Pimples and upset stomach?

robert

This is from my female vegan bodybuilding friend on myspace again. Any tips for her?

----------

Oh - and feel free to post this one as well:

Because seriously, there is something wrong with my system and it's not a cleansing process since it's been a month now.. but my stomach and my whole system has never been more unhappy with me. I never had these kind of problems when I still ate eggs and fish, and now all of a sudden Ive got pimples all over my face!! now THAT Im not happy with. I don't know what it is becaus eI don't eat processed foods at all! I make 95% of my foods from scratch and I eat a good variety, I take chlorella as well as kelp and also multi vitamines.. I regularly drink miso soup for the good taste as well as the health benefits. I I drink fresh veg juice at least 3 times a week (that I make myself) and plenty of fresh stuff every day, fruit and veggies. All kinds. Ive tried to eat more fiber, Ive tried to cut it out.. and I live out of herbal teas - all kinds. I also get the good fats and plenty of it. With that, fresh nuts. and plenty of legumes - all kinds to get a wide variety of foods to avoid any kind of allergy (since Im a bit sensitive to gluten, preservatives, lactoses (which is no longer an issue), colorings and yeast)

I eat approximately 5-7 meals a day, small ones since I can't work on a full stomach. Most fruits/veggies, less grains. Because I like fruits/vegs the best and it's fast to eat and quick to prepare. I always chew my foods well.

I am stressed and that is not a secret - but this is ridiculous! (especially if Ill go all Gilligan McKeith and analyse my poo - Ill probably get told to quit drinking alcohol, stop eating saturated fat, eat more fruit and veggies and less red meat and preservatives - but I don't eat any of it.. I would probably get told to have a detox too - but what is more detoxing than fresh fruits (that I mix and drink and squeeze and whatnot), veggies (raw, cooked, baked, grilled, fresh juice, chopped, mashed...) and plenty of herban tea?). I also don't mix proteins with carbs (tofu with rice i.e, or tofu with anything but leafy vegs) to make it easier on my digestive system and it helps a little but not much. Ive tried food enzymes now for a while, but when I read the label and I saw it contained cow's bile - I got kind of ed... but it hasn't helped anyways.

And I don't WANT PIMPLES!

Sounds familiar?

Man, I am such a whiner..

How long have you eaten this way? According to Dr. Fuhrman, most people who change to a healthier diet feel worse before they feel better. Could it just be part of the transition? (Fuhrman is also against eating frequently throughout the day, as it doesn't give the bod time to detox).

Another thought: food allergies or intolerance (the stomach upset makes me think that). You could try an elimination diet: for a few days, eliminate any possible allergen (like soy) and just eat steamed rice and veggies, then gradually add in other foods that might be causing allergy/intolerance symptoms. If you do a web search, you can probably find more info on 'elimination diet.'

FYI: there are numerous vegan enzyme supplements available (so you don't have to take cow's bile!).

I don't think a month is enough for a detox unless you're fasting, with food it will take longer. With 5-7 meals a day the body won't be able to concentrate completely on cleansing. It will happen, but it will take longer. The same thing happened to me, lasted about 6 weeks or so, maybe a little more.

Just from my own experience, make sure she checks on her hormones. Did she start taking anything new that has some herbs in it? Some herbs can start to mess up your hormones, especially if you are detoxed and very sensitive to anything now.

• 3 months later...

What is a salt water flush?

Also, I've had severe hormonal acne for the majority of my teenage years and the one thing that's helped, other than going on a birth control pill, was taking Zinc supplements AND watching the amount of sugar (including fructose *Watch Gum too*) that I was taking. It's obviously also important for this person to know that if they've just started eating this way...it leads to detoxification, meaning the body is releasing toxins = pimples etc. Also, if this person consumes any salad dressings, I too found that the MSG content in some of them (if not organic) could give me breakouts AND headaches/upset stomach.

Hopefully she's feeling better!

• 2 months later...

Mostly what everyone else has said it all, but I just wanted to say maybe

have her look into getting colon hydrotherapy..

(the gravity centered method).. I feel it is MUCH less uncomfortable

and tramatic to the system than salt water flushes (which I extremely

dislike, but LOVE colonics ).

I also recommend colon hydrotherapy because more often than not

pimples are a result of waste accumulation within the system,

a colonic takes care of that issue

just my 2 cents.

