Tofutti Products Not Vegan

sydneyvegan

This is from www.Tofutti.com.

Most of our frozen dessert products use cane sugar. We assume that the sugar is refined with animal bone char since this is a fairly common procedure in the sugar refining industry. Please keep in mind that all sugar refining in this country is done by a handful of companies, who establish their own procedures for refining sugar. It is our understanding that if this process is used in bleaching the sugar, the bone char is actually extracted at the end of the procedure and no bone char remains within the finished sugar product

Yuck

Ahhh...well I'm not going to be eating Toffutti anymore...I figured they'd be AOK considering they are trying to be KOSHER too...not that kosher means vegan but sometimes bone char may be from pigs which I'd think would scare them away. Anyway...looks like Lil' Dreamers from now on

My vegan ice cream of choice is Good Karma Rice Divine. They say they are kosher and vegan. They use evaporated cane sugar for their sweetener. Appears they only have stores in the US and Canada so far, so sorry sydneyvegan from Australia.

Personally, I don't know a single vegan who stresses about sugar. Potter does, but then he eats it anyway.

I've stayed away from refined sugar for the past 12 years and I'm pretty "hardcore" about it

I actually thought everyone stayed away from refined sugar?

My father is a nutritionist and doesn't think many companies these days would take the risk of using animal products in sugar refining due to possible contamination issues, but I still stay away from it. I think it is a good idea in general to stay away from refined sugar, whether it is "vegan" or not.

Robert, it's only me whose (occasionally) have refined sugar. Ok, I admitted it.

Nope, you aren't alone. I'm willing to bet that at least 60% of the board has consumed refined sugar (even if inadvertently) within the past several months.

Potter, you'll probably want to forgo any future Panda Veg grubs, too, if you plan to skip the toffutti. I can almost guarantee that their sauces contain refined sugars.

I'm not dissing those who have high standards of veganism and strive to live as conscientiously as possible. I'm not a "hardline" vegan, myself. I avoid honey, milk, whey, eggs...But, I do sometimes drink a glass of wine that I haven't verified to be vegan before drinking it and I do add refined sugar to my coffee in the morning (it's that or artificial crap which I completely cut out of my diet 6 months ago).

Panda veg will not be getting a visit from me any time soon...once this terrible gigantic bag of potatoes my mom got me is gone I'm gonna be back on the raw/mostly raw diet.

They have a new Organic Ice Cream...so I've heard but I've never seen it. Maybe it has Organic High Fructose Corn Syrup...and Organic Hydrogenated Oils

Ick...that crap has aspertame in it

Bleck, that shit is poison! I broke out in hives on a regular basis for two years, finally figured out it was the aspertame I was putting in my coffee! Bleck! What else was it doing to me?

Making you crave working for a large corporation?

Ick...that crap has aspertame in it

Bleck, that shit is poison! I broke out in hives on a regular basis for two years, finally figured out it was the aspertame I was putting in my coffee! Bleck! What else was it doing to me?

Making you crave working for a large corporation?

Hehe, just got confirmation tonight that we are in fact formally invited to camp for the summer! Woot woot!

As far as I know, anything labeled "sugar" could potentially NOT be Vegan. If it says "raw sugar" or "cane sugar" or "fructose" it is fine.

"Sucrose" is just another labeling word for sugar, as far as I know they are one and the same.

If you look at vegan candy bars or energy bars or anything vegan that has "sugar" in it, you'll see it labeled as "raw cane sugar" or something like that, where other foods will just have "sugar" as an igredient and most of the time that means refined sugar that could have had animal products used in the refining process.

There are more technical and detailed descriptions online, this is just an easy way to look at it.

I avoid anything that has sugar or sucrose as an ingredient.

I think that is OK. Organic Sugar, RAW sugar, cane sugar, unbleached sugar, etc. are all good as far as I know.

Basically if you just avoid crap foods you'll be safe

The only reason I allowed myself to buy it (aside from my massive craving for lemonade. ) is the fact that Potter said to me that Organic Sugar can't be refined through animals (or something like that).