Voluntary Human Extinction?

veganmadre

I have a friend here at work who is a part of VHEMT - the voluntary human extinction movement. She linked me to these articles today. I'm curious about what you all think about this? Is anyone of a similar thought process? Who disagrees and why?

I'll contribute my two cents, later. I'd rather gather opinion first. I'm on the fence on several issues anyway...

http://www.radaronline.com/features/2006/12/les_knight.php

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20953439-5007146,00.html

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is an effort to change things...before we're extinct we would prep the planet to repair itself as much as possible without us. I don't completely agree with it but at the same time I don't have that many big issues with it. After all...even working to clean up the environment produces alot of waste.

Are you guys serious about this? I must say I'm quite offended. How can you seriously say that everything would be better without us? I agree that things could be a lot better but this is the easy way out! Take your responsiblity, aim for a better world. Why not try and create a world without suffering?

Even if I thought extinction was a good idea, realize that it won't work. All the poeple that would go extinct are the people that do care. How do you want to convince the people that don't care? If you can't you're leaving a world behind that's populated with the uncaring.

Maybe we could help to make the world better but in that effort we would at best be highly taxing the ecosystem(just less than we are now) unless we had a huge population decrease. What on this planet is better thanks to humans??? Other than maybe the exhistance of vegan ice cream and peanut butter...humans do no good for anything but humans and its not our job to do good for animals(wild ones to be exact)...its better that we leave them alone and we can't do that if we're everywhere they look. Look at the simple problem of road kill...we'd have to stop driving over 10mph just to solve that issue.

I don't agree with the movement itself, but I can't say i disagree with the idea, not because i want our population to go extinct, but for the mere reason that i want our population size to decrease, and obviously, not everybody is going to agree with the idea, and even if they did, i don't think that'd be a problem, not for ''the last ones'', neither for the environment.

So, whether we go extinct or not, all i really want is for a smaller global population.. we don't have to go extinct, but let's act like rationals and start controlling the size of our population..

I am doing my part....no reproduction. I do think Homosapiens has over-populated Earth. But the VHEMT's will become extinct, while others may continue to over-populate. Maybe we need more Gay people?
It's the vegan conspiracy! Vegans just want everyone to turn gay and become extinct!

How can you seriously say that everything would be better without us? I agree that things could be a lot better but this is the easy way out! Take your responsiblity, aim for a better world. Why not try and create a world without suffering?
Well, yes, that is what i try to do in my own lifetime, but one also has to think about the future.

I know. I was just trying to bring on a wee smile.

Watching how heavy and unfit so many Americans are, I wonder if fast food, packaged food and empty food will lead to loss of population? Will there be a XXXXX size??

Seriously, I am greatly concerned for our Earth and it's health and future. Do you suppose there will be a new virus.......like the "bird flu" pandemic, that will take many lives. Do any of you think that this is the Earth's way of "correcting" the imbalance of population?

I love life, I love babies (a young artist friend of mine has a 3 month old boy) and am constantly reminded how miraculous this planet is.

Do I hear Enya singing in the background?

Hell yeah, more gay people!

I think people should definitely do what they can to have a positive impact on the future of the planet, and for future lives, and the environment. But I don't think people should feel obligated to reproduce. I don't think that people should have the attitude of "Well I just want us to be extinct, so who cares what I do now, we'll all die out anyhow". That would be lazy, and selfish. But I think it's reasonable to have the attitude of - avoiding causing damage to the environment and other life while we're alive, and also minimizing the amount of humans in the future (by not reproducing), to prevent the level of destruction that humans will be capable of. Bare in mind that every child that is born will pretty much be guaranteed to have a big negative impact on the environment, if they live in the Western world. Use of electricity, production of waste etc etc, there is no real need to reproduce, nothing is lost by not having a child.

I think it would be good if humans could completely reverse their way of doing things, and live harmoniously with other life on the planet. That is something I aim for too, but for me, that doesn't involve me having a child necessarily. If everybody on the planet was still living kind of tribal style, with minimal impact on the environment, no pollution, very low animal cruelty, I wouldn't see any point in aiming for extinction. But as things are now, it does seem a worthwhile solution; but ultimately, I don't think it will happen. There are enough people who are into having kids to keep reproducing, I don't think people should panic.

''Nothing is lost by not having a child''

I agree!

---

The good thing about nature, is that everytime we go too ''far'' something happen to kill thousands of us.. giving us another chance to learn and think about going too far, and to put the nature back in equilibrium, i'm not saying that i enjoy that, but if it didn't happen something worst, that we couldn't even imagine could happen.

There is nothing wrong with recognising that the world was in a better environmental and ecological state before it became infested with humans, and nothing wrong with having the return to that less destroyed and exploited state of planet as an ideal.

Take your responsiblity, aim for a better world. Why not try and create a world without suffering?

I am sure that we could say the same to you.

Although probably, we would do so in a less condescending way....

It is hardly as if voluntary non-reproduction with the above aim is irresponsible. I think that it's belligerent to come into this topic and express that it is.

How does producing a child or children help a human person to create a world without suffering ?

Even if I thought extinction was a good idea, realize that it won't work. All the people that would go extinct are the people that do care. How do you want to convince the people that don't care? If you can't you're leaving a world behind that's populated with the uncaring.

Got any better ideas ?

I think that adopting a child, or children, and raising them as ethically guided people is a wonderful idea for those who wish to raise a child or children.

It improves life for those who have been abandoned, or whose parents are unable to look after them (for example orphans or those from very deprived areas of the world)

On the other hand humans generating more children when the world already has many 'unwanted' children in need of a good home does considerably less, if anything, to counteract human overpopulation and the general decay of human society, in my opinion.

Take your responsiblity, aim for a better world. Why not try and create a world without suffering?

I am sure that we could say the same to you.

Although probably, we would do so in a less condescending way....

It is hardly as if voluntary non-reproduction with the above aim is irresponsible. I think that it's belligerent to come into this topic and express that it is.

Why is is "belligerent" to give my opinion when asked for? This was not a vhem appreciationtopic.

Who disagrees and why?

See?

And as matter of fact I'm doing the best I can to better the world. I'm sure a lot of you also to their best and I not mean to insult anyone. I just feel very strong about this.

I think nature will take care of us eventually but unfortunately the only witnesses to a human free earth will be cockroaches and people that live solely on spirulina

People will have pretty different views on this subject for different reasons, but I think it'll probably be more productive to focus on the reasoning and explanation for your own opinion, rather than putting other people down for their's. It'll go smoother, I think, if you explain why you disagree with their point