On Friday night I went to see a lecture by raw foodist and author Victoria Boutenko. This makes me think of something she said.. she mentioned some of the symptoms of not having enough hydrochloric acid for digestion, one of those symptoms being acne. Thought it might be worth mentioning..

just my 2 cents.

You really think SWF's are uncomfortable? I've never tried any other kind of cleansing method, but I find they're okay...once you get past the taste.

Here are some things that have bothered my stomach being vegan.

1. Too much chocolate - you did not indicate you are having chocolate but just in case

2. Too much caffeine - maybe cut back on so much green tea and try herbal teas

3. Herbs in many vegan vitamins - I tried all of them and finally tried Megafoods which work great for me and do not upset my stomach. Unfortunately, they are the most expensive but my tummy is worth it.

Maybe one of these ideas will help you.

just my 2 cents.

You really think SWF's are uncomfortable? I've never tried any other kind of cleansing method, but I find they're okay...once you get past the taste.

ah yes.. very! and the unpredictability of it all.

At least with a colonic I get a massage and good conversation with it,

rather than running to the bathroom and not knowing when to leave the

house. I don't have to exert any energy or effort when getting a

gravity centered colonic, I do with the SWF's...

just my 2 cents.

ah yes.. very! and the unpredictability of it all.

At least with a colonic I get a massage and good conversation with it,

rather than running to the bathroom and not knowing when to leave the

house. I don't have to exert any energy or effort when getting a

gravity centered colonic, I do with the SWF's...

I guess so. I do them on my days off (or when I don't have to be in work), and kind of got the feel for how much a quart (or more) takes, but I've just never felt any sort of discomfort, and found it interesting that used that term.

Unpredictability is one of the main adjectives I'd also use to describe it though.

• 2 weeks later...

What are Salt Water flushes?

I've heard of Hot Water Therapy - My cousin & her husband would drink a tall glass of hot water every morning.. on a regular basis. They said that the first few times your poop will be super dark / almost black in color.

They do it on a consistent basis everyday.

(I am not sure if they add salt to the water or not)

PS: We always do Salt Water Gargle when we have a sore throat.

What are Salt Water flushes?

I've heard of Hot Water Therapy - My cousin & her husband would drink a tall glass of hot water every morning.. on a regular basis. They said that the first few times your poop will be super dark / almost black in color.

They do it on a consistent basis everyday.

(I am not sure if they add salt to the water or not)

PS: We always do Salt Water Gargle when we have a sore throat.

Basically you eat easy to digest (pretty much raw) foods the day before, then the next morning you drink 1 quart of warm water with 1 heaping teaspoon of uniodized sea salt, and what basically comes out is kind of like diahrea (spelling?).

• 5 months later...

I didn't have time to read this whole thread(my 1 year old is hyper hyper hyper today)but robert my stomach had been queezy CONSTANTLY for the last 3 years of my life with pimples I litterally put 3 things on my face at night just to make them almost go away. I evidently have a wheat allergy and since being off of wheat for the last 3 weeks, my stomach finally feels better and my skin is starting to clear without having to put anything on it. Maybe it's a food allergy.

I didn't have time to read this whole thread(my 1 year old is hyper hyper hyper today)but robert my stomach had been queezy CONSTANTLY for the last 3 years of my life with pimples I litterally put 3 things on my face at night just to make them almost go away. I evidently have a wheat allergy and since being off of wheat for the last 3 weeks, my stomach finally feels better and my skin is starting to clear without having to put anything on it. Maybe it's a food allergy.

sigh.... I have a 3 page thread in here somewhere about my months of bad skin since going Vegan

Yes, my acne problem has been going on for well over two months with no relief in site. And it was shortly after I became very strict with the Vegan eating that it happened. I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of them. Even though I have found some solutions to get rid of the existing ones, about three new ones crop up every single day so it feels that I'll never get it under control

I just saw a Vegan client at the beginning of the week and she is experiencing the same problem. Said it happened as soon as she went Vegan.

We both had the same story. Perfect skin our entire lives and then horrible skin when we went Vegan. I wish more people would talk about this and then maybe we'd have some more consistent solutions. It seems more common amongst women. Sometimes I don't even like to go out in public because of it. It's the only thing in my life over the past few months that has been really really depressing.

So, I don't have any solutions, but tell your friend that she is not alone

veggie princess, have you tried putting straight apple cider vinegar on your face with a cotton ball and sleeping with it on over night? It works for a ton of my customers, and it worked really well for me before I developed the wheat allergy. It's stinky but worth it.