria, he was holding four muffins and said to me "I'm going all muffin."

-John Bowers, 11/22/07

Leafleting at the Thanksgiving Parade in Charlotte, NC was a terrific day of outreach! One college student came up to me with his friend and said that he had a conversation with me about vegetarianism on the Winston-Salem State campus and was so happy to see me out here again. He thanked me for leafleting and said that it's really making a difference - his friend eagerly took a WV. Another gentleman said he had received a veg leaflet from me at Livingstone College a couple of weeks back. And a college-aged woman told her group of six friends that this is the literature she had received elsewhere and was telling them about earlier and insisted that they read it. All six of them excitedly took literature. Too many other positive comments to report, but one of the best came as I was walking back to my car: a woman I had just leafleted said that she was very happy to have received a booklet and planned on working towards becoming a vegetarian. Her mother said the same thing and b

oth thanked me profusely for being out there.

My previous form of activism -- lots of chant-filled protests -- was so much more confrontational and less effective than simply distributing pro-veg literature. Although it took awhile, I'm glad I'm much more strategic now -- it's not only better for the animals but less stressful on me.

-Dawn Ratcliffe, 11/22/07

This site looks great, I will certainly be doing outreach when I start school in 8 weeks (luckily I still can pass for 20 or 21 as I will be a 22 credit freshman

And actually the school I will be going to, SUNY Purchase, was named among the top 10 vegetarian-friendly campuses in the country by Peta 2... they have a vegetarian/vegan restaurant, so I am pretty psyched